Motorcyle crash, 2 killed. Makes my blood boil!

glhs837

Power with Control
Okay what people need to realize is that a bike is going to leave skid marks trying to stop suddenly. a motorcycle only has about 6"square of rubber on the road at any given time. thats equals about 1 tire on a car.no ABS and no, I'm bigger than they are sensors,in a emergency stop it's hard to control.

GOOGLE Motorcycle Accidents.

DId the Airbags deploy? If not there wasn't enough force to cause them to deploy which means that the VICTIMS were not going that fast.

Kudos BCP :howdy:
An ACCIDENT is just that ..... it's an ACCIDENT. I'm sure the couple on the motorcycle and the driver of the car did not leave their homes knowing that they'd be involved in this horrific event. Accidents are unfortunate and sad but they happen nonetheless.

Okay, a few facts on airbags. They dont deploy "when the sensors get hit", they deploy when the sensors detect enough deceleration over time to indicate a crash of enough severity that injuries are likely. And the pics I saw looked nothing like that amount of force was applied to the car, as noted, it was a sideswipe kinda deal, not massive deceleration to the car.

About "accidents". Crash folks dont like to use that term, theres very few real accidents. Meaning an incident that could not be prevented, in one way or another. Ivestigators use something like an incident chain, identifying the choices that led up to the incident.

Since we dont know the physical facts of the incident, we have no way to identify who made what choices, and therefore cant analyze this incident properly.

I will note my 4100lb car, with a much worse power to weight ratio than the R1, can get to 60 in under 5 seconds. Theres very, very few patches of pavement short enough that I cant get to 60 in them. An R-1 can most likely, even with two aboard, hit 80 in the same or better.

Non-riders really dont appreciate how fast these things can get to ludicrous speed.

W

Wenchy

These threads make me very sad.

All of my friends...I know you are good and safe. The people around you are not.

Riding a bike is something I would love to do if there were no crazy distracted drivers on the road.

I will continue to worry and pray for all of you who choose to get on a motorcycle. I will do my best to see you, but no promises there. If I kill one of you I will want to kill myself.

Prayers for the young couple lost and the families who are going through the grief. Also, for the woman who was driving the car.

It could have been me or you.

They could not have been going too fast the forks were not bent inward. I would say between 30-50 mph on estimate. Forks will bend pretty easily on impact.

I think the big question is how fast before that?

Read the next quote.

At first I thought the same thing but if you look at the photos on Thebaynet
It looks a lot to me like the bike sideswiped the car.

Looks like it to me also.

are you sure they didn't high side...the bike may not have hit head on

From the marks on the car it looks like the bike was upright when it hit and looking at where the bike and bodies ended up it looks like they were all together at impact.

Last edited:

bcp

In My Opinion
These threads make me very sad.

All of my friends...I know you are good and safe. The people around you are not.

Riding a bike is something I would love to do if there were no crazy distracted drivers on the road.

I will continue to worry and pray for all of you who choose to get on a motorcycle. I will do my best to see you, but no promises there. If I kill one of you I will want to kill myself.

Prayers for the young couple lost and the families who are going through the grief. Also, for the woman who was driving the car.

It could have been me or you.

Makes me sad to hear about people losing their lives early too.
fact is, those drivers that speed up to cut off the bike, or pull out because they "think" they have enough room, do it to other cars too. I dont think it has to do with a bike, it has to do with ignorance.
this is why I think that additional penalties for hitting a bike are not a very good idea. do we also give harsher punishment if someone in a tractor trailer has an accident with a small car? where would the break off for punishment be?
F-250 vs Smart car? does the driver of the F-250 face harsher treatment?

Beta84

They're out to get us
Makes me sad to hear about people losing their lives early too.
fact is, those drivers that speed up to cut off the bike, or pull out because they "think" they have enough room, do it to other cars too. I dont think it has to do with a bike, it has to do with ignorance.
this is why I think that additional penalties for hitting a bike are not a very good idea. do we also give harsher punishment if someone in a tractor trailer has an accident with a small car? where would the break off for punishment be?
F-250 vs Smart car? does the driver of the F-250 face harsher treatment?

smart cars are smart in Europe and absolutely retarded in america. i don't know why anyone would drive one.

agreed, a motorcycle (or any other vehicle) on the road is treated just like any other. That's the rules of the road. All vehicles are created equal (or maybe treated equally? :lol: bad joke...sorry).

bcp

In My Opinion
360 degree cameras should be installed on ALL vehicles and in the case of an accident the tape should be allowed in court to discover what really happened.

now, if someone cuts off a bike because its a bike, then I say let them burn in hell. And, from riding, I do know that these ignorant individuals get behind the wheel on a regular basis.
At least they used to, I dont expect things have changed much.

I would be riding now if not for my mongloidian and hideous disability that keeps me from shifting or holding the bike up safely.

oh well, look at the bright side, I can get the best parking at the store if I feel like it.

willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyOps
Outside of proving that the driver of the car purposely hit the biker simply because he was riding a bike, explain the rationale for this?

Awareness, my friend. Pay attention. Cars aren't the only things on the road.

Using that line of thinking, the penalty for ALL violations should be increased. It's an ignorant proposal.

bcp

In My Opinion
Quote:
Outside of proving that the driver of the car purposely hit the biker simply because he was riding a bike, explain the rationale for this?

Using that line of thinking, the penalty for ALL violations should be increased. It's an ignorant proposal.
little harsh calling her ignorant, BS is far from that.

but, I do think that those on bikes also have to understand that they are not always the easiest thing to see on the road.

dont even get me started on the rice rockets on the highway that pass you at 100+ miles per hour.

If, there were to be greater fines, punishment for being involved with a motorcycle in an accident, I would expect that there be greater fines and penalties for the riders of those motorcycles when they get caught riding like an ass, or speeding.

They need to take ownership of their part in the accidents. and I would bet the majority of those accidents are dare devil bikers that dont know how to properly handle their bike.

And your logic ignores the fact that every biker should have the reality that when they get on the road, just like any other kind of driver, they could get in an accident. The only difference being a bike against a car... the bike is going to lose. THAT is the reality of it. Your logic omits that reality. Someone driving a car should not be held to some higher consequence just because they get in an accident with a vehicle that is more difficult to see and the result is more catestrphic. I mean given this logic if a semi crushes a Civic they should be fined more heavily than if a Lexus crashed with a Civic.

Let me break it down in simple bullets for you;

• I am not saying all MC riders are obeying traffic laws or not paying attention.
  • I am not saying all cars cause accidents with motorcycles.
  • I am not saying "car drivers should pay a higher consequences if they are IN and accident"
  • I am saying, "car drivers should pay a higher consequences if they CAUSE the accident."

You can think whatever you want, obviously you do not understand what I am saying... maybe capitalization and bolding might help you see the difference of what you are thinking and what I am saying .

I totally agree with stricter penalties for a driver that hits a cycle, if it is the driver's fault.

That said, how often do you see someone on a motorcycle talking on a cell phone, putting on makeup, arguing with kids in the backseat, zoning out to music etc.?

:phew: At least someone understands... it is apparently others cannot pull their heads out of their asses to understand what I am saying. :rolleyes:

PsyOps

Pixelated
Awareness, my friend. Pay attention. Cars aren't the only things on the road.

Awareness for something that is more difficult to see? Okay... Let's increase fines for pickup trucks when they crash into small cars. Let's increase fines for box trucks that crash into pickup trucks. Let's increase fines for semis that crash... well..... into anything smaller than them.

You seem to ignore the fact that bikers know (or should know) that riding vehicle this small size will have more severe conseuquences in an accident with a larger vehicle, and this being the facts, a person driving car should not have to pay more severe for that decision.

Quote:

She means well.

• I am not saying all MC riders are obeying traffic laws or not paying attention.
  • I am not saying "car drivers should pay a higher consequences if they are IN and accident"
  • I am saying, "car drivers should pay a higher consequences if they CAUSE the accident."

You can think whatever you want, obviously you do not understand what I am saying... maybe capitalization and bolding might help you see the difference of what you are thinking and what I am saying .

