Lexington Park named one of the richest cities in America

Toxick

Splat
When most people think of LP, they think of Great Mills Rd. From a demographic standpoint, one must look at the boundaries of zip code 20653. Looking at that, one will see why "Lexington Park" has such a high median income.

I used to deliver Pizza down there. I've been through every nook and cranny of Lexington Park.

Of course, there are some non-crappy, even nice -- even very nice -- parts of Lexington Park, to be sure - but there is NOTHING that I have seen which could elevate it that far.

It's possible that I just never got to visit the Glamour Hot-Spots of L.P. City.

But I doubt it.

Maybe there are millionaires sprinkled throughout, who just keep it on the DL.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I used to deliver Pizza down there. I've been through every nook and cranny of Lexington Park.

Of course, there are some non-crappy, even nice -- even very nice -- parts of Lexington Park, to be sure - but there is NOTHING that I have seen which could elevate it that far.

It's possible that I just never got to visit the Glamour Hot-Spots of L.P. City.

But I doubt it.

Maybe there are millionaires sprinkled throughout, who just keep it on the DL.

Once again, a lot of people have a misunderstanding of what constitutes "Lexington Park". From reading your post, I suspect you are one of them. It's not just Great Mills Rd, as many believe. Look at the map of the 20653 zip code. All of these areas are included when determining the median income of Lexington Park. There are quite a few areas in Lexington Park where very pricy homes exist and high income earners live.

LP.jpg

Baker12

Lexington Park is from Cooks to the bridge. Not exactly paradise and based on that map, not a lot of waterfront(expensive) homes. I live on the water, am not part of LP, but whenever someone uses waze or mapquest to get to my place it reads Lex Park. And 99% of people cringe when they hear Lex Park. It is what it is, people who work on the base or addicts and dealers

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
When most people think of LP, they think of Great Mills Rd. From a demographic standpoint, one must look at the boundaries of zip code 20653. Looking at that, one will see why "Lexington Park" has such a high median income.

But this "report" is just not Lexington Park, although that is what the headline from The Baynet purported. I linked to the actual story earlier they pulled it from (24/7 Wall St.) and the original story said "California-Lexington Park" so the info is pulled from a much broader area. I tried to find what the boundaries are from where THEY got it from (U.S. Census Bureau’s 2016 American Community Survey) but couldn't find that anywhere.

What I did find is that survey classifies area as metropolitan or micropolitan. Their definitions:

Metropolitan Statistical Area—A Core Based Statistical Area associated with at least one urbanized area that has a population of at least 50,000. The Metropolitan Statistical Area comprises the central county or counties containing the core, plus adjacent outlying counties having a high degree of social and economic integration with the central county or counties as measured through commuting.

Micropolitan Statistical Area—A Core Based Statistical Area associated with at least one urban cluster that has a population of at least 10,000, but less than 50,000. The Micropolitan Statistical Area comprises the central county or counties containing the core, plus adjacent outlying counties having a high degree of social and economic integration with the central county or counties as measured through commuting.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.go...sets/fedreg_2010/06282010_metro_standards.pdf

They list California-Lexington Park as METROPOLITAN, not micropolitan and I think this is very misleading. According to the way they worded it above, they are including the entire county (111k+) to determine this because the population of California and Lexington Park combined is less than 25k.

Anyhoo, interesting enough for discussion and some laughs. :smile:

glhs837

Power with Control
Even that maps for poop. Lex Park goes way farther south than that. Includes for instance St James subdivision and a slew of expensive waterfront joints.

Attachments

• Lexington Park Borders.jpg
    Lexington Park Borders.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 315

glhs837

Power with Control
Lexington Park is from Cooks to the bridge. Not exactly paradise and based on that map, not a lot of waterfront(expensive) homes. I live on the water, am not part of LP, but whenever someone uses waze or mapquest to get to my place it reads Lex Park. And 99% of people cringe when they hear Lex Park. It is what it is, people who work on the base or addicts and dealers

Nope. I live south of Cooks and my address is Lexington Park. Cooks isn't in the Park, actually, it's in Park Hall, which is a carve out from the Park, and makes the numbers bteer because it cuts out the Cooks trailer park :) Once you get south of St Marys City, It's Lex Park all the way down near St Inigoes. And on the Rt 5 side it goes down to Dameron. Buddy of mine lives in Whitehall Famrs, that's the Park, another one live in St James, that's Lexington Park.

Toxick

Splat
From reading your post, I suspect you are one of them.

You suspect incorrectly.

I know exactly what constitutes Lexington Park - and I've been all over the mother ####er.

Multiple times, even.

Also, not being a troglodytic mouth-breathing imbecile, I have a fair idea about how statistics are calculated, and the various concepts therein, such as what an interquartile mean is, versus an average or a median.

And again: there is nothing that I have seen which could elevate it that far.

I'm not saying the article is bull####. Nor am I saying you, or the author are lying, stupid, or wrong.

What I am saying (and perhaps I was unclear in my original post) is that I've combed that freaking town - the whole area outlined in red on your little map there; as well as the excluded area which makes up PAX , and down past St. James - and it seems to me, that Lexington Park being on that list, especially when compared to other places I've been which are not on that list, is very odd, to say the least. Therefore, there must be some hidden treasures of which I had previously been unaware.

Clem72

I'm not saying the article is bull####. Nor am I saying you, or the author are lying, stupid, or wrong.

I don't think anyone here is arguing that the article is correct. The issue with your post was when you mentioned that you have been everywhere and have seen "even some very nice" houses in LP, then expressing that perhaps there are some hidden millionaires you are unaware of.

The fact is, there are some very unhidden millionaires in LP. And a good deal of the property of the extended map GLHS provided belongs to them. I live in LP and while my house is modest (only worth 275-300k I think), some of my immediate neighbors have million dollar properties.

Toxick

Splat
I don't think anyone here is arguing that the article is correct. The issue with your post was when you mentioned that you have been everywhere and have seen "even some very nice" houses in LP, then expressing that perhaps there are some hidden millionaires you are unaware of.

The fact is, there are some very unhidden millionaires in LP. And a good deal of the property of the extended map GLHS provided belongs to them. I live in LP and while my house is modest (only worth 275-300k I think), some of my immediate neighbors have million dollar properties.

:shrug:

The chaff:wheat ratio still seems pretty friggin' high to me.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Once again, a lot of people have a misunderstanding of what constitutes "Lexington Park". From reading your post, I suspect you are one of them. It's not just Great Mills Rd, as many believe. Look at the map of the 20653 zip code. All of these areas are included when determining the median income of Lexington Park. There are quite a few areas in Lexington Park where very pricy homes exist and high income earners live.
Check out Park Hall ES, Carver ES, Lexington Park ES, Greenview Knolls ES and Green Holly ES and count the title 1 students, and which of those schools has enough title 1 students to qualify as a Title One school.
I also think it would be easy to bias the statistics by simply not counting people who don't earn any income. Are they counting the homeless?
Your "high wage" earners are not millionaires. High wage isn't over 200K, more likely 150 - capped.

As I said, most of these stories are biased by how the input is collected.

black dog

Free America
It's funny to watch folks argue about Lexington Park, soon one would think that it's so upscale that they would want a zip code change so they can then be considered part of Lexington Park like North Bethesa, North Potomac but in the end it's just Rockville..

Baker12

It’s been “in progress” for over a year, who knows. Their food is great, service is great, and the line at lunch is always long. One of the few places in St Marys that feels real

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
It’s been “in progress” for over a year, who knows. Their food is great, service is great, and the line at lunch is always long. One of the few places in St Marys that feels real

I love that place.
Awesome sandwiches.
I have yet to try the pizza, but I hear that it is awesome too.