Lexington Park named one of the richest cities in America

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
But this "report" is just not Lexington Park, although that is what the headline from The Baynet purported. I linked to the actual story earlier they pulled it from (24/7 Wall St.) and the original story said "California-Lexington Park" so the info is pulled from a much broader area. I tried to find what the boundaries are from where THEY got it from (U.S. Census Bureau’s 2016 American Community Survey) but couldn't find that anywhere.

What I did find is that survey classifies area as metropolitan or micropolitan. Their definitions:

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.go...sets/fedreg_2010/06282010_metro_standards.pdf

They list California-Lexington Park as METROPOLITAN, not micropolitan and I think this is very misleading. According to the way they worded it above, they are including the entire county (111k+) to determine this because the population of California and Lexington Park combined is less than 25k.

Anyhoo, interesting enough for discussion and some laughs. :smile:

According to this map, the California-Lexington Park, MD MSA is the entire county.

Toxic, I am not sure when you did pizza delivery but I can assure you there has been quite a bit of new neighborhoods you haven't been to within the big 3 pizza shops' LP/California/Great Mills delivery area. Even in Leonardtown and Hollywood. Over the past 10+ years I have added many new streets in open source mapping software that eventually made it into google maps using my data.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
It's funny to watch folks argue about Lexington Park, soon one would think that it's so upscale that they would want a zip code change so they can then be considered part of Lexington Park like North Bethesa, North Potomac but in the end it's just Rockville..

Not so much that as you do get tired of saying where you live is nothing but trailer parks,hookers and homeless folks.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
In other news...

Same publication. Shocker! :lmao:

Waldorf Named One of USA's Best Places to Live

Waldorf is included in 24/7 Wall Street’s 2017 list of the Top 50 Best Places to Live. The city was ranked #18 out of 50 cities across the United States. The Top 50 Best Places to Live list is based on more than three dozen socioeconomic measures, including population, median home value, poverty rate, and percentage of residents with at least a bachelor’s degree, to identify the 50 best American cities to live in.

Other Washington, D.C. suburbs to make the list included Columbia, Maryland and Arlington, Virginia. Waldorf is noted for not only having easy access to entertainment venues and cultural amenities in the nation’s capital, but also having a greater concentration of restaurants and cafes than is typical nationwide.

waldorf.jpg
(Couldn't they find a better picture to use? :killingme )

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/1017/waldorf-named-one-of-usas-best-places-to-live.html

PeoplesElbow

They should have used the picture of the liquor store on the corner of RT 5 and Old Washington Rd that has all the signs "Income Taxes Prepared" "Money Orders" "CPA on site" etc. And isn't that picture Hughesville?

black dog

Free America
They should have used the picture of the liquor store on the corner of RT 5 and Old Washington Rd that has all the signs "Income Taxes Prepared" "Money Orders" "CPA on site" etc. And isn't that picture Hughesville?

Yep, its the women's / kids shelter..

Baker12

Whenever people new to the area come to my house, I always give them directions so that they can avoid 235 and Lexington Park because it is so atrocious. Lex Park is a glorified trailer park, sorry folks

wddolson

Half of you didn't even open the link. It says California-Lexington Park, MD. Then everybody starts commenting on how bad Great Mills is and blah blah blah.

BernieP

Resident PIA
would that be an entertainment or dining venue?

I told you, these lists are pure BS

officeguy

Half of you didn't even open the link. It says California-Lexington Park, MD. Then everybody starts commenting on how bad Great Mills is and blah blah blah.

The data is for the 'metropolitan statistical area' which encompasses the entire county (you can pull up the CBSA map on the census website).

From the source article:

To determine the richest cities in America, 24/7 Wall St. reviewed data from the U.S. Census Bureau’s 2016 American Community Survey. We identified the 25 U.S. metropolitan statistical areas with the highest median household incomes. Poverty rates, median home values, and educational attainment also came from the ACS. Unemployment rates are from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and are as of August 2017, the most recent period for which data is available. Cost of living by metro area, or regional price parity, is for 2015 and came from the Bureau of Economic Analysis.

They looked at more than per capita incomes or home values. They looked at a mix of factors. Compared with other areas I can see that St Marys is doing well after you take the lack of unemployment and other factors into account.

Last edited: