Mmmm!

Bogart

kwillia said:
Actually, this all brings up a good point. I have often wondered why the help at expensive restaurants expect to get the same precentage tips as the help at lower priced places. They perform the same functions and duties. Why should the table be expected to fork over such a huge amount in tips when the server isn't doing anything above or beyond what could be expected elsewhere...:shrug:
I believe the theory is that the more expensive restaurants are like your major leagues and your Crapplebees are the farm teams.

Mikeinsmd

kwillia said:
Actually, this all brings up a good point. I have often wondered why the help at expensive restaurants expect to get the same precentage tips as the help at lower priced places. They perform the same functions and duties. Why should the table be expected to fork over such a huge amount in tips when the server isn't doing anything above or beyond what could be expected elsewhere...:shrug:
:jet:

XOXO17 said:
I guess because you tip on the cost the bill. I know I haven't had such good service in a while. last time I went to dinner it was at Applebees and the server sucked! She wasn't even that nice.
But let's say there were 4 of you at the table last night and the bill was $270... did your server reaaaally deserve $54 bucks for the couple minutes total that she was at your table...:confused:

XOXO17

kwillia said:
But let's say there were 4 of you at the table last night and the bill was $270... did your server reaaaally deserve $54 bucks for the couple minutes total that she was at your table...:confused:[/QUOT if he/she was a good server and took good care of us I would leave $80 on $270

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
XOXO17 said:
kwillia said:
But let's say there were 4 of you at the table last night and the bill was $270... did your server reaaaally deserve $54 bucks for the couple minutes total that she was at your table...:confused:[/QUOT if he/she was a good server and took good care of us I would leave $80 on $270
How do you afford that when you get crappy tips all the time? :confused:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
You guys crack me up! *shakinghead* I love ya', but I sure as hell wouldn't want to wait on you! :boxing:

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
virgovictoria said:
You guys crack me up! *shakinghead* I love ya', but I sure as hell wouldn't want to wait on you! :boxing:
I'm a great tipper and I'll even smack your a$$ if you want! :yay:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Think about it this way, too.

You go to an expensive restaurant, and get treated as you should. You are served your beverages, your order is taken, your appetizer and meal served, your dishes cleared, your coffee poured, etc. Your bill comes and you pay $145 for the meal.

or

You go to an inexpensive restaurant, and get treated as you should. You are served your beverages, your order is taken, your appetizer and meal served, your dishes cleared, your coffee poured, etc. Your bill comes and you pay $45 for the meal.

Did the server at the expensive restaurant work any harder or any more than the server working at the less expensive restaurant? It takes the same amount of effort for the server to fill your glass with ice at each restaurant. So why should the server at the high-end place be rewarded with a big fat tip just because the total for the check is higher?

Presuming that you use 20% as your guideline, the server at the expensive place gets $29.00 dollars for the effort, while the server at the inexpensive place gets $9.00 for the effort.

Lesson learned. If you work in a restaurant, make sure it is the high dollar one.

Last edited:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
virgovictoria said:

What are you talkin' about? How will I have any money if I'm over-tipping? The rich don't get rich by throwing their money around.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
XOXO17 said:
I never said I get crappy tips all the time.
I thought you were complaining the other day about how crappy people in somd tip? I musta been :otter: again. :ohwell:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
virgovictoria said:
Don't eat out.

Why shouldn't I eat out? I have as much right to eat out as the next guy. I'm supposed to stay home because I'm not shoving my money up some servers arse?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
BadGirl said:
This about it this way, too.

You go to an expensive restaurant, and get treated as you should. You are served your beverages, your order is taken, your appetizer and meal served, your dishes cleared, your coffee poured, etc. Your bill comes and you pay $145 for the meal.

or

You go to an inexpensive restaurant, and get treated as you should. You are served your beverages, your order is taken, your appetizer and meal served, your dishes cleared, your coffee poured, etc. Your bill comes and you pay $45 for the meal.

Did the server at the expensive restaurant work any harder or any more than the server working at the less expensive restaurant? It takes the same amount of effort for the server to fill your glass with ice at each restaurant. So why should the server at the high-end place be rewarded with a big fat tip just because the total for the check is higher?

Presuming that you use 20% as your guideline, the server at the expensive place gets $29.00 dollars for the effort, while the server at the inexpensive place gets $9.00 for the effort.

Exactly.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Because the customer who can afford to pay $150 for two to dine at an upscale establishment, can also afford the $30/20% (or more) tip.

I don't particularly have a problem with tipping a percentage of the total bill. And I darn sure expect better service AND a better quality of service at the Tides, than at any local chain restaurant.