Is the bar scene turning audiences away?

What would you say is a better alternative venue to the bar/night club scene?

• Total voters

wwwsmmonet

mainman said:
Maybe I am the first one that had an open forum to say it in or the balls, either way don't bother, I won't be visiting again...:yay:

I'm sorry to hear that. I do appologize for not having content that interests you, we do cater specifically to those who wish to gain more knowledge of the local music scene in the Southern Maryland area. It was an open invite, assuming that the local music scene is not your thing, maybe we can help you in the future.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I doubt it applies anymore simply because of the passage of time, but of the gigs I played back in the 1970's, field parties/concerts drew the best crowds, and community centers were a close second. Bars were only good if they agreed to a fixed fee regardless of attendance and were willing to commit to more than one or two nights. The only exception to these would be when you could be on the same billing as a big name, and then venue didn't seem to matter.

BuddyLee

Football addict
vraiblonde said:
I, personally, don't go to many live music venues because I'm 41 years old and not interested in a bunch of 20-somethings and their drama and fights, not to mention their drugs. I tend to like restaurants that have live entertainment rather than a club because the crowd is older.
:yeahthat: Except for the 41 years old part.

The last semi-concert I went to in Southern Maryland I was certainly not pleased. I believe it was at the Spring Fest last year at the St. Mary's County fairgrounds. I like most types of music but I don't think I could declare this 'music' really. I wish they would have played a lil rock in between but it was nothing but screaming.:confused: I didn't really fit into that 'goth' crowd.

I love listening to live music (as long as it isn't moshing to a punk band in some dark, overstuffed club basement...:yikes:) and I really like the "dinner with live music" venue the best. In fact, I had so much fun at my last visit to Griff's Landing, I have informed my family I intend to get a summer house in Frederick so that I can go there every weekend...:getdown:

happyazz

Skiing in the clouds
vraiblonde said:
I like a bar and I like food. Outdoor concerts are okay except typically you can't drink and they almost always frown on smoking.

Plus the music should be a backdrop to the socializing. If you're Van Halen, okay - people will pay rapt attention to the music. But if you're a local band, you're the background. So don't crank it up or you'll just piss us off and we'll leave because we can't have a conversation while you're making a racket.

:yeahthat:
The few years ago I went to Monks, only had one drink and left. I had to cup my hand and yell into my sister ear to be heard and talking to more then one person at a time was totally out of the question. I have not been back.

Is anyone here old enough to remember Country Tavren, Village Barn, Black Eyed Susan ect. ? It was a bar with many owners and names. Located where the new Foodlion in Calloway is. It was a large building, which brings up my next point. A regular bar in front, with pool tables in the middle room and a large hall in the back where the bands played. Sure it had its share of dirtbags
and drama and drugs, but the place was big enough that you only had to be apart of what you wanted to. The bands played real rock music. Not this DANCE CRAP, TECHNO or SCREAMMING ?MUSIC?. And you could even have a conversation in the dance hall! Go figure!
Oh the days of my youth!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
happyazz said:
:yeahthat:
The few years ago I went to Monks, only had one drink and left. I had to cup my hand and yell into my sister ear to be heard and talking to more then one person at a time was totally out of the question. I have not been back.

Is anyone here old enough to remember Country Tavren, Village Barn, Black Eyed Susan ect. ? It was a bar with many owners and names. Located where the new Foodlion in Calloway is. It was a large building, which brings up my next point. A regular bar in front, with pool tables in the middle room and a large hall in the back where the bands played. Sure it had its share of dirtbags
and drama and drugs, but the place was big enough that you only had to be apart of what you wanted to. The bands played real rock music. Not this DANCE CRAP, TECHNO or SCREAMMING ?MUSIC?. And you could even have a conversation in the dance hall! Go figure!
Oh the days of my youth!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep, remember all those names and Ark & Dove, plus Charlie's Villa. The layout was great for the ability to socialize while out. Pennie's was about the same (in layout) and so wasn't Leonardtown Wharf. There aren't many of the larger establishments left where you could obtain the variety of activities mentioned where you aren't drowned out by the band.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
happyazz said:
Is anyone here old enough to remember Country Tavren, Village Barn, Black Eyed Susan ect. ? It was a bar with many owners and names. Located where the new Foodlion in Calloway is.

Ark & Dove and Roadhouse were a couple of other names it had if I remember correctly.

Toxick

Splat
wwwsmmonet said:
I am really curious to know, from everyone, why do you not go to a bar or night club to see live bands perform? What is the exact turn-off for you in your decision to not go see a live band in a local Southern Maryland bar?

The last time I went to a bar in southern maryland, there were roughly 9,000 people packed into 900 square feet - half of them were stoned or coked-out, all were sweating, all drunk, all smoking, all trying to get laid.

Most other gathering places turn into sausage-fests where a fight can and often does break out over any stupid thing.

The bar scene in SOMD sucked ass when I was part of it, and I doubt that it's changed much since I got out of it.

H

HollowSoul

Hmmmm.
I think most generally it is an age issue and the genre of music/talent available.
A conversation i had with Tomchamp at the rondevous(sp) get-together clued me into something.
He clicked on my lil rocker dude on my siggy and said that he really couldn'y "get into" my type of music...and i respect that.
If a band was to play the genre of classic rock, the only crowd they are going to draw is around 29-38. anyone younger than that is not going to relate and anyone older is not going to bother going out.
If the band was to play "harder" music...ie Godsmack/Saliva ect, the crowd is gonna be between 18-28
Another problemb that I personally forsee is location, All establishments around here are small, and if a band was to play....even at a lower descible level it's still gonna drown out the socializing.
Not that i think i have explained genre...now i will try to explain talent

Most of the musicians in this area realize that their major target crowd comes from the college. And a good percentage of the college kids are into "punk/ska" and some hip hop.
I don't know much about hip-hop "i have never been to a concert" but punk/ska has a certain.....well for a lack of better words, skill level to atain that sound. So if you try to play 311/ramones ect...and you suck at it....well there went your crowd right out the window.

If i had the $$ this is what i would do...
Find a location that is BIG ENOUGH to feature bands, assign certain genres to different nights/weekends/whatever. After a few weeks you should be seeing an increase in TALENTED MUSICIANS/BANDS....and an increase in CROWDS

my $0.2

tomchamp

Hey hollow!

It was fun talking to you the other night...and I'm glad I met you! Anyway there was a band that used to come down here about once a month...they played at Nokleby's. Played great classic rock....I think they played at The Creek a few times also....Transfusion! :dude:

Last edited: