Mission BBQ

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
This place was INSANE! I just had the best turkey I've ever put in my mouth there. I wish I had more mouths to eat more turkey. At our table we had the brisket and chicken too. It was a meat wonderland. And it is by far the best theme of a restaurant ever. Loved it. And BEER! And sauces at the table. Sweet baby Jesus. If you haven't been you should totally go. So thrilled I really can't wait to take my parents there. We are a very patriotic family and I know they will for sure be excited. :geek: stamp of approval.
:patriot:

Its all gimmicks, they need to create their evil chain empire.

Turkey was fantastic.

This place was INSANE! I just had the best turkey I've ever put in my mouth there. I wish I had more mouths to eat more turkey. At our table we had the brisket and chicken too. It was a meat wonderland. And it is by far the best theme of a restaurant ever. Loved it. And BEER! And sauces at the table. Sweet baby Jesus. If you haven't been you should totally go. So thrilled I really can't wait to take my parents there. We are a very patriotic family and I know they will for sure be excited. :geek: stamp of approval.
:patriot:

So.... it was just ok?

:lol:

ltown81

Just noticed the guy listed as the owner is Will Mandis. He was listed as the "proprietor" on the door at Outback for a long time. Guess he decided to jump ship since Outback is going down market so much now.

kickstand

De omnibus dubitandum est
I have been there twice. The owner remembered my name second time. This place is great. The food is great. I'll continue to eat there.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I have not eaten at Mission BBQ, but I doubt I will. Maybe I'm too Southern or something.

BUT for a BBQ joint, I don't see any smoke. Can't smell any BBQ/smoke/meat in the parking lot. To me, those little things make it appear as if they are not doing what I would consider real bbq.

SoMDGirl42

Can someone please tell me if all the meat is cooked with bbq sauce, or do you choose what sauce if any, you want to put on.

I'd like to try it, but having a tomato allergy it would be a waste of time if it's all cooked with sauce. :ohwell:

Hank

my war
Can someone please tell me if all the meat is cooked with bbq sauce, or do you choose what sauce if any, you want to put on.

I'd like to try it, but having a tomato allergy it would be a waste of time if it's all cooked with sauce. :ohwell:

yes

It's cooked with a dry rub, and you add your sauce later, but that's no assurance tomato hasn't been used along the way.

C

czygvtwkr

I have not eaten at Mission BBQ, but I doubt I will. Maybe I'm too Southern or something.

BUT for a BBQ joint, I don't see any smoke. Can't smell any BBQ/smoke/meat in the parking lot. To me, those little things make it appear as if they are not doing what I would consider real bbq.

I can't recall seeing or smelling smoke outside Bear Creek, except the day it caught on fire. Maybe I am just not remembering right and the smoke was a given that I never thought about.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
To me, those little things make it appear as if they are not doing what I would consider real bbq.

They're not. It's in a strip mall and there is no pit. They showed me an indoor oven type of thing, which looked cool but isn't what I consider authentic. But the meat is still good.

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
They're not. It's in a strip mall and there is no pit. They showed me an indoor oven type of thing, which looked cool but isn't what I consider authentic. But the meat is still good.

That indoor oven type of thing is a smoker. Which is how real bbq is done.

SMIBs need to stick to crabs, leave BBQ to real Southerners.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa

One of the fancy ones that recirculate the smoke/air to keep proper temperature and good flavor. Would be my guess why the BBQ smell is not present.

Open pit is different.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Okay, you just favored a smoker (similar to the one I have at my house so I know what it is) over a true pit....then have the audacity to call yourself a southerner???

Southern where? PA?

So_what

Yes I'm an MPD, But who's

Okay, you just favored a smoker (similar to the one I have at my house so I know what it is) over a true pit....then have the audacity to call yourself a southerner???

Got me thinking about this so I google fu'd it. Long answers.....

A pit barbecue is a method and constructed item for barbecue cooking meat and root vegetables buried below the surface of the earth. Indigenous peoples around the world used earth ovens for tens of thousands of years. In modern times the term and activity is often associated with the Eastern Seaboard, the "barbecue belt", colonial California in the United States and Mexico. The meats usually barbecued in a pit in these contexts are beef, pork, and goat.
Pit barbecuing is also popular along the Eastern Seaboard of the U.S. The buried version of the New England clam bake is one example. In Maryland it is done at large "Bull Roasts" in the summer season and "Bull & Oyster Roasts" in colder months. Maryland-style pit beef is not barbecue cookery in the strictest sense. Instead, it is slow smoked on charcoal grills, or slow cooked on propane pits. Pit beef involves grilling the meat over a high heat having marinated prior with a dry rub seasoning [3] that has been applied prior to cooking. The meat is typically served rare with a strong horseradish sauce as the condiment.

Smoking is the process of flavoring, cooking, or preserving food by exposing it to the smoke from burning or smoldering plant materials, most often wood. Meats and fish are the most common smoked foods

Smoke roasting or smoke baking refers to any process that has the attributes of smoking combined with either roasting or baking. This smoking method is sometimes referred to as "barbecuing", "pit baking", or "pit roasting". It may be done in a smoke roaster, closed wood-fired masonry oven or barbecue pit, any smoker that can reach above 250 °F (121 °C), or in a conventional oven by placing a pan filled with hardwood chips on the floor of the oven so the chips smolder and produce a smokebath. However, this should only be done in a well-ventilated area to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.

Looks like something we could agree to disagree on :shrug: