Moving to Charles County?

tiny tim

Hello,
Just trying to get some advice on where to move in Charles county. I used to live there, moved in 2001. Married with 2 boys (7, 4). My job may have me in the area again in late summer.
my advice is: if you value your life more than you value a strawberry cheesecake then don't do it.

Roadrunner9605

I have been reading this thread through and I find it interesting the negative context that Charles County is seen in. I have lived here almost my whole life, am educated, have traveled (Husband was military) and have two children. As with any place you have your good and your bad. There are good areas of St. Mary's County and very bad areas. The same is true for Charles County and specifically La Plata and Waldorf. <p>I have attended the schools which have been written about here in a horrible context. Many years ago Lackey High School and Thomas Stone had a negative reputation. I see that nothing has changed in more than ten years. I received a great education at Lackey High School, we have friends and neighbors that have children that attend this school and I have heard good things. I also hear good and bad things about La Plata high school as well. My children attend school on this side of the County also and are receiving a great education with very caring teachers with SMALLER class sizes. Schools for a large part are all what you as parents and your children make it. You have to decide for yourself which is better for you as a family. The County has changed but alot of the residents that made this place a nice area years ago are still here. There are other areas than Waldorf and you need to be the judge.

T

toppick08

I have been reading this thread through and I find it interesting the negative context that Charles County is seen in. I have lived here almost my whole life, am educated, have traveled (Husband was military) and have two children. As with any place you have your good and your bad. There are good areas of St. Mary's County and very bad areas. The same is true for Charles County and specifically La Plata and Waldorf. <p>I have attended the schools which have been written about here in a horrible context. Many years ago Lackey High School and Thomas Stone had a negative reputation. I see that nothing has changed in more than ten years. I received a great education at Lackey High School, we have friends and neighbors that have children that attend this school and I have heard good things. I also hear good and bad things about La Plata high school as well. My children attend school on this side of the County also and are receiving a great education with very caring teachers with SMALLER class sizes. Schools for a large part are all what you as parents and your children make it. You have to decide for yourself which is better for you as a family. The County has changed but alot of the residents that made this place a nice area years ago are still here. There are other areas than Waldorf and you need to be the judge.

:yeahthat:.....I always liked Chuck Co...

Hard to believe in 1970, both St.Mary's and Charles Co. had about the same population.....:ohwell:

robinsonhj

Thanks for the rundown. Yeah, i can't believe it's as bad as some people are saying. Yet I know it is different than 10yrs ago when i use to live in Waldorf. No matter where you go you can't avoid growth and you can't live like a hermit. I think I made a decision on laplata, calvert is just to far out. I'm still about 6 months away because my job has me on long term TDY in the area for that time period. That kind of gives me time to check things out further, like before and after care/housing etc.

Roadrunner9605

Once you choose an area and a school you may want to check out before and after care at the school. Everyone I have talked with at different schools has been very happy with it. Good luck!