Marlow Heights 60s and 70s Newsletter, 2 Jan 2011

dawn

I grew up in Oxon Hill, went to Thomas Addison Elementary 73-76

:howdy: I went to Oxon Hill Elem 72-75

You're old .... :popcorn: :razz:

Geez........:whistle:

I have attended all of the Steak in a Sack get togethers for 2 years now. They are safe and fun. You meet in the middle of the day in a busy shopping center. Everyone should come out and see their old friends again, we won't live forever, some of us are already gone. Get together while you can.

:yay:

In other words, don't get caught there after dark or you're one dead cracker!

Not true.....

Sorry Chucky, Marlow Hieghts sux & so does your website.:bigwhoop:

Angry much?

I got you beat, I'm OLDER :killingme. I grew up there too. I remember shopping at Eastover for school clothes in 1st and 2nd grade. I went to Green Valley Elementary, Hillcrest Heights Elementary, Stoddert and Potomac. We walked everywhere too. Probably why we were all so skinny back then. I was a senior the year they started busing (72) so I was able to stay at Potomac. They didn't bus seniors the year it went into effect. I lived up there until my daughter was ready to start school and we moved down here. Plus I was sick of everything we had being stolen (car, motorcycle, plants, dog, etc.). I loved growing up there but then in the early 80s I began to hate it for the reasons above. I wonder how many here on the forums may have known each other back then.

My first job working at a law firm was in Eastover! I went to John Hanson Jr. High and Oxon Hill Sr. I used to love going to EJ Roberts to buy my Jordache jeans!

That may be but crime happens everywhere.... I would not recommend Springfield Mall, plenty of crime, car jackings and murders have taken place there.

Very true

That area has been the pits since the mid 60s. What time era did you actually walk to the store there???

I must have missed that memo, because it was 80’s and 90’s for me

Only people who can't afford better would WANT to live there. It's a HOOD and I moved from a worse HOOD (renting) to live there - go think?

KNEW while I lived there I HAD to better my life, so went to college while working FT so I could AFFORD to live BETTER. Now I do ..... :yahoo:

WOW, since my dad still lives there, I wonder if he knows that he cant afford better, and that according to you that is the reason he still wants to live there. I will have to ask him. :shrug:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Sorry but you can't honestly say he WANTS to live there with the current state of the environment around him? Who doesn't care that many feel like prisoners in their homes?

Like anyone really WANTS to live in a sea of crime and a flurry of sirens and bullets?

I feel bad for the people who ended up with that neighborhood as their retirement home. I certainly didn't want that to be be MY future. I saw the state of the area back when I did and made a decision that I did NOT want that to be MY future.

WOW, since my dad still lives there, I wonder if he knows that he cant afford better, and that according to you that is the reason he still wants to live there. I will have to ask him. :shrug:

dawn

Sorry but you can't honestly say he WANTS to live there with the current state of the environment around him? Who doesn't care that many feel like prisoners in their homes?

Like anyone really WANTS to live in a sea of crime and a flurry of sirens and bullets?

I feel bad for the people who ended up with that neighborhood as their retirement home. I certainly didn't want that to be be MY future. I saw the state of the area back when I did and made a decision that I did NOT want that to be MY future.

Well as far as I know he is happy and content there! My parents bought the house in 1972, and when National Harbor was completed, his house value skyrocketed. He had the option to leave then, but he is still there! :shrug: Now when you say "that neighborhood" are you referring to all Marlow Heights, Oxon Hill, Temple Hills, Camp Springs, etc....., or a specific neighborhood?

Either he is immune to it, or it could be that its not actually 24 hours of cops flying up and down the road, dodging bullets. To be honest when I am in Waldorf, I seem to hear a heck of a lot more sirens then when I am in Oxon Hill.

As far as being a prisonier in his home.....not hardly. He comes and goes as he pleases, and yes even after dark!

wineo

loving life
I grew up on Afton St. We rode our bikes everywhere, the Mall, Oxon Run Park. What freedom we had and no worries then. I went Overlook Elem and my siblings went to Stoddart and Potomac. Kids don't have the freedom we had then, and I am thankful for the childhood I had living there.

Thru Chucks website I have re-connected with people I grew up with and would have never found, if not for his site.

Sure it's considered the "Hood" now:cds:, but in the early 60's and 70's it was a great place to live.

Anyone one remember the "Freeway Phantom"?

Keep up the good work Chuck, we love being able to go back and remember things from our childhood.:buddies:

OldHillcrestGuy

I grew up on Afton St. We rode our bikes everywhere, the Mall, Oxon Run Park. What freedom we had and no worries then. I went Overlook Elem and my siblings went to Stoddart and Potomac. Kids don't have the freedom we had then, and I am thankful for the childhood I had living there.

Thru Chucks website I have re-connected with people I grew up with and would have never found, if not for his site.

Sure it's considered the "Hood" now:cds:, but in the early 60's and 70's it was a great place to live.

Keep up the good work Chuck, we love being able to go back and remember things from our childhood.:buddies:

:yay: Hey wineo havent seen you on here much. Was a great place to live growing up as a kid.

Thanks Chuck for such a wonderful site to bring back the memories.

I remember the Freeway Phantom.

