"Mary Worship?"

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Have you read this whole thread? If so, you wouldn't have need to re-hash the same old same old :blahblah:. I'm not going to thank you for attempting to cram what you view as your own personal truth down my throat.

Would Jesus spit you out?????

I'm fairly confident He won't; however, I can't and won't attempt to answer that question for you on your behalf. Get the hint?

Starman3000m

...Mother Teresa is probably THE most hailed Catholic of the modern Catholic Church. In my opinion she epitomized the core tenets of Christ. Are you willing to take the leap that she worshiped the wrong Jesus?

There is no doubt that Mother Teresa was a sincere humanitarian and did many wonderful works. However, toward her final days, Mother Teresa reportedly stated that she was unsure of her salvation!

This may be true with many in the RCC, being unsure of whether they are saved in the here and now. Thus the reason for the teaching of "purgatory" where there will be further cleansing of an individual's sins that will then allow them entrance into Heaven.

Yet, the Holy Bible proclaims that when one is saved there is no doubt about one's personal relationship with Christ in the here and now. There is a new beginning, a spiritual conversion and a new life in serving God.

For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
(Romans 8:15-17)

PsyOps

Pixelated
There is no doubt that Mother Teresa was a sincere humanitarian and did many wonderful works. However, toward her final days, Mother Teresa reportedly stated that she was unsure of her salvation!

I decided to read up on this a little. I was unaware of her deep doubts. On the surface she appears to doubt her salvation. Without knowing the REAL context of her letters and statements about her salvation, I can’t say what was really in her heart. I imagine she became very disillusioned that her work wasn’t yielding real results; that corruption in the world of her work was so deep that God just wasn’t reaching them, causing her to doubt. Massive suffering causes millions to doubt the existence of God.

In the simpler regard perhaps I stand corrected about her. But, yet again, I will not make the decision in my mind about her salvation.

This may be true with many in the RCC, being unsure of whether they are saved in the here and now. Thus the reason for the teaching of "purgatory" where there will be further cleansing of an individual's sins that will then allow them entrance into Heaven.

This may be true in any Christian denomination. My question to you still remains though: are you willing to admit some Catholics will make it to heaven, removing this paintbrush you’re holding? Or do you really believe all members of the Catholic faith are condemned?

I will admit I have certain doubts. I am human and falter. Where Mother Teresa’s doubts may revolve around a world that got no better from her work, mine revolves around my continual stupidity to commit sinful acts. God is so silent sometimes, and that silence causes me to wonder about His existence. Not that he doesn’t exist; but that He may not exist in the way I perceive. How will God hold me accountable for these shortcomings? I have no idea.

Zguy28

I decided to read up on this a little. I was unaware of her deep doubts. On the surface she appears to doubt her salvation. Without knowing the REAL context of her letters and statements about her salvation, I can’t say what was really in her heart. I imagine she became very disillusioned that her work wasn’t yielding real results; that corruption in the world of her work was so deep that God just wasn’t reaching them, causing her to doubt. Massive suffering causes millions to doubt the existence of God.

In the simpler regard perhaps I stand corrected about her. But, yet again, I will not make the decision in my mind about her salvation.

This may be true in any Christian denomination. My question to you still remains though: are you willing to admit some Catholics will make it to heaven, removing this paintbrush you’re holding? Or do you really believe all members of the Catholic faith are condemned?

I will admit I have certain doubts. I am human and falter. Where Mother Teresa’s doubts may revolve around a world that got no better from her work, mine revolves around my continual stupidity to commit sinful acts. God is so silent sometimes, and that silence causes me to wonder about His existence. Not that he doesn’t exist; but that He may not exist in the way I perceive. How will God hold me accountable for these shortcomings? I have no idea.
It's strange how suffering causes some to doubt and others it drives them to the foot of the cross.

Ultimately the breakdown between Catholic and Protestant is the argument about imputation of Christ's righteousness (Protestant) vs. infusion (Roman Catholic).

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Maybe the reason for this is... that the Catholics don't know the Truth....

Would Jesus spit you out?????

You sound like Starman's or IS's future ex-wife. We have seen enough slamming of the Catholic Church.
What terrible things did you do before finding Jesus and then start bashing Catholics?

Which stripmall preacher are you hanging out with on Sundays?

Evangelicalism--------------------------->coming to a stripmall near you

tiger78

You sound like Starman's or IS's future ex-wife. We have seen enough slamming of the Catholic Church.
What terrible things did you do before finding Jesus and then start bashing Catholics?

Seems to me like there is equal amounts of bashing going on between both sides of this discussion.

People that may happen on this forum in search of Christianity are not getting a very pretty picture painted for them.

With that said, in my readings of the posts, I like to see documentation of scripture for whatever anyone is stating to be true. If a statement can not be backed by scripture, I for one do not believe it is from God.

Just my opinion.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Starman condemns, you however have been careful not to. Nevertheless, you needn't say it for your feelings to be clear. And again, you insist that Catholics don't have the truth while we insist we do; however, you don't see Catholics attempting to cram the truth down your throat.
:jameo: Oh come on Radiant1! Apparently, to you, my feelings are NOT clear. I've made it clear (to those who will look) that there MANY Catholics who are truly saved. I don't "broadbrush" the entire RCC because I know some personally, so get off the Ray Charles train ok? :getdown:

And no one here has tried to "cram Catholicism down our throats"?? Can you say Bavarian, Libby (my dear friend) & YOU (my feisty friend)???
Radiant1 said:
I can say that I test myself as well as the Church. I have read the bible extensively, and that is why I then became a Catholic. Yeah, believe it or not, scripture led me to Catholicism. I've also tested you, you've failed.
You've tested yourself & the RCC with Scripture?? Scripture can lead anyone, anywhere if they let it... And uh, there will be a "make up" quiz next week if you're interested... :howdy:
Radiant1 said:
You or Starman aren't winning any converts with your crusade. If anything, you harden hearts against Christ. It's time for you both to take a long hard look at what you've been doing and stop justifying your actions, for your actions here have born absolutely nothing but putrid rotten fruit. To put it bluntly, your example of Christian "love" sucks big sour lemons.
Have you read where Jesus did the same thing? Care to count how many people He's turned off? So many that there will be lots of room in Heaven but did that stop Him?
Maybe the reason for this is... that the Catholics don't know the Truth....
As I said earlier, the RCC taught me the truth about God and many other things and I'm grateful for it. They know the truth but they've let some bad "yeast" in while trying to please the masses (I mean the majority of people). Things like: Mary, the pope, confession, penance, lent, praying to the dead, etc.
hotcoffee said:
Arguing over religion is turning away people, praying to Mary is turning away people, and let's face it.... these days the collection plate is turning away people.
Jesus made it abundantly clear that being a witness for the truth will cause people to hate us. He also said to not worry about it because they'd hate Him first AND without cause.
You sound like Starman's or IS's future ex-wife. We have seen enough slamming of the Catholic Church. What terrible things did you do before finding Jesus and then start bashing Catholics?
There's a list of my sins on my website if you're interested...
Geezzz Bird Dog; In your mind, can't anyone realize the error of their ways and turn around and go after the truth? You make us sound soo evil for our past and for caring here. :shrug:

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Seems to me like there is equal amounts of bashing going on between both sides of this discussion. People that may happen on this forum in search of Christianity are not getting a very pretty picture painted for them.
So contending for the truth (witnessing) should always be nice & sweet, without any bickering? Such is NOT real life my friend. If anyone reads the Bible completely, they sometimes come to a deep hatred for our God. So maybe they shouldn't read it because He killed soo many people in the OT and spoke of eternal Hell in the NT? It's not for the faint hearted, IMO.
tiger78 said:
With that said, in my readings of the posts, I like to see documentation of scripture for whatever anyone is stating to be true. If a statement can not be backed by scripture, I for one do not believe it is from God.
Darn, the Bible doesn't say a word about cars or computers; guess they aren't from God huh? I'm being silly because you're statement is waayyy too restrictive here...:howdy:

Zguy28

So contending for the truth (witnessing) should always be nice & sweet, without any bickering? Such is NOT real life my friend. If anyone reads the Bible completely, they sometimes come to a deep hatred for our God. So maybe they shouldn't read it because He killed soo many people in the OT and spoke of eternal Hell in the NT? It's not for the faint hearted, IMO.

Darn, the Bible doesn't say a word about cars or computers; guess they aren't from God huh? I'm being silly because you're statement is waayyy too restrictive here...:howdy:
I'm pretty sure he was speaking in the context of doctrine, not "anything" in general.

Zguy28

The first Beast from the ocean in Revelation (AKA anti-Christ) is the papacy.

BAM! ANOTHER NOTCH! :duel:

hotcoffee

I wasn't slamming just the Catholic Church.... I was talking about the majority of all churches....

Jesus told us to go and tell everyone.... the majority of the churches are too busy getting money into the collection plates and pleasing everyone to get into the Gospel....

the Catholic Church just happens to be the worst for having to defend itself now... the Catholic nuns had great reputations in the middle ages and now the Catholic priests are getting their turn.... Face it... the Catholic Church has been tainted since inception.....Kiss a ring for absolution...... But then again... there were a lot of people in Rome who decided they knew more about the Gospel than the people who walked with Jesus....

I didn't do terrible things before finding Jesus.... I don't hold all my prayer and study for Sunday... I don't steal from my boss on Tuesday and go tho Wednesday night Bible Study.... I talk about Jesus any time I get the chance. My great great great great great great grandfather built one of the first churches here in southern maryland. He was a Primative Baptist Preacher. My protestant family is from Ireland.... they came over here in the 1600's with Sir Thomas Dent. My grandmother built a church up in Front Royal and preached there when the snow was so deep or the river was so far out of it's banks that the preacher couldn't make it. My uncle is a Presbyterian Minister. My father was a deacon in the church and started one in Gales Ferry Connecticut. I've been Sunday School teacher. I love my Lord Jesus Christ and I'm thankful that He knows me well enough to know I have a ton of flaws and He loves me anyway!

What did you do to get hooked up defending a whole church? :coffee:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
And no one here has tried to "cram Catholicism down our throats"?? Can you say Bavarian, Libby (my dear friend) & YOU (my feisty friend)???

What's the title of this thread? :eyebrow:

What I see is Catholics explaining their faith when the numerous threads here ultimately turn to Catholic bashing. Not one Catholic has attempted to cram our theology down your throat with a believe-as-I-do-or-else mentality.

I wasn't slamming just the Catholic Church.... I was talking about the majority of all churches....

Jesus told us to go and tell everyone.... the majority of the churches are too busy getting money into the collection plates and pleasing everyone to get into the Gospel....

You say that and then go on to say this...

the Catholic Church just happens to be the worst for having to defend itself now... the Catholic nuns had great reputations in the middle ages and now the Catholic priests are getting their turn.... Face it... the Catholic Church has been tainted since inception.....Kiss a ring for absolution...... But then again... there were a lot of people in Rome who decided they knew more about the Gospel than the people who walked with Jesus....

Heh.

So, umm, what are your specific criticisms of the Baptists and Presbyterians?

UNA

What I see is Catholics explaining their faith when the numerous threads here ultimately turn to Catholic bashing. Not one Catholic has attempted to cram our theology down your throat with a believe-as-I-do-or-else mentality.

You say that and then go on to say this...

Heh.

So, umm, what are your specific criticisms of the Baptists and Presbyterians?

I was raised protastant and thought catholics were nuts. Then I started to think for myself and realized it seems to be the protastants that do the judging; I certainly don't agree with much of the teachings of the catholic church (or any Christian church for that matter) but a catholic never told me I was going to hell for my beliefs (the Vatican on the other hand.......)

Last edited:

tiger78

No, I don't think contending for the faith is always "nice and sweet". My comment was directed at the poster for his criticism of someone he felt was bashing catholics and then he in turn "bashed" protestants. That is not in my opinion contending for the faith and serves no useful purpose. And by the way I am not faint hearted...

Also, testing what someone claims to be Godly truth against what is actually written in the scriptures is by no means restrictive. Acts 17:11 and 12 tell us how the Bereans examined the scriptures daily to see if what they were being taught was true. It is our responsibility as children of God to study His Word. I appreciate those who post scripture to back up what they are saying in these particular posts. Starman does this and you have as well. Just makes it credible when it is in agreement with God's Word. That's all I was saying.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

What did you do to get hooked up defending a whole church? :coffee:

Please spend some time reading this thread. if you do not believe that someone if not a few, have defended the Catholic Church you do not know what you are saying. This thread has been nothing but a constant slamming of the Roman Catholic Church from the beginning from a couple of False Prophets that proclaim the only way to savation is to believe as they do.

Zguy28

Please spend some time reading this thread. if you do not believe that someone if not a few, have defended the Catholic Church you do not know what you are saying. This thread has been nothing but a constant slamming of the Roman Catholic Church from the beginning from a couple of False Prophets that proclaim the only way to savation is to believe as they do.
Nah, it's just the continuing of a 500 year old debate. Except we don't get burned at the stake anymore.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
I really think some of you haven't a clue as to what "bashing" really is. Just like many here don't know what "judging" really means. I don't see this thread as a hateful anything. I see it as an attempt to show people the truth. The problem is that many "can't handle the truth" but God tells us to; "rightly handle the truth" or we'll be misled...

So, am I "bashing" you if I said:
smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day would soon kill you?
eating 3 double cheeseburgers a day would eventually kill you?
walking through DC at night will someday get you killed?

Then why, since I'm only trying to possibly save a life, is it called bashing?
Did you ever wonder why Catholics don't try to evangelize folks here?
No, I don't think contending for the faith is always "nice and sweet". My comment was directed at the poster for his criticism of someone he felt was bashing catholics and then he in turn "bashed" protestants. That is not in my opinion contending for the faith and serves no useful purpose. And by the way I am not faint hearted...
COOL! I was just concerned about how you worded your comment.
I'm a Her, thank you very much! :diva:
:really: :getdown: :roflmao:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Then why, since I'm only trying to possibly save a life, is it called bashing?

Radical Muslims believe the same thing. They're only trying to save your life so that you believe the truth of Allah. You're no different. :coffee:

I'll continue to preach the gospel by my example and not beat people over the head with the bible and truth. That's what I've been taught to do, and I find it works far better that way.

I think I've said it before...you've made no converts here. You've only sewn discord. Good job and congratulations; be proud of yourself.