Jail/Prisons & Insanity.

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
JPC said:
:coffee: Reports say that there are over 2 million persons (male and female) are imprisoned in the USA, and some 32,000 in the State of Maryland system, and a daily average of 308 inmates in the St. Mary's County Detention Center (SMCDC), and our SMCDC is only designed to hold 245 inmates so our's is abusively over full.

I have taken tour of the jail when I was on the Grand Jury. They have better housing and meals then our soldiers fighting oversees. Join the military, eat an MRE out in the 110 degree heat while you are being shot at, and maybe I will sympathize with you. :smack:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Flipside said:
Do you really think all these idiots are giving the Police permission to search their cars when they know damn well they got something in the car. NOT!
:lol: Of course they do. When the nice officer offers you a choice between a quick roadside search or getting a search warrant, impounding the vehical and dissassembling it, they opt for the roadside search.

Flipside said:
So on one hand we have a lot of our young adults doing jail time and getting undeserved permanent records for very petty offenses.
Why is it "underserved"? If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

J

JPC, Sr.

The Wizard!

Pandora said:
JPC,

Cruel and unusual would be prying off your toenails with pliers and making you eat them.
:larry: It is not that if we go by the U.S. Constitution and the U.S. Supreme Court interpretation of cruel and unusual punishment.

Then what Pandora is describing is torture, and us returning to the dark ages.
:whistle:

J

JPC, Sr.

The Wizard!

oldman said:
So you're saying all those in jail for non-payment had been working but the court ordered them to give all their earnings to the child/children or perhaps they were all afflicted with a disability just as the judge ordered them to pay. You've certainly opened my eyes because I had always thought they were just deadbeats to begin with but now I understand. After all, nobody would just go around making babies knowing they couldn't or wouldn't support them. Yep that's it, they had good intentions but the legal system got them down.
:larry: God bless you, that is exactly right. It is just that simple.
:jameo:

Toxick

Splat
JPC said:
Reports say that there are over 2 million persons (male and female) are imprisoned in the USA

2 million inmates, out of a country of 300 million persons - that's only 0.6%.

Not too shabby.

And I would daresay there are more dangerous criminals walking the streets than there are filling prison cells.

J

JPC, Sr.

The Wizard!

hvp05 said:
You make it sound like it's some kind of secret society. Probably the reason the average citizen does not hear much from within the system is that there is rarely anything valuable to pay attention to. Most inmate complaints are along the lines of, "I want more peanut butter," or "My pillow isn't fluffy enough!"
:larry: There might be some inmates that complain about peanut butter and pillows but that just shows that they are immature and need to be helped to grow up and not degraded and disposed of. But the more mature and more educated inmates make real complaints about the abuses and the mistreatments the beatings the unhealthy living conditions and particularly they complain about being denied their Constitutional rights because our prisoners are American citizens.
hvp05 said:
Previously you have stated they judged you mentally stable. Is this an obscure admission/retraction?
:jameo: No, I do not have a mental illness myself but I do know many people that do and I am very concerned about the issue of mental illness and I have studied the subject very much. I certainly do not like using the jails and prisons as a means of confining the mentally ill and that appears to be the case now.
hvp05 said:
Yes, you're wonderfully informative. But where is your proposal for reform?
:whistle: I am not making this a part of my campaign platform and I see the first step to any reform is to expose the problem, and I certainly am open to any helpful ideas to reform the system.
hvp05 said:
Given that you want to deflate a large percentage of St. Mary's' tax base, I can't imagine that you want to build a new incarceration facility. Perhaps you believe that once you have successfully deflated the aforementioned tax base there won't be many people left to commit crimes.
:whistle: To build a new jail I do agree with as the old SMCDC is in need of repair and it is abusively overfull. But I still say that if we start to control the growth and stop the reckless inflation then the crime rate will drop too.
hvp05 said:
Or maybe you simply wish to release the poor, abused mentally fragile folks to roam free with impunity. Then they can run for public office and join you in running St. Mary's into the ground! :rolleyes:
:jameo: To release the poor and the mentally fragile is a great idea.

JPC said:
To release the poor and the mentally fragile is a great idea.
You are advocating the poor and "mentally fragile" citizens of this country should be given waivers from having to follow the laws... :eyebrow:

R

residentofcre

JPC said:
: No, I do not have a mental illness myself but I do know many people that do and I am very concerned about the issue of mental illness and I have studied the subject very much.

Ok.... you do know that the first sign of a mental illness is the denial that you have it.... :coffee:

JPC said:
:But I still say that if we start to control the growth and stop the reckless inflation then the crime rate will drop too. :jameo: To release the poor and the mentally fragile is a great idea.

You know of course that being poor or mentally fragile is not the reason people go to child for non-payment of child support...

You know that the crime is not being poor or mentally fragile... the crime is contempt of court.... you know that right? :coffee:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
residentofcre said:
Ok.... you do know that the first sign of a mental illness is the denial that you have it.... :coffee:

You know of course that being poor or mentally fragile is not the reason people go to child for non-payment of child support...

You know that the crime is not being poor or mentally fragile... the crime is contempt of court.... you know that right? :coffee:
People in glass-houses .... :killingme

MMDad

Lem Putt
JPC said:

From your link:

100% compliance with Maryland Commission on Correctional Standards for Adult Detention Centers.

You think it's overcrowded, but the detention center meets state standards. Your definition versus the legal definition. Guess which one wins?

JPC said:
The requirement is that each individual person needs at least 55 square feet of living space

I lived on a Navy ship for 4 1/2 years. In a 800 square foot berthing area, there were 36 men, with the bunks stacked three high. My private space was 36" X 72" X 48".