On side note see where 4 people got shot on Norcross St at 27th Ave overnight, one died.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Look, I'm not trying to be personal and call people who live there bad names - many of the older people found themselves living there when things were okay, or not so bad, and eventually things became what they are now (worse). Most others who buy/rent there now do so due to lack of income to live in a better area.

My former neighbor felt stuck there after her hubby died and she had even LESS income to live on. She couldn't afford a lot so we helped her all we could, rain or shine. Did her yard work, took care of her trash (she was disabled), and when we left she was very sad. I felt bad leaving her behind. She felt like as prisoner in HER home, and she said so. I know not everyone feels that way.

While I lived there 10 years my home was broken into only 1 time and that was after my GSD died and I had a Rottie puppy (so hence no adult dog to deter the break-in) - that let me KNOW that people are always watching for an opportunity. I was really upset because they stole my coin collection and I didn't have it insured with a certificate that the insurance company requires, so all they gave me was the max. they allow for cash stolen (wasn't much).

When we were approved for a mortgage they said your approval is for X $$. So the agent showed us homes in that $$ range. It was NOT my ideal place to live by any means, but that's all my money would buy me. It was then in 1992 that I decided I HAD to better my earning potential or I'd be stuck living in an area like that all my life. Some people don't mind the area, I minded a lot.

That neighborhood to me means most of Temple Hills, Oxon Hill, and Suitland. I have lived in all 3 of those areas during my life and they all are undesirable areas in my opinion.

Give people a CHOICE of where they would LIKE to live regardless of their ability to pay? I guarantee you most people would NOT say Temple Hills, Oxon Hill or Suitland.

Well as far as I know he is happy and content there! My parents bought the house in 1972, and when National Harbor was completed, his house value skyrocketed. He had the option to leave then, but he is still there! :shrug: Now when you say "that neighborhood" are you referring to all Marlow Heights, Oxon Hill, Temple Hills, Camp Springs, etc....., or a specific neighborhood?

Either he is immune to it, or it could be that its not actually 24 hours of cops flying up and down the road, dodging bullets. To be honest when I am in Waldorf, I seem to hear a heck of a lot more sirens then when I am in Oxon Hill.

As far as being a prisonier in his home.....not hardly. He comes and goes as he pleases, and yes even after dark!

RPMDAD

:yeahthat:

Another Oxon Hiller here 1970 Potomac Sr. High School Grad. It was a great place. Don't remember the freeway phantom, but spent some tome on Tucker road looking for the goat man.

OldHillcrestGuy

:yeahthat:

Another Oxon Hiller here 1970 Potomac Sr. High School Grad. It was a great place. Don't remember the freeway phantom, but spent some tome on Tucker road looking for the goat man.

Looking for goat man, didnt we all. My DW was a 1969 Potomac grad and brother was a 68 Potomac grad.

RPMDAD

I got you beat, I'm OLDER :killingme. I grew up there too. I remember shopping at Eastover for school clothes in 1st and 2nd grade. I went to Green Valley Elementary, Hillcrest Heights Elementary, Stoddert and Potomac. We walked everywhere too. Probably why we were all so skinny back then. I was a senior the year they started busing (72) so I was able to stay at Potomac. They didn't bus seniors the year it went into effect. I lived up there until my daughter was ready to start school and we moved down here. Plus I was sick of everything we had being stolen (car, motorcycle, plants, dog, etc.). I loved growing up there but then in the early 80s I began to hate it for the reasons above. I wonder how many here on the forums may have known each other back then.

Got you beat, i'm older Potomac class of 70 :buddies:

mitzi

:yay: Hey wineo havent seen you on here much. Was a great place to live growing up as a kid.

Thanks Chuck for such a wonderful site to bring back the memories.

I remember the Freeway Phantom.

On side note see where 4 people got shot on Norcross St at 27th Ave overnight, one died.

I remember the Freeway Phamton too. Was he ever caught, I can't remember.
I saw on the news the murders too, 5 in 5 days. I hope I constructed my sentences correctly for the one who is name calling.

wineo

loving life
My brothers graduated from there in 71 and 73. We moved to St. Mary's in 73.

Freeway Phantom was killing girls and leaving them along Suitland Pkwy. There was an article in the Post a few years back.

It was great to grow up there as a child, but I wouldn't want to live there now.

All of my family was a part of Silver Hill Boys Club, my dad coached football and my mom was a coach for bowling. Those were the days.

Almost forgot about Sam the Good Humor Ice Cream man, he would walk on his hands for us. Carnival at Marlow Heights Center, playing in Oxon Run Park.

Almost forgot the Peppermint Pipers, anyone remember them?

Last edited:

RPMDAD

My brothers graduated from there in 71 and 73. We moved to St. Mary's in 73.

Freeway Phantom was killing girls and leaving them along Suitland Pkwy. There was an article in the Post a few years back.

It was great to grow up there as a child, but I wouldn't want to live there now.

All of my family was a part of Silver Hill Boys Club, my dad coached football and my mom was a coach for bowling. Those were the days.

Almost forgot about Sam the Good Humor Ice Cream man, he would walk on his hands for us. Carnival at Marlow Heights Center, playing in Oxon Run Park.

Almost forgot the Peppermint Pipers, anyone remember them?

Sure do remember the pipers my sons godfather was in the and he just attended a reunion concert on the easter shore this past fall.