Marlow Heights 60s and 70s Newsletter, 2 Jan 2011

OldHillcrestGuy

Heck only one was within Hillcrest/Marlow Heights boundries. When they changed the zip codes around many years back, Temple Hills became a very big area.
Actually these murders so far are a bit uncommon for the southern side of PG, with the except of maybe Glassmanor area, I'd bet 80% or more of them occur from about Suitland Rd. all the way around to PG boundary with Montgomery and within the Beltway.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
The murders follow the drugs around, so the murders are going to be in greater numbers where the drugs are more dense.

Heck only one was within Hillcrest/Marlow Heights boundries. When they changed the zip codes around many years back, Temple Hills became a very big area.
Actually these murders so far are a bit uncommon for the southern side of PG, with the except of maybe Glassmanor area, I'd bet 80% or more of them occur from about Suitland Rd. all the way around to PG boundary with Montgomery and within the Beltway.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
Well, I guess I'm OLDER :whistle:
When we lived on St. Clair Drive in Marlow Heights....
I was born in 1960, went to Sandymount Elementary, then Benjamin Stoddert (it was junior high then), and started 10th grade at Potomac High when we were bussed...was suppose to go to Crossland. Moved to Calvert County middle of 10th grade when I was 15. I walked to school, walked to Iverson Mall, walked to Giant, BoPeep, Hot Shoppes, and to the Red Barn on St. Barnabus....we walked everywhere and never had any problems. This neighborhood started to deteriorate as we were preparing to move.

I went to kindergarten at Sandymount ('72-73) before moving to Chuck Co. All of my older brothers and sisters had to go to Catholic school at Holy Family. 27th Ave. representing!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I am surprised at how many people remember what years they were in elementary school - wow.

I went to kindergarten at Sandymount ('72-73) before moving to Chuck Co. All of my older brothers and sisters had to go to Catholic school at Holy Family. 27th Ave. representing!

cissp

Cyber Cop
When did you attend Sandymount? I was there from '67 to '70, and had Miss Doyle for 5th grade and Mr. Rich for 6th. By the way, the Sandymount building is a public school again. It is a charter school and I spoke to the Principal a few days ago. I may try to arrange a tour of the school if I can get enough people to show up.

I grew up on the corner of St. Clair & Norcross. Walked to school...Sandymount and Benjamin Stoddert. The area was very nice back in the 'heyday' that Chuck describes. We moved out in 1976 when the segregation of the schools began and the bussing to schools started. My parents retired to Calvert, which is where I am today.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Some did and some didn't. They also used my front steps to rest while waiting on the bus, and some acted like it was inconvenient for them to get up when we wanted to use our steps. In those cases if I was on my way in the house, the dog would sometimes "accidentally" run out the front door when I opened it and scare the crap outta of the unsuspecting person sitting on my steps .... (imagine a 130 lb Rottie coming your way) ..... :evil:

:lmao: Did people use it while it was there?

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Some did and some didn't. They also used my front steps to rest while waiting on the bus, and some acted like it was inconvenient for them to get up when we wanted to use our steps.
That makes my heart hurt for humanity. :ohwell:

Should have had a team of dogs on-call. :whistle:

softcrab

Marlow Heights Mall is where we went to buy concert tickets. Brother got an old world chameleon at the pet shop on one concert ticket run. We're talking Ted Nugent tickets.

cissp

Cyber Cop
I remember when parts of what is now called Ft. Washington (Indian Queen specifically that I know of) used to be called Oxon Hill.

Yeah, I remember when it was all Oxon Hill, and the only time you said Fort Washington was when you were referring to the park.

cissp

Cyber Cop
Marlow Heights Mall is where we went to buy concert tickets. Brother got an old world chameleon at the pet shop on one concert ticket run. We're talking Ted Nugent tickets.

Do you mean at the ticket office inside Hecht's? I know a lot of people bought concert tickets there, but I think their was a Ticketron outlet in Montgomery Wards or in Iverson Mall. As for the pet shop, I think that might have been Doktor Pet Center in Iverson Mall.

I just found pictures :yahoo:
I had Mrs. Hailer, grade 4, 69-70
I had Miss. Doyle, grade 5, 70-71
I had Mrs. McFarland, grade 6, 71-72
Attended Stoddert through 1975

When did you attend Sandymount? I was there from '67 to '70, and had Miss Doyle for 5th grade and Mr. Rich for 6th. By the way, the Sandymount building is a public school again. It is a charter school and I spoke to the Principal a few days ago. I may try to arrange a tour of the school if I can get enough people to show up.

Just found a picture of you in my Stoddert yearbook.....
you were in 9th grade, and I was in 7th!
Where did you live?