:phew: At least someone understands... it is apparently others cannot pull their heads out of their asses to understand what I am saying. :rolleyes:

It's not like there is no precedent. There are stiffer laws for drugs in a school zone for example. I would think, though, that civil suits would cover the stiffer penalty concept. Plus that way the family would benifit rather than the state paying for incarceration.

little harsh calling her ignorant, BS is far from that..

:yay:

but, I do think that those on bikes also have to understand that they are not always the easiest thing to see on the road.

I know I did, and that was part of the training you went through - make yourself visible to others, give yourself an out, do not ride in an auto's blind spot... I was conscious of these items, but others are probably not.

dont even get me started on the rice rockets on the highway that pass you at 100+ miles per hour.

Could not agree with you more, I can those people "Statistics" - Hoover calls them "Donors" - when they bite the dust I have no remorse as they were rolling the dice... I feel bad for the innocent victims they injure or kill in a crash. :yay:

If, there were to be greater fines, punishment for being involved with a motorcycle in an accident, I would expect that there be greater fines and penalties for the riders of those motorcycles when they get caught riding like an ass, or speeding.

:yay: Could not agree with you more. Charles County started a program 2 or 3 years ago basically cracking down on MC riders driving fast and aggressive - like asses. The police are handing them the maximum fines on the books with no breaks when they are stopped. The judges are not showing leeway if they decide to go to court. This is the way it should be.

I even think they should throw the book at them and DOUBLE the fines/penalties. This would send a message...

They need to take ownership of their part in the accidents. and I would bet the majority of those accidents are dare devil bikers that dont know how to properly handle their bike.

This is a general problem in America, it's not my fault - always someone else's. No one wants to take responsibility... I believe my points above would curb some of this behavior.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
[*]I am saying, "car drivers should pay a higher consequences if they CAUSE the accident."
[/LIST]

You can think whatever you want, obviously you do not understand what I am saying...

I understand what you're saying, and if we did that, then we'd have to make any larger vehicle that causes an accident should suffer a higher consequence, whether it be a car hitting a bike, or a semi hitting a hummer. I have to agree with Cyclops on this. If you drive a bike, you are aware of the potential dangers, just as when driving a compact car, you're aware of the dangers.

What we need is for the cops to enforce the existing laws. I see laws broken every day by drivers, and many times I see cops turn a blind eye to those broken laws because they don't want to be bothered. I guess they think if an accident wasn't the result of the broken law, "no harm, no foul".

Awareness for something that is more difficult to see? Okay... Let's increase fines for pickup trucks when they crash into small cars. Let's increase fines for box trucks that crash into pickup trucks. Let's increase fines for semis that crash... well..... into anything smaller than them.

You seem to ignore the fact that bikers know (or should know) that riding vehicle this small size will have more severe conseuquences in an accident with a larger vehicle, and this being the facts, a person driving car should not have to pay more severe for that decision.

This argument is getting tiresome, not to mention ridiculous. Since when is a pickup truck difficult to see? Since they are so vulnerable, these pickup drivers, why don't we require them to wear helmets?

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08

"Awareness" as in "look twice before you pull out, put your effin cell phone down, etc."

I am also of the opinion that if you're talking on a cell phone or texting while driving, you should get a ticket. And if you cause an accident while on a cell phone, your fine should be doubled.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
"Awareness" as in "look twice before you pull out, put your effin cell phone down, etc."

I am also of the opinion that if you're talking on a cell phone or texting while driving, you should get a ticket. And if you cause an accident while on a cell phone, your fine should be doubled.

I see people on phones a lot, but they're not always multi tasking. I have people pull out in front of me all the time, and I'd say most of the time the only thing they're doing is driving. I agree that you shouldn't be on the cell phone when you're driving, but that's becoming a tiring argument.

PsyOps

Pixelated

Because I disagree you think I don’t understand your position? Why in the world would a car driver be fined at all if the biker caused the accident or if both were found at fault? I know we are talking about the car driver being found at fault. So your only course of action is to get ugly and claim I don’t understand.

There is no rationale for imposing heavier fine on cars drivers simply because they are driving a car and they cause more damage to a biker. It wasn’t my choice that the biker chose to drive something that was less safe and harder to see on the road. Just like it’s not the fault of an SUV driver that I chose to drive something (Honda Civic) that would get crushed in an accident with an SUV.