Need some brilliant ideas

wineo

loving life
I have flown a few times with my Shih Tuz, and she did well when I had to put her in cargo from SF to LA and then to AZ.

When I flew back to MD, she flew with me in a carry on under the seat. How big is your dog?? Mine was weighing in at 15lbs.

Good luck..

somdfunguy

not impressed
We made the drive from Austin with two dogs. Stayed at Holiday Inn and La Quinta for the trip. Almost all La Quintas allow pets without an extra charge. Holiday Inn is all over the place from free to $10-$25 to no dogs allowed. The website above is a good one, so is a AAA travel guide.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Here he is!

Attachments

• apollo.jpg
    apollo.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 185
  • apollo2.jpg
    apollo2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 174

acommondisaster

We've flown from AZ to BWI with a dog in cargo. This is a good time of year, if you have a layover, since the tarmack isn't going to be blazing hot. Talk to the airlines about any apprehension you have about making sure the dog makes it to the second leg of your flight. You should be able to do do last on/first off. And seriously, like I said in the other thread - get a nylon collar and put name and phone number on it with a sharpie - it can't hurt.

The dog looks like it'd fit under the seat with the right carrier. Call the airline and see if it's permitted, because they have to have a certain ratio. I think it cost us $50 per leg of the flight....the kicker is, if you're changing planes, you have to get it reserved for each flight. You CANNOT take the dog out of the carrier during the flight. (I know that seems obvious, but my curling iron has a warning not to stick it in my eye, so I thought I'd state the obvious here, too).

Alternatives:
- Driving the dog back from your stopover doesnt sound like an awful idea.
- There are doggie transports available, a rescue organization wherever you are right now may be able to put you in touch with one, but you may be running out of time for that.

People fly with (show)dogs all of the time, with layovers and plane changes. You just have to take a few precautions - like being a pain in the arse at the airport about making sure the dog is taken care of. I'm pretty sure you can do that. :)

acommondisaster

SWA pet policy:

Carry-On Pet Policy:
Southwest Airlines allows customers to carry small pets (cats and dogs only) on board all Southwest Airlines flights. All in-cabin pets must be carried in an appropriate pet carrier. The pet fee is $75.00 each way per pet carrier. Each customer is limited to carrying one pet carrier on board. The carrier may contain up to two cats or dogs of the same species. The carrier will count as the customer’s carry-on bag. Southwest does not require a health certificate or any other documentation from the customer’s veterinarian for pets to travel.

Carrier Guidelines:
Soft-sided and hard-sided carriers specifically designed as pet carriers are acceptable. The carriers must be leak-proof and well ventilated. The pet carrier must be small enough to fit under the seat in front of the customer and be stowed in accordance with Federal Aviation Administration regulations. The cat or dog must be able to stand up and move around the carrier with ease.

No dogs in cargo on SWA.
Southwest Airlines Pet Travel Policy

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Hey - I fly my pets on SWA alla time - don't know what the problem is!!! :shrug: They each get their own seats, too! :biggrin:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
He's a sweetie, vrai.

But part of me is thinking you are going to regret this. I should have had you watch my little guy for a weekend... THEN tell me if you still want a dog. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
He's a sweetie, vrai.

But part of me is thinking you are going to regret this. I should have had you watch my little guy for a weekend... THEN tell me if you still want a dog. :lol:

See, and that's like saying, "You should borrow my husband and kids, and see if you still want to get married and have children." :lol: