Lunch

ZARA

Can you fry chicken and make chocolate chip cookies?
sorry...I haven't cooked fried chicken in about 12 yrs. I don't fry foods any more. Chocolate Chip cookies...that's easy.

Which was... what? Besides salt?

Asking because mine always seem to lack something....

Savory, Sage, Cardimom, and Caraway...there are 17 spices used in chicken and dumplings. Later, when I am more awake, I will sit down and type them all out for you. But it was delicious. I got mad raves from my hubs and son. I made them earlier in the year and they were blah. I couldn't figure out what I was missing. So I went online and printed out a spice list to see which ones I was missing. Went to the store and bought them and then smelled and tasted each one before I used it. I am amazed that my brain remembered.

Some you just use a dash..just barely 1/8 of a teaspoon. Others a little more. And it is an all day process because the spices have to simmer in the broth alone before you add the chicken and more spices added at different times because with some, like rosemary, sage, savory, Cardimom, and Caraway, they flavor becomes stronger the longer it cooks...so a dash will do ya..

ZARA

Which was... what? Besides salt?

Asking because mine always seem to lack something....

Here ya go:

Good Luck!

Chicken and Dumplings
Total cook time: 6 hours.
Ingredients
4.5 lbs bone-in chicken*
1 tsp Basil
1 Bay Leaf
1/8 Caraway Seed
1/8 tsp Cardamom
2 tsp Celery Seed
2 tsp Celery Salt
1 tsp Coriander Seed
1 tsp Marjoram
2 tsp Oregano
3 tsp Parsley
1 tsp Rosemary
1 tsp Sage
1/8 tsp Savory
1/2 tsp Tarragon
1 tsp Thyme
3 tsp Garlic Salt
1 clove Garlic Clove
to taste Sea Salt***
1 Tbls Chicken Base (not bouillon)

Dumpling Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 dash salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/2 cup REAL butter
3/4 cup buttermilk
¼ cup flour (optional)

Directions:
1. Place chicken in stock pot and bring to a rolling boil for 1.5 to 2 hours. Add water as necessary to keep chicken covered with water but no more than that.
2. Turn heat off and allow chicken to marinate in hot stock for an hour, two hours if you have time.
3. Remove the chicken and chicken bits from the chicken stock. Be sure to keep the stock.**
4. Separate the fat/grease from the stock.

Preparing the stock:
5. Pour 3/4ths of the stock into the stock pot, add seasonings below, and boil for 45 minutes.
Add:
1 tsp Basil
1 Bay Leaf
dash Caraway Seed (1/16 tsp or half 1/8 tsp)
dash Cardamom (1/16 tsp or half 1/8 tsp)
2 tsp Celery Seed
2 tsp Celery Salt
1/2 tsp Coriander Seed
1/2 tsp Marjoram
2 tsp Oregano
3 tsp Parsley
1/2 tsp Rosemary
1/2 tsp Sage
1/8 tsp Savory
1/2 tsp Tarragon
1 tsp Thyme
3 tsp Garlic Salt
1 clove Garlic Clove
to taste Sea Salt***

6. Debone the chicken and set aside.
7. After the stock has been cooking for 45 mins, add the remaining stock, chicken and:
1/2 tsp Coriander Seed
1/2 tsp Marjoram
1/2 tsp Rosemary
1/2 tsp Sage
Turn heat down to a slow simmer and simmer for 45 minutes. *This will make the chicken fall completely apart. If you prefer chicken clumps, do not add it until you add the dumplings.

8. Preparing the Dumplings:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 dash salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/2 cup REAL butter
3/4 cup buttermilk

Directions:
In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Cut in the buttermilk until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in the butter. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 1 minute. **You may roll it out and cut ½ biscuit size, sliders, or use drop method. – This recipe makes dumplings with a strong buttery flavor. If you prefer dumplings with less buttery flavor, use ¼ cup butter and 1 cup buttermilk.

9. Add Dumplings after the stock and seasonings have simmered for 45 minutes. Cook for 15-30 more minutes, depending on how “done” you like your dumplings.
10. Add ¼ cup flour if the stock isn’t thick enough.

