Motorcyle crash, 2 killed. Makes my blood boil!

MMDad

Lem Putt
Well, you must not drive on route 4, which is becoming known as biker death alley particularly in the area between 258/259 and 301.

You probably only notice the ones who act stupid. Why would you notice the ones who drive safely unless they affect you?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
You probably only notice the ones who act stupid. Why would you notice the ones who drive safely unless they affect you?

What do you consider 'safe'.

I spend a lot of time on the road between here and Annapolis, Fredericksburg, and for a long time, Virginia Beach. I can't possibly guess what the percentage of safe/unsafe drivers are. I can only say that I've seen many motor cycles weaving in and out of traffic, driving at excessive speeds, and driving erratically. I've come up on crashed motor cycles that passed me only minutes before. I've had motor cycles approach me so fast that they had difficulty not rear ending me while moving forward (no stop light/sign in the scenario).

I discovered a wrecked motor cycle on the side of the road one night and called it in, only to discover the next day that it was a friend of mine. He died. No other vehicles involved.

You can state all you want that bikers are safe drivers, but I've seen many that are not.

Last edited:
What do you consider 'safe'.

I spend a lot of time on the road between here and Annapolis, Fredericksburg, and for a long time, Virginia Beach. I can't possibly guess what the percentage of safe/unsafe drivers are. I can only say that I've seen many motor cycles weaving in and out of traffic, driving at excessive speeds, and driving erratically. I've come up on crashed motor cycles that passed me only minutes before. I've had motor cycles approach me so fast that they had difficulty not rear ending me while moving forward (no stop light/sign in the scenario).

I discovered a wrecked motor cycle on the side of the road one night and called it in, only to discover the next day that it was a friend of mine. He died. No other vehicles involved.

You can state all you want that bikers are safe drivers, but I've seen many that are not.

Dang!

PsyOps

Pixelated
Nope, mainly 235 and around Solomons and St Marys.

I think you get more of the crazy bikers on the open roads. Route 4 - especially the stretch north of Dunkirk - is a dream land for these rice burners. I will say that the vast majority of Harley riders are good drivers. And I will also say that I see far more pinheads driving pickup trucks than bikers. I don't know what it is about folks driving pickups but they are out of control.

PsyOps

Pixelated

Because I pay attention to all of them. :smack:

My driving is different around them because they could hit a pothole or bump that would affect their ability to maintain control moreso than a 4-wheeled vehicle. And I'm always trying to prepare for the fact that they think because they are smaller they can fit in small gaps and will take it without warning; has happened to me countless times.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
There is no rationale for imposing heavier fine on cars drivers simply because they are driving a car and they cause more damage to a biker.

We could call it a Carbon Footprint Liability
Any at fault vehicle larger than the other vehicle would automatically receive a carbon credit fine based ont the weight difference between the vehicles.

Al Gore will be so happy :diva:

PsyOps

Pixelated
Any at fault vehicle larger than the other vehicle would automatically receive a carbon credit fine based ont the weight difference between the vehicles.

Where the heck has he been? Did someone shove him in a closet. I bet he ends up on BO's admin.

I think you get more of the crazy bikers on the open roads. Route 4 - especially the stretch north of Dunkirk - is a dream land for these rice burners. I will say that the vast majority of Harley riders are good drivers. And I will also say that I see far more pinheads driving pickup trucks than bikers. I don't know what it is about folks driving pickups but they are out of control.

Two guys here at work are a couple of the most aggressive drivers I've seen on the road. Mostly tailgating and speeding. Both drive pickups. Both head North on 235 at 3- 3:30. I don't even try to keep up.

mAlice

professional daydreamer

I agree with both statements.

Gunn317

Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow! I never realized the sheer volume of replies that would happen in a single day. Sheesh...

I've learned a lot from reading through these. Be very scared of riding a motorcycle around here.

A lot has been discussed about imposing higher fines if you are the cause of an incident involving a motorcycle. Read the link that was submitted early on. That is now a law. And if you read the link, you'll see that ABATE wanted this pushed to RAISE AWARENESS for motorcycles on our roads. That was basically the entire point of my posting this. If any of you were driving home after work yesterday and thought of my crazy post, well...good.

I was just placing a bet in my original thread. In most cases in a "T-bone" accident such as this, the driver pulling out into the roadway of the oncoming driver/rider is at fault. The person who posted the "Boulevard Rule" was right on here (I was on a jury where this very rule came into play). So after having thought of all that, do I feel any differently to the lady in the car? No.

A lot of you say that a motorcycle is hard to see and so that's the risk the rider takes, and if I pull out in front of him, oh well. I agree that the rider is definately taking an added risk, and adjusting and planning for it. But...that's not an excuse for the car driver! Please, take an extra fraction of a second to check for something smaller than a car, a glint of sun off of some chrome, etc. before pulling out. That's all I was getting at.

This morning I was making a left off of a roadway. A guy on a Harley was coming opposite my direction. I waited for him to pass. I wondered what he was thinking as he got close to me. Sure we had eye contact, but...as someone else said, sometimes that doesn't work. What were his options at that point? He had basically none. We all just need to be extra careful, extra observant and extra deliberant in our actions in a car.

Good day,

Woodyspda

Boiling blood

In Today's Enterprise: Two killed in motorcycle crash

I say Lateesha Shonte Cooper needs to be put away for the rest of her life, or worse. Can't people just take that one extra second to look a bit more carefully (perhaps put down the cell phone?) to make sure the road is clear before you decide to pull out? Nothing like pulling out in front of a pretty much defenseless motorcyle.

Now I know there are usually two sides to every story, but...this is an unfortunate common occurance. "I just didn't see him".

I just don't get it....now two people are dead, because of Lateesha Shonte Cooper. Let this be a call to specifically look for motorcyles when pulling out into the street.

Oh, and I don't ride one (yet), but my Mom and Dad did, and I always worried about them; not because of my Dad's ability but for this very reason here.

Seems to me you take one side of the story. You stirred the pot not me. You make assumptions in your post that may or may not be true. You assume Ms. Cooper wasn't vigilant... don't judge lest ye be judged.

You assume the bike owner was an innocent and blamed the cage driver 100%... grow up. Read through your thread and you'll see that there are plenty of bad bike riders and cage drivers out there. This county is full of bad drivers and bikers... plenty of examples have been made. Be responsible for your own actions and don't blame others for your misgivings.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7) 320x240; VZW; Motorola-Q9c; Windows Mobile 6.0 Standard)

aps45819 said:
There is no rationale for imposing heavier fine on cars drivers simply because they are driving a car and they cause more damage to a biker.

But a commuter bus full of people is far more efficient than a bike. Does the bike face a harsher penalty if it hits a bus?

If the lady in the accident we are discussing was carrying four passengers would she be less liable than if she was alone?

Jbeckman

New law/penalty for failing to yield right of way.

NOTICE: NEW PENALTY LAW AFFECTING RIGHT OF WAY CRASHES RESULTING IN SERIOUS BODILY INJURY OR DEATH

EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2008, if any road user violates any provision of the right-of-way section of the Rules of the Road (Subtitle 4) in a crash that results in serious bodily injury or death, the violator is also subject to this new penalty. This section includes, but is not limited to crashes involving motorcycles, bicycles and pedestrians.

CITATION:
Article – Transportation
§27–114.
(A) IF A PERSON VIOLATES ANY PROVISION OF TITLE 21, SUBTITLE 4 OF THIS ARTICLE AND THE VIOLATION CONTRIBUTES TO AN ACCIDENT THAT RESULTS IN THE DEATH OR, AS DEFINED IN § 27–113 OF THIS SUBTITLE, SERIOUS BODILY INJURY OF ANOTHER, THE PERSON IS GUILTY OF A MISDEMEANOR AND ON CONVICTION:
(1) THE PERSON IS SUBJECT TO A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN
$1,000; AND
(2) THE ADMINISTRATION MAY SUSPEND THE PERSON’S LICENSE FOR NOT MORE THAN 180 DAYS.