There were two showers for those 36 men. Three toilets. Two sinks. The water usually smelled like fuel oil, but at least that was better than when it wasn't available at all.

The air conditioning usually kept the temperature below 90 degrees in the summer.

And just think, these conditions did not cause any of the "fights and suicides and homocides and pervertions and diseases and more." Why? We weren't a bunch of criminals, so we didn't act like that.

Detention center inmates have better living conditions than the men and women who go to war for you. You should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking about improving the conditions for common criminals.

Last edited:
J

JPC, Sr.

The Wizard!

residentofcre said:
:larry: So do you believe that nonsense?? I certainly do not, and it is not a proffessionally reccognized deffinition of any sign of any mental illness. It is just an unimformed statement.
residentofrce said:
You know of course that being poor or mentally fragile is not the reason people go to [jail] for non-payment of child support...

:whistle: Of course I know that poor people are put into jail for child support and the law calls it "Contempt of Court". My point was that the only contempt is that the parent is poor so putting poor parents in jail for being poor and then having many parents locked up in jail while they are deadbroke and demanding child support from deadbroke parents is far more of a contempt for law and contempt for justice then is the parent for being to poor to pay the child support demands.

J

JPC, Sr.

The Wizard!

MysticalMom said:
:larry: One of our Democrat candidates for MD. Governor, - Doug Duncan (D-Mont.) link here, has reported that the reason he is dropping out of the campaign for Governor is because he is battling "clinical depession", which is a very common and debilitating mental illness. I think Duncan is really brave and bold for telling this to the public since we all know that many in the public are still ignorant and prejudiced of mental illness and of depression especially.

The reality is that all human beings get depressed to some level or another. I use to help calm other inmates in jail by telling them that when any person gets locked up in jail then only a real nut case would not get depressed at all.

So I figure that any person that says they never get depressed is either lying or do not know when they get it or else they would have to be living a truly sheltered and do nothing life.

There are minor cases of depession and hard cases and then the top clinical depression is said to be the worse kind of all (excluding doing nothing about the depression or committing suicide). Link for "Depression" click here.

There are many persons less fortunate then Doug Duncan that can not pay for professional help or can not afford their medications, so many with mental illnesses and minor depressions end up in trouble with the law and then get dumped into the jails and prisons.

R

residentofcre

JPC said:
:larry: So do you believe that nonsense?? I certainly do not, and it is not a proffessionally reccognized deffinition of any sign of any mental illness. It is just an unimformed statement. :whistle: Of course I know that poor people are put into jail for child support and the law calls it "Contempt of Court". My point was that the only contempt is that the parent is poor so putting poor parents in jail for being poor and then having many parents locked up in jail while they are deadbroke and demanding child support from deadbroke parents is far more of a contempt for law and contempt for justice then is the parent for being to poor to pay the child support demands.

Oh... that's what they all say :killingme

Once again I have to say... it is a non-custodial parent's job to work... The court takes a non-custodial parent's ability to pay into account... and there is absolutely no excuse for a person not to work....

Sometimes jail for contempt of court is the only way to teach some people that they need to take care of their children....

:coffee:

Pooh31

Okay, I have been reading what this idiot has been saying for awhile now and I just have some things to say.
If the fathers or mothers would pay their child support then they would not be sitting in jail. They are not poor people who can't pay their support, they DECIDE not to pay it. They think that they are above the law and nothing can happen to them. And when child support is set up by the courts, it is not set up to make the absent parent pay all of their money. The absent parent brings in his/her paystubs and then support is set. When these people go to court they are not just thrown in jail, they are found guilty of contempt and given 30 days to pay a purge, and if they dont follow through with that, then they serve 179 day sentence in jail.
There is no need to blame our BOSE, they are doing all that they can to get child support for these children. If these absent parents would just live up to thier responibilities then we would not have this problem.
Stop crying because you went to jail for non support payment, you should have just been a man and paid money for your child.

J

JPC, Sr.

The Wizard!

Pooh31 said:
If the fathers or mothers would pay their child support then they would not be sitting in jail. They are not poor people who can't pay their support, they DECIDE not to pay it. They think that they are above the law and nothing can happen to them.
:larry: See I am talking about a physical reality that the parents in jail do not have any money or assets to pay the child support demands. The proof is in the reality that the law can take the parents car or bank accounts or even take their pocket cash if the parent has enough so the cold hard reality is that we have deadbroke parents in jail and demanding cash payments that it is impossible - note impossible - for the parent to pay the child support demands.

But the above quoted poster is saying that she can read their minds and she knows what the parents are thinking and she wants us to keep parents in jail because they think wrong and ignore the blatant reality that the parents can not - impossible - can not pay the unjust demands of our child support system.

J

JPC, Sr.

The Wizard!

residentofcre said:
Oh... that's what they all say :killingme

Once again I have to say... it is a non-custodial parent's job to work... The court takes a non-custodial parent's ability to pay into account... and there is absolutely no excuse for a person not to work....
:larry: There are many reasons not to work or more correctly not to have a job.
1) Got laid off,
2) Got fired,
3) Quit,
4) Got sick,
5) Got injured,
6) Got enlightened,
8) Weather conditions,
9) Seasonal jobs.

And I am sure there are more perfectly reasonable reasons for not working.
residentofrce said:
Sometimes jail for contempt of court is the only way to teach some people that they need to take care of their children....

:coffee:
:whistle: WE are not their mommy and we are not their daddies and they do not need teaching to take care of their own children. If we would start seeing others as equal to ourself and get off that superiority kick then the problems can start to be addressed.