That’s it. I had to “guesstimate” on the amounts of seasoning because I was cooking mostly by taste yesterday. The next time I cook chicken and dumplings, I will use this recipe and then tweak it accordingly to get the precise amounts. (I also cooked twice as much as what is listed here…)

Cooking notes:
*Chicken:
A whole chicken or chicken thighs, legs, quarter, which ever, doesn’t matter as long as it has the skin on and the bone in. The skin and the bones add extra flavor to the chicken stock as it cooks.

**Separating the chicken and grease from the stock:
I place a large metal bowl in the sink, inside of that a plastic gallon-sized tea pitcher, and on top of that, a colander.
The reason: The colander strains out most of the food particles/pieces from the stock which will be used. The tea pitcher condenses the area that the grease accumulates. The bowl is to catch any spills because all of the stock will be used (usually). There are a couple of tricks to separate grease from stock:
1. Place the tea pitcher and large metal bowl in fridge until the grease hardens and then scrap the grease out with a spoon.
2. Use paper towels to absorb the grease.
3. (My personal favorite because I don’t have patience to fiddle with the above two methods) Toss a lot of ice in the tea pitcher and large metal bowl, wait 10 minutes, use large spoon to scrap the ice and grease out.

***Salt. Sea Salt and Iodized Salt cooks differently. Iodized salt becomes saltier as it cooks.
I used about 1 1/2 tsp of sea salt total. I sprinkled a light amount at the beginning while cooking, and then a little more towards the end. IF you decide to use bouillon instead of chicken base, be careful with the amount of salt added, bouillon becomes saltier as it cooks.

Last edited:
Here ya go:

Good Luck!

Chicken and Dumplings
Ingredients
4.5 lbs bone-in chicken*
1 tsp Basil
1 Bay Leaf
1/8 Caraway Seed
1/8 tsp Cardamom
2 tsp Celery Seed
2 tsp Celery Salt
1 tsp Coriander Seed
1 tsp Marjoram
2 tsp Oregano
3 tsp Parsley
1 tsp Rosemary
1 tsp Sage
1/8 tsp Savory
1/2 tsp Tarragon
1 tsp Thyme
3 tsp Garlic Salt
1 clove Garlic Clove
to taste Sea Salt***

Dumpling Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 dash salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/2 cup REAL butter
3/4 cup buttermilk
¼ cup flour (optional)

Directions:
1. Place chicken in stock pot and bring to a rolling boil for 1.5 to 2 hours. Add water as necessary to keep chicken covered with water but no more than that.
2. Turn heat off and allow chicken to marinate in hot stock for an hour, two hours if you have time.
3. Remove the chicken and chicken bits from the chicken stock. Be sure to keep the stock.**

Preparing the stock:
5. Pour 3/4ths of the stock into the stock pot, add seasonings below, and boil for 45 minutes.
Add:
1 tsp Basil
1 Bay Leaf
2 tsp Celery Seed
2 tsp Celery Salt
1/2 tsp Coriander Seed
1/2 tsp Marjoram
2 tsp Oregano
3 tsp Parsley
1/2 tsp Rosemary
1/2 tsp Sage
1/8 tsp Savory
1/2 tsp Tarragon
1 tsp Thyme
3 tsp Garlic Salt
1 clove Garlic Clove
to taste Sea Salt***

7. After the stock has been cooking for 45 mins, add the remaining stock, chicken and:
1/2 tsp Coriander Seed
1/2 tsp Marjoram
1/2 tsp Rosemary
1/2 tsp Sage
Turn heat down to a slow simmer and simmer for 45 minutes. *This will make the chicken fall completely apart. If you prefer chicken clumps, do not add it until you add the dumplings.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 dash salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/2 cup REAL butter
3/4 cup buttermilk

Directions:
In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Cut in the buttermilk until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in the butter. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 1 minute. **You may roll it out and cut ½ biscuit size, sliders, or use drop method. – This recipe makes dumplings with a strong buttery flavor. If you prefer dumplings with less buttery flavor, use ¼ cup butter and 1 cup buttermilk.

9. Add Dumplings after the stock and seasonings have simmered for 45 minutes. Cook for 15-30 more minutes, depending on how “done” you like your dumplings.

That’s it. I had to “guesstimate” on the amounts of seasoning because I was cooking mostly by taste yesterday. The next time I cook chicken and dumplings, I will use this recipe and then tweak it accordingly to get the precise amounts. (I also cooked twice as much as what is listed here…)

Cooking notes:
*Chicken:
A whole chicken or chicken thighs, legs, quarter, which ever, doesn’t matter as long as it has the skin on and the bone in. The skin and the bones add extra flavor to the chicken stock as it cooks.