EXAMPLE OF UPDATED FINES AND PENALTIES:

21-401 Failure of vehicle to yield intersection right-of-way to
another vehicle

Fine Points
$110.00 01
If violation contributes to an accident $150.00 03
If violation contributes to an accident that results in Death
(Code 5) or Serious Injury (Code 4) $750.00 03

Changes are being made to the manual Uniform Traffic Citation forms (R-49) and the District Court Fine Schedule (DC/CR-90) to accommodate the implementation of this new penalty. Law enforcement agencies will be notified of these changes in September, with the new system taking effect October 1, 2008. This will include the use of a 5-point scale for injury severity.

This new penalty is NOT in the current District Court Fine Schedule and officers may not be aware of this law. This new penalty should be applied to at least all fatal cases using current manual citation forms until the new forms and guidance become available in late September.

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
New law/penalty for failing to yield right of way.

NOTICE: NEW PENALTY LAW AFFECTING RIGHT OF WAY CRASHES RESULTING IN SERIOUS BODILY INJURY OR DEATH

EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2008, if any road user violates any provision of the right-of-way section of the Rules of the Road (Subtitle 4) in a crash that results in serious bodily injury or death, the violator is also subject to this new penalty. This section includes, but is not limited to crashes involving motorcycles, bicycles and pedestrians.

CITATION:
Article – Transportation
§27–114.
(A) IF A PERSON VIOLATES ANY PROVISION OF TITLE 21, SUBTITLE 4 OF THIS ARTICLE AND THE VIOLATION CONTRIBUTES TO AN ACCIDENT THAT RESULTS IN THE DEATH OR, AS DEFINED IN § 27–113 OF THIS SUBTITLE, SERIOUS BODILY INJURY OF ANOTHER, THE PERSON IS GUILTY OF A MISDEMEANOR AND ON CONVICTION:
(1) THE PERSON IS SUBJECT TO A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN
$1,000; AND
(2) THE ADMINISTRATION MAY SUSPEND THE PERSON’S LICENSE FOR NOT MORE THAN 180 DAYS.

EXAMPLE OF UPDATED FINES AND PENALTIES:

21-401 Failure of vehicle to yield intersection right-of-way to
another vehicle

Fine Points
$110.00 01
If violation contributes to an accident $150.00 03
If violation contributes to an accident that results in Death
(Code 5) or Serious Injury (Code 4) $750.00 03

Changes are being made to the manual Uniform Traffic Citation forms (R-49) and the District Court Fine Schedule (DC/CR-90) to accommodate the implementation of this new penalty. Law enforcement agencies will be notified of these changes in September, with the new system taking effect October 1, 2008. This will include the use of a 5-point scale for injury severity.

This new penalty is NOT in the current District Court Fine Schedule and officers may not be aware of this law. This new penalty should be applied to at least all fatal cases using current manual citation forms until the new forms and guidance become available in late September.
Dang, $1000. That'll make them pay! :rolleyes: :sarcasm:

bcp

In My Opinion
Dang, $1000. That'll make them pay! :rolleyes: :sarcasm:
seriously.
oh well, at least we have a good idea of the value of someones life...

it does say that it includes, but not limited to, so, it applies for car to car accidents.

at least, in a thread like this, as mentioned above, we all take a little more care, (I do, and imagine others do too) to make sure that the motorcycle rider is seen, has the room get by you, and is given the same respect that you would a larger vehicle.

oh, and about those Harley riders being safe?
I was thinking the same thing, never saw one riding like an ass..
as luck would have it, there was one on the beltway this afternoon doing the high speed traffic weave,, what are the odds..
most the time I see them riding in larger groups, going the limit or just under.

at any rate, regardless of your position on things like, fines, right of way etc... make it a point to look a little closer to make sure you are not fixing to kill a biker. With the price of fuel, and the not so sweet economy, you might be seeing more of them on the road.

I would love to go a month even without seeing a thread on another bike accident.