"Mary Worship?"

Starman3000m

Misdirected prayers and thanksgiving by the pope:

On May 13, 1981, a man shot Pope John Paul II. As the ambulance carried him to the hospital, the Pope kept praying, “Mary, my mother! Mary, my mother!” One year later, the Pope made a pilgrimage to Fatima to thank Our Lady of Fatima for saving his life and to consecrate the entire human race to her. [27] The video Catholicism: Crisis of Faith shows the Pope kissing the feet of a statue of Mary. [28]
MARY WORSHIP by Mary Ann Collins (A Former Catholic Nun)

(Jesus said)...I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6)

wxtornado

The Other White Meat
In my opinion, Starman3000m is one the worst kinds of religious fanatic, akin to the Phelps family of nutjobs, and is a warped pseudo Christian who haunts this forum for his own personal nasty, racist crusades against all other religious organizations that are different from his own homemade cult. Like I said before, he should get off his fat scurvy ass, head out to some third world country, find some gullible ignoramuses and start up his own con there. If he stays here here much longer he'll probably turn into another Jim Jones or Timothy McVeigh.

There are several here like that actually. They're not hard to pick out.

wxtornado

The Other White Meat
You cannot read the Bible with a logical mind, without the Holy Spirit leading you and, if you're not a believer, He won't allow you to understand ALL that you THINK you do. In other words: you are prevented from seeing most of the Bible truths, so don't try to sound like you know the Bible better than a true believer does. I'm not being mean here; just factual... :howdy:

What's funnier than all this circular gobbledy-gook reasoning is that you don't even see it!

This_person

ItalianScallion is only about two steps behind him.

A closed mind to other people's beliefs is a horrible thing.

Are you open minded?

How about you, WxTornado?

Do either of you give respect to other people having faith they can't prove (besides atheists' faith that there is no Supreme Being)?

Starman3000m

Dang! That' means I have to try harder. I hate being second...:howdy:

Sorry, my friend. Can't help it that nonno has placed me in the lead as most notoriously "haunting" these threads and being the "worst kind of religious fanatic." Guess that's because I have always strived to be an over-achiever in many things! LOL
:buddies:

onel0126

Bead mumbler
So yesterday IS posted that "Mary has never appeared anywhere" referring to a question about Fatima. How do the rest of you feel about apparitions of Mary, and Jesus too for that matter? Are they figments of people's imaginations?

Starman3000m

So yesterday IS posted that "Mary has never appeared anywhere" referring to a question about Fatima. How do the rest of you feel about apparitions of Mary, and Jesus too for that matter? Are they figments of people's imaginations?

That too is addressed in the Gospels as a Warning that "apparitions" would appear making themselves out to be "messengers of God" but that they would mislead people with a deception and lure people away from the True and Pure message of Christ:

No Other Gospel
I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse! (Galatians 1:6-9 NIV)

Can apparitions of "Mary" appear? No, not according to Biblical teachings because the dead do not come back to intermingle with the living.

Can an apparition of Christ appear? If it happened, it could happen in dreams so as to bring His True Message in special instances to an individual and which leads that individual to Truth. There are testimonies of modern day Muslims having dreams of Jesus and bringing them out of belief in the Islamic version of Jesus (Isa') and showing them His Truth of Salvation.

On the other hand, an apparition of Jesus can appear which is actually a deceptive and demonic spirit. The story of told of such apparition of Jesus appearing to a man. The apparition proclaimed, "I am Jesus, your Lord, bow down and worship me!" The man asked the apparition to show him the nail prints in his hands and feet - the apparition vanished.

The Bible states that we are to "Test the Spirits" to see whether they are of God. (1 John 4:1) because even Satan can appear as an angel of light
(2 Corinthians 11:14)

The "apparitions that appeared to Joseph Smith were not of God but he believed they were. Mormonism was born from an encounter that Smith had with whom he proclaimed to be God and Jesus appearing to him - plus and angel (Moroni) who appeared later to give him updated teachings. The apparition of Moroni would appear and give Smith new "revelations" that were not even in the Holy Bible. The rest is history on how pseudo-Christian teachings can be formed from believing in apparitions that do not bring the truth of the New Testament Jesus Christ but guide people to another gospel and another "Jesus."

Last edited:

wxtornado

The Other White Meat
So you're open minded to the possibility that there is a God?

Absolutely, as open minded as you and other theists are about there being the possiblity that there's a flying spaghetti monster, or that Zeus was a god.

I don't totally discount the existence of God -- I discount the existence of the messy God (or gods) theists assert. There very well may be a God, but just like there are no triangles with 25 angles, there cannot be this impossible contradiction that most theists proffer as "God". But I don't totally discount the idea that a God (or gods) could exist. It is possible, I suppose, though very unlikely.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Absolutely, as open minded as you and other theists are about there being the possiblity that there's a flying spaghetti monster, or that Zeus was a god.

I see. You're thinking and beliefs are contingent on what I believe. It feels pretty good knowing people like me dictate your thinking. :lol:

I don't totally discount the existence of God -- I discount the existence of the messy God (or gods) theists assert. There very well may be a God, but just like there are no triangles with 25 angles, there cannot be this impossible contradiction that most theists proffer as "God". But I don't totally discount the idea that a God (or gods) could exist. It is possible, I suppose, though very unlikely.

So you're agnostic. Something I must've missed or didn't expect. I think where your expectations fail you is thinking that if there were a god that our world must be perfect; without disease, suffering, crime, etc… From such a world we would learn nothing. God knows this and made it a world in which we get to decide our fate and learn from our environment. I find THAT to be the perfect solution of creation.

wxtornado

The Other White Meat
So you're agnostic. Something I must've missed or didn't expect.

No, you misunderstand. If you're talking about the God you assert, then no, I'm an atheist. If you're talking about the "possibility" of a spaghetti monster or a "possible" pink rhino with no legs that runs around the earth, then yes, I'm an agnostic.

PsyOps

Pixelated
No, you misunderstand. If you're talking about the God you assert, then no, I'm an atheist. If you're talking about the "possibility" of a spaghetti monster or a "possible" pink rhino with no legs that runs around the earth, then yes, I'm an agnostic.

Let's dispense with the :sarcasm:. Do you believe in the possibility of a creator? Not my God per se... some intelligent being that could have created our universe?

Zguy28

What's funnier than all this circular gobbledy-gook reasoning is that you don't even see it!
Its not reason, its faith. Otherwise I would agree with your claim.

John Calvin called them "spiritual spectacles" that God must give you to understand completely what the Scripture teaches about salvation. Even the very ability to understand and thereafter be saved and repent is at some point given by God. This is readily apparent from the gospels. Jesus said "He who has an ear to hear, let him hear" meaning "if you can accept it, accept it." "It" being the gospel.

It's just that way. I don't view it as "I'm better 'cause I can understand" but rather as just a theological fact of life. It's nothing I have done to merit it that's for sure.

foodcritic

Have you read any good books about the historical basis for the flying spaghetti monster? Did you read the book The Flying Spaghetti Monster is Not Great? That was an awesome book.:killingme:killingme

What is it with atheists and the never ending analogy of the flying spag monster? :killingme

SamSpade

Can apparitions of "Mary" appear? No, not according to Biblical teachings because the dead do not come back to intermingle with the living.

Apparently they can.

Matthew 27

<sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-24181">51</sup> At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split <sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-24182">52</sup> and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. <sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-24183">53</sup> They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ resurrection and went into the holy city and appeared to many people.