I place a large metal bowl in the sink, inside of that a plastic gallon-sized tea pitcher, and on top of that, a colander.
The reason: The colander strains out most of the food particles/pieces from the stock which will be used. The tea pitcher condenses the area that the grease accumulates. The bowl is to catch any spills because all of the stock will be used (usually). There are a couple of tricks to separate grease from stock:
1. Place the tea pitcher and large metal bowl in fridge until the grease hardens and then scrap the grease out with a spoon.
3. (My personal favorite because I don’t have patience to fiddle with the above two methods) Toss a lot of ice in the tea pitcher and large metal bowl, wait 10 minutes, use large spoon to scrap the ice and grease out.

***Salt. Sea Salt and Iodized Salt cooks differently. Iodized salt becomes saltier as it cooks.
I used about 1 1/2 tsp of sea salt total. I sprinkled a light amount at the beginning while cooking, and then a little more towards the end. IF you decide to use bouillon instead of chicken base, be careful with the amount of salt added, bouillon becomes saltier as it cooks.

:jameo: Too many words! :jameo:

ZARA

Thanx! I don't put half of those spices in.

I honestly don't think any one does. I have NEVER found a recipe that even remotely comes close or have tasted any that tastes as great as my bio-mom's cooking. I see a lot of crap recipes, taking short cuts, blah blah blah...and all of them are nasty, salty, tasteless, and overall, a waste of time.

I was just so happy last night I could not stop smiling! Which was fabulous because I was kinda sad because I didn't have a mom to call...and the Navy Yard crap...I was completely bummed yesterday.

But finally having this recipe written down makes all the difference. I have all my recipes saved on my external hard drive so my son will have them long after I am dead and they can be passed down to my grand kids and great grand kids..etc etc.

(I don't follow recipes, I make my own as I cook...or combine 15 different recipes adding and removing things as I like...lol)

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I honestly don't think any one does. I have NEVER found a recipe that even remotely comes close or have tasted any that tastes as great as my bio-mom's cooking. I see a lot of crap recipes, taking short cuts, blah blah blah...and all of them are nasty, salty, tasteless, and overall, a waste of time.

I was just so happy last night I could not stop smiling! Which was fabulous because I was kinda sad because I didn't have a mom to call...and the Navy Yard crap...I was completely bummed yesterday.

But finally having this recipe written down makes all the difference. I have all my recipes saved on my external hard drive so my son will have them long after I am dead and they can be passed down to my grand kids and great grand kids..etc etc.

(I don't follow recipes, I make my own as I cook...or combine 15 different recipes adding and removing things as I like...lol)

You forgot to invite me over to help ya taste it :tantrum

Pete

Repete
Here ya go:

Good Luck!

Chicken and Dumplings
Ingredients
4.5 lbs bone-in chicken*
1 tsp Basil
1 Bay Leaf
1/8 Caraway Seed
1/8 tsp Cardamom
2 tsp Celery Seed
2 tsp Celery Salt
1 tsp Coriander Seed
1 tsp Marjoram
2 tsp Oregano
3 tsp Parsley
1 tsp Rosemary
1 tsp Sage
1/8 tsp Savory
1/2 tsp Tarragon
1 tsp Thyme
3 tsp Garlic Salt
1 clove Garlic Clove
to taste Sea Salt***

Dumpling Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 dash salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/2 cup REAL butter
3/4 cup buttermilk
¼ cup flour (optional)

Directions:

Preparing the stock:
Add:
1 tsp Basil
1 Bay Leaf
2 tsp Celery Seed
2 tsp Celery Salt
1/2 tsp Coriander Seed
1/2 tsp Marjoram
2 tsp Oregano
3 tsp Parsley
1/2 tsp Rosemary
1/2 tsp Sage
1/8 tsp Savory
1/2 tsp Tarragon
1 tsp Thyme
3 tsp Garlic Salt
1 clove Garlic Clove
to taste Sea Salt***

1/2 tsp Coriander Seed
1/2 tsp Marjoram
1/2 tsp Rosemary
1/2 tsp Sage

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 dash salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/2 cup REAL butter
3/4 cup buttermilk

Directions:

Cooking notes:
*Chicken:

Can you repeat that?

Did you see that GWguy? She called your food crap. :coffee: