Crime LOOTING: Victoria's Secret in Waldorf

DannyMotorcycle

Your choice, my point is that more people think like that, the more people like these two can decide they will do stuff like this. If there was a real risk of physically being stopped, there would be less of it. This isn't about VS, or some cheap garment. It's about society deciding enough of this crap is enough and taking steps to stop it when you see it. Risk? Yep, sure is. Risk in everything you do. For me, the positive gain is worth the risk.

I'd rather they target big business than anyone.. every minute they are stealing from a big business is every minute they are not stealing from an individual. People are not going to
stop stealing until the likelihood of getting caught is 100% or the penalty isn't worth it if caught. If the public always grabs them at the store, providing free security for VS, then they will
just be burglarizing your house... since the court isn't penalizing them.. I'd rather they have at VS. I don't shop there. VS should just put tags on their clothes or something.

The risks and liabilities aren't worth it.. I value being a father not putting my life at risk and mixing my world in with idiots. Being alive and healthy is my first priority for my kids..
having a theft free shopping mall is relatively unimportant. I don't need a mall at all. I can't tell you how many tens of years it's been that i've shopped in a mall.

I'm sorry what i value as important, is far more practical than your ideals. Let all the idiot lemmings have at the malls for all I care. The mall needs to work on their security, not me, or us. i'm not trying to get shot, stabbed, or cut by a moron, or sued because some idiot got hurt being captured stealing. If this keeps the criminals busy, good. Better big business than an individual. sure maybbe everyone pays a little more.. well everyone who shops at those stores.. i don't.. but yea.. not my problem.

officeguy

Wait, let me make sure I understand:

You can go into Dick's and steal stuff and nobody will stop you?

Like, can I take anything or does it have to be something I can conceal under a coat or stick in my purse?

You can go into most corporate retail stores and do that. 'Loss prevention' is all deterrence. If someone is not deterred, the staff has orders to let them just walk out. The 'shrinkage' is calculated into the price. A multi-million lawsuit for 'false imprisonment' and the negative PR from video of your staff tackling an 'innocent child' is not calculated into the price. On saturdays, Best Buy in the Dorf has an off-duty state trooper at the door to keep the locals from walking out with entire TVs.

littlelady

God bless the USA
You can go into most corporate retail stores and do that. 'Loss prevention' is all deterrence. If someone is not deterred, the staff has orders to let them just walk out. The 'shrinkage' is calculated into the price. A multi-million lawsuit for 'false imprisonment' and the negative PR from video of your staff tackling an 'innocent child' is not calculated into the price. On saturdays, Best Buy in the Dorf has an off-duty state trooper at the door to keep the locals from walking out with entire TVs.

Wow. I have always heard alarms go off in Walmart, Kmart and Peebles in PF, and thought it was because the tags were not scanned right when purchased. There is more theft than I knew about. I have always known that some go into a dressing room and take of tags and layer clothes, and walk out; it is against my sensibilities and the way I was raised. The word 'brazen' used in this thread sums it up. I cannot even stand when I get too much credit or money back. I always point out the mistake because I think the employee will get penalized. I am too honest for my own good, but I like that part of me. My dad always told me that, too. I loved him so, and he and my mom taught me well. It has gotten me into trouble multiple times on this forum, but that's ok. I can live with that. :lol:

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
I'd rather they target big business than anyone.. every minute they are stealing from a big business is every minute they are not stealing from an individual. People are not going to
stop stealing until the likelihood of getting caught is 100% or the penalty isn't worth it if caught. If the public always grabs them at the store, providing free security for VS, then they will
just be burglarizing your house... since the court isn't penalizing them.. I'd rather they have at VS. I don't shop there. VS should just put tags on their clothes or something.

The risks and liabilities aren't worth it.. I value being a father not putting my life at risk and mixing my world in with idiots. Being alive and healthy is my first priority for my kids..
having a theft free shopping mall is relatively unimportant. I don't need a mall at all. I can't tell you how many tens of years it's been that i've shopped in a mall.

I'm sorry what i value as important, is far more practical than your ideals. Let all the idiot lemmings have at the malls for all I care. The mall needs to work on their security, not me, or us. i'm not trying to get shot, stabbed, or cut by a moron, or sued because some idiot got hurt being captured stealing. If this keeps the criminals busy, good. Better big business than an individual. sure maybbe everyone pays a little more.. well everyone who shops at those stores.. i don't.. but yea.. not my problem.

Your choice. Setting an example is more important to me. I'm surprised you ride a motorcycle, though, given that attitude..... :)

PeoplesElbow

Your choice. Setting an example is more important to me. I'm surprised you ride a motorcycle, though, given that attitude..... :)

Personally I would love to trip one as they are running away, in Maryland you could probably get charged with assault and battery for that though. The only way to take down someone like that is hard and quick, something I figure Maryland would frown upon.

BernieP

Resident PIA

Exactly and small businesses would be wise to follow the same model because they can't afford to be sued either.
Of course the winners in all this are the insurance companies (because they don't lose money even when they pay out), the lawyers (because they get paid) and the thief.
Even if they were guilty of the charge, they can, will sue for injuries either real or imagined.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Personally I would love to trip one as they are running away, in Maryland you could probably get charged with assault and battery for that though. The only way to take down someone like that is hard and quick, something I figure Maryland would frown upon.

Well you sue them first for running into you, claim they recklessly endangered your well being .
I can tell you that accidents like that happen.
It's like basketball and drawing a charging foul.

limblips

PREMO Member
I'd rather they target big business than anyone.. every minute they are stealing from a big business is every minute they are not stealing from an individual.

Do you really not understand that when somebody shoplifts they are stealing from individuals? I don't care where you shop the price of a product has an attached cost to allow for theft reimbursement. It is basic retailing. The higher the loss by theft, the higher the price. The shoplifters have the same idea as you, it is only stealing from the big bad businesses, when in fact the losses are passed on to every consumer, including you.

DannyMotorcycle

they have the shopkeepers law or something that allows people to be detained.. pissed me off when some idiot detained my mother because she put her groceries down and left to catch her bus,
idiot didn't see the groceries and thought she stole them and detained her for no reason, thinking she stole them without witnessing anything.. turned out nothing she could do.

DannyMotorcycle

I ride a lot differently now... and less frequently.. must have at least 200k miles under my belt and have been riding for the past 16 years uninterrupted, it's second nature, i thoroughly ride like i'm invisible and every vehicle driver is a moron who will do the most idiotic thing they can, and keep myself from being in a position to meet up with the craziest thing they can do

Last edited:

DannyMotorcycle

I'd rather they target big business than anyone.. every minute they are stealing from a big business is every minute they are not stealing from an individual.

Do you really not understand that when somebody shoplifts they are stealing from individuals? I don't care where you shop the price of a product has an attached cost to allow for theft reimbursement. It is basic retailing. The higher the loss by theft, the higher the price. The shoplifters have the same idea as you, it is only stealing from the big bad businesses, when in fact the losses are passed on to every consumer, including you.

you're reaching. If the price goes up, it's still not stealing from consumers as higher priced goods are still a choice that consumers agree to pay. Dont' get me wrong, i'm pro corporations and i'm not one of those "big bad business" haters at all... but yes, I'd rather idiots stay busy stealing bullcrap from stores than people... until the purge happens.

i'd rather goods go up in price and "pay for theft" than my personal property violated and pay for theft. until crime can be stopped, i'd rather manage it to something manageable. I have no sympathy for them or hatred towards business, i just call it being pragmatic.

Last edited:

DannyMotorcycle

Well you sue them first for running into you, claim they recklessly endangered your well being .
I can tell you that accidents like that happen.
It's like basketball and drawing a charging foul.

You'll get what, a cut of a welfare checK? meanwhile they'll get your house.

Don't forget we are living in a society that hates cops, allows riots, don't care about little girls safety, says men are women and women are men and chalk on the ground makes people feel threatened.. Be a hero in bizzaro world. let us know how that works out for you.

officeguy

Exactly and small businesses would be wise to follow the same model because they can't afford to be sued either.
Of course the winners in all this are the insurance companies (because they don't lose money even when they pay out), the lawyers (because they get paid) and the thief.
Even if they were guilty of the charge, they can, will sue for injuries either real or imagined.

Small businesses are less of a target. The suit against a large Corp relies on the PR damage in addition to the monetary damage. A small store where the customers know the proprietor (and often the scoundrel) is less exposed.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Not caring about theft because it happens at a "big store" is a slippery slope argument.
1) I don't care because it's at a mall I do not visit.
2) I don't care because it's Wal-Mart and they have plenty of money and I don't shop there.
3) I don't care because it's McKay's I don't shop there.
4) I don't care because it's a mom and pop local store and I don't shop there.
5) I don't care because it's my neighbors house and I don't live there.

Next thing you know, you're living in West Baltimore because you did not care.

limblips

PREMO Member
Not caring about theft because it happens at a "big store" is a slippery slope argument.
2) I don't care because it's Wal-Mart and they have plenty of money and I don't shop there.

Thank you. You did a much better job than I did trying to make the point.

PeoplesElbow

Exactly, but think about it this way. Lets say theft only happens at Walmart, they have to raise their prices to cover it, suddenly all of their competitors decide hey they aren't cheaper than us anymore, lets raise prices too. So the money is coming out of our pockets.

Someone that use to be in loss prevention at Walmart told me sometimes you see a plastic storage bin on the side of the road, I had always assumed that someone had it tied on their car and it fell off, he claims more often than not it was stolen from walmart loaded up with other stuff.

glhs837

Power with Control
I ride a lot differently now... and less frequently.. must have at least 200k miles under my belt and have been riding for the past 16 years uninterrupted, it's second nature, i thoroughly ride like i'm invisible and every vehicle driver is a moron who will do the most idiotic thing they can, and keep myself from being in a position to meet up with the craziest thing they can do

Well, we do have some common ground then....