##### needed in coming year

thatguy

I purchased a dog to be a working dog.... not all rescue dogs have the will, the drive, desire to "work". I got lucky with my first bloodhound I rescued... pretty sure I was not going to get lucky the second time. I wanted to start from a pup and develop that relationship and is crucial to a "team" - Handler/K-9. She was spayed at 9 months! That was in my contract... OH noooooo I didnt want to breed. If I want a pet... I would rescue a dog in a heartbeat.... but right now I only have room for dogs that want a working career. So I dont see that as a hypocrite on my part.

As for her being responsible???? She should have known about all the Certs she needed on her dog to be a "good" breeder. Things she should be doing with the dog, that she should not breed the dog before he was 2 years of age.... she seemed not to have known none of this. I hope it opens her eyes that its not what she thought of. Chows have lots of health issues... hope its not passed on if there are any.

so i guess you think you have a corner on defining "being responsible" :killingme

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
so i guess you think you have a corner on defining "being responsible" :killingme

Im not putting useless pups in the world. And have no plans to do so.
So you think the police use dogs from the pounds? NO those dogs are breed to do a job... drive is what they look for in the pups. Very few pound, or rescue dogs can handle the working life. Its two different worlds... too bad you dont understand that.

thatguy

Im not putting useless pups in the world. And have no plans to do so.
So you think the police use dogs from the pounds? NO those dogs are breed to do a job... drive is what they look for in the pups. Very few pound, or rescue dogs can handle the working life. Its two different worlds... too bad you dont understand that.

ok, your rant had nothing to do with the post you were responding to.....
i guess you lack the ability to comprehend what you read as well

i have never said that anyone should or shouldn't breed a dog or any animal for that matter. If the person doing the breeding is going to be responsibile for the outcome then it is their decision alone, they certainly dont need any help from the buttinski crowd.

cattataint

Yes, I purchased from someone that I mistakenly trusted, a forum member, who assured me her dogs were healthy.

Your user ID is clearly a dig at me. Why don't you come out from behind your MPD? Until then, you can play your games without my participation.

Full of yourself much? It was actually a drunken observation about my cats balls but if you want to think its about you go right ahead. :killingme

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Against MY wishes my (now) Ex decided we were buying a German Bred Rottweiler locally - ok so she was a NICE dog but the contract stated not only did we HAVE to breed her, we had to use the stud of the breeders choice. The breeder was into "line breeding". So 2 years later I find myself taking care of puppies that I did NOT want - AND the breeder was to get the pick of the litter (that ole contract). I did not like any of it but my Ex wasn't INTO rescue like I was.

We kept one of the pups and he was awesome. During his life my Ex wanted to let him breed so bad, yet I was opposed to it and would not agree. He was NOT breed standard - he was gigantic at over 150 lbs. Great dog, then he turned 7 and got sick. $900 later we knew he was dying of Pancreatic Cancer and had to put him out out of his misery. I loved that dog so much but I was embarrassed to admit that I participated in the breeding process knowing how many dogs die in shelters. So ...... I contacted a Rottie Rescue named Roxie's Fund and adopted Quinn. I think I was trying to "make up" for the breeding stuff and he was my special angel.

So people should not be so quick to judge someone who BUYS a pet. There are many things that can lead one to BUY a pet and it doesn't necessarily make them bad. If you want a high quality breed you sometimes do need to buy one.

I have a friend who did Rottie showing/breeding in the past. She has always taken in rescues from the shelter to compensate for her breeding for show. I think that balances it out pretty well that way.

Thank you! I was not aware of this and will refrain from using it.

Again, good info. Thanks! And i do apologize for earlier.

More good info! But I don't plan on showing him. Apparently, I was using terminology I shouldn't have.

Now all of you, the pictures are old, but still, isn't he gorgeous? And when have you ever seen a cream Chow? Until now, I never had although I knew they were out there. He really is gorgeous. He's more white with cream on his 4 legs, his face and ears, down the middle of his back and the very tip of his tail. He's a love bug and is doing quite well with his training. Yes, we dropped out of the class, but I bought a book to replace the class.

And as I learn more about breeding him, I may even change my mind about it. :shrug:

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
Against MY wishes my (now) Ex decided we were buying a German Bred Rottweiler locally - ok so she was a NICE dog but the contract stated not only did we HAVE to breed her, we had to use the stud of the breeders choice. The breeder was into "line breeding". So 2 years later I find myself taking care of puppies that I did NOT want - AND the breeder was to get the pick of the litter (that ole contract). I did not like any of it but my Ex wasn't INTO rescue like I was.

We kept one of the pups and he was awesome. During his life my Ex wanted to let him breed so bad, yet I was opposed to it and would not agree. He was NOT breed standard - he was gigantic at over 150 lbs. Great dog, then he turned 7 and got sick. $900 later we knew he was dying of Pancreatic Cancer and had to put him out out of his misery. I loved that dog so much but I was embarrassed to admit that I participated in the breeding process knowing how many dogs die in shelters. So ...... I contacted a Rottie Rescue named Roxie's Fund and adopted Quinn. I think I was trying to "make up" for the breeding stuff and he was my special angel.

So people should not be so quick to judge someone who BUYS a pet. There are many things that can lead one to BUY a pet and it doesn't necessarily make them bad. If you want a high quality breed you sometimes do need to buy one.

I have a friend who did Rottie showing/breeding in the past. She has always taken in rescues from the shelter to compensate for her breeding for show. I think that balances it out pretty well that way.

Thank you! I was not aware of this and will refrain from using it.

Again, good info. Thanks! And i do apologize for earlier.

I guess the boards have been so boring some excitement was needed. :killingme OK I once again provided it. Glad to be of service! But the WHOLE intent of this thread was about my 4 month old dog and his habit's at 6 pm every night. Obviously, that was not made clear. Sorry. And it can be embarrassing.

FYI ALL, all of our previous chows (4) while all were males, we had them neutered at the appropriate age, or they came to us that way. Just to point out to some of you, WE are not the inexperienced Chow owner.

I learned a lot about breeding etc from this thread. I'll continue to learn. And as I said in my last post, who knows, I may decide not to do so.

And yes, WE paid a large sum for Bogart. Because we did not want a 'back yard bred' dog.

Enough said peeps lets all just play nice.

Loper

Animal Poor!
I guess the boards have been so boring some excitement was needed. :killingme OK I once again provided it. Glad to be of service! But the WHOLE intent of this thread was about my 4 month old dog and his habit's at 6 pm every night. Obviously, that was not made clear. Sorry. And it can be embarrassing.

FYI ALL, all of our previous chows (4) while all were males, we had them neutered at the appropriate age, or they came to us that way. Just to point out to some of you, WE are not the inexperienced Chow owner.

I learned a lot about breeding etc from this thread. I'll continue to learn. And as I said in my last post, who knows, I may decide not to do so.

And yes, WE paid a large sum for Bogart. Because we did not want a 'back yard bred' dog.

Your whole intent of this thread seems to be about you wanting to stud out your 4-month-old Chow because you think he is show quality and has nice colored fur and you have not seen too many Cream-colored Chows in the area. :Ohandpaidalargesumforhim: You have no idea about breed standards of a Chow and no idea what Show Quality means except that his parents may have been :becausethebreedertoldyouso: You do not intend to show said puppy to see what he is capable of.

You dropped out of obedience training because you did not like the teacher and bought a book to help train a seriously willful breed that you say you have experience in with previous Chow ownership.

All of this because of his humping habit that you are embarrassed by.

Did I miss anything? :buddies:

HappyCats

Now all of you, the pictures are old, but still, isn't he gorgeous? And when have you ever seen a cream Chow? Until now, I never had although I knew they were out there. He really is gorgeous. He's more white with cream on his 4 legs, his face and ears, down the middle of his back and the very tip of his tail. He's a love bug and is doing quite well with his training. Yes, we dropped out of the class, but I bought a book to replace the class.

eh, he's ok... :whistle:

I must say that you didn't give the instructor a chance anymore than he gave your dog a chance and by the way...the class is great!

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy

I wish you luck Suz.

BUT..remember..there are tons of "internet" breeders that charge big bucks for dogs just because people will pay for them thinking that the price is an indication of how "good" the dog is. Good breeders don't need to advertise their dogs on the internet, they don't breed many litters and generally have waiting lists for their pups. Puppy mills are the worst offenders for charging large sums of money for sick and poorly breed puppies.

Check out the Puppy Find link. Puppies for Sale, Dogs for Sale and Dog Breeders

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I wish you luck Suz.

BUT..remember..there are tons of "internet" breeders that charge big bucks for dogs just because people will pay for them thinking that the price is an indication of how "good" the dog is. Good breeders don't need to advertise their dogs on the internet, they don't breed many litters and generally have waiting lists for their pups. Puppy mills are the worst offenders for charging large sums of money for sick and poorly breed puppies.

Check out the Puppy Find link. Puppies for Sale, Dogs for Sale and Dog Breeders
:yeahthat:

some peeps just will never get it. I have a guy I work with that has a lab (not AKC or anything) and want to breeder her. :faint:

TurboK9

because we all know that the only dogs of value are registered and everybody hates a lab :killingme

Too bad that was sarcasm. Dogs in the US would be a lot better off if our breeding programs followed in the footsteps of the German breeders. They have to basically prove the dog is capable of performing it's traditional job, and tend to also insist on a CH. They police themselves, it's not a law... Here, we breed willy nilly without any thought as to health, temperament, or ability... the latter of course being sort of moot in the case of many breeds such as a Peke... But anyway, how many Labs in the US do you think ever field trial or title as bird dogs? There is a reason that many working dog folk won't buy a US bred dog... the European dogs simply do better. Sad.

I've got a friend up in Maine who has been entering Dock Dog trials with his APBT, and they just took 2nd in the finals for speed retrieve a couple weeks ago... Good for the APBT, but doesn't say much for the Labs, LOL.

Cardio Myiopa, Von Willonbrands, Wobblers Syndrome... genetic diseases common in the Dobermann. In the 70's and early 80's they were a very popular dog, so people started buying and breeding them just to make a buck. All the ignorant fools did was line breed to the point where genetic traits became 'fixed' and for all intensive purposes, part of the DObermann 'type'. Same thing has happened to most of the small breeds, the Dalmation, the GSD, the Rott... almost every breed that has ever had a semblance of popularity is predisposed to genetic conditions that were rare 50 years ago. It's because of such that Suz got jumped. People need to be educated, dissuaded from breeding at least until they have taken the time to learn how to avoid making such mistakes, and learned how to do it in a manner to contribute to the health, not detriment, of a breed. There's a lot more science and knowledge that goes into it than most people know. Heck, I don't even thin AKC or titling is enough, I'd like to see people learn about genetics first, color dilution, trait morphism, etc. but I now that's asking a bit much.

Independence

I am amazed at the people who have actually stopped me and asked if I want to breed my boxer not knowing anything about his history. Now my boy comes from champion stock. He has even won blue ribbons in the 18-month old boxer puppy class. I knew then that he was beautiful but as he matured from there he did not grow big enough to meet the breed standards. He was neutered immediately. 3.5 years later he has terminal cancer, I can't imagine what I would feel if I had allowed him to stud and possibly pass on the cancer gene to the puppies. Please leave the breeding to people that actually work to better the breeds. There are already so many inherent health issues in pure bred dogs. The goal is to better the breed not to make more "show quality" puppies.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You know, if I ever decide to get a dog (which is highly unlikely) I will NEVER tell you guys about it. Any advice you all might give wouldn't be worth being scrutinized by the Pet Police.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
You know, if I ever decide to get a dog (which is highly unlikely) I will NEVER tell you guys about it. Any advice you all might give wouldn't be worth being scrutinized by the Pet Police.

You need a pet like Rowdy...

Attachments

• Rowdy.jpg
    Rowdy.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 42

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
because we all know that the only dogs of value are registered and everybody hates a lab :killingme
so you took what I was saying wrong. It has nothing to do with value of the dog. I know many dogs reg. that are so poorly breed and with so many health issues due to over breeding because of ignorance.

That is the point... he was not educated of the health issues the dogs could have and pass on because of poor breeding. Labs are close to the number one dogs that get turned into rescues because of over breeding, and family not understanding the breed they have decided on.

Most people think its as simple as just letting the dog get prego, have pups, and they are easy to get rid of. I know someone right now who "accidently" had a litter of pup and the female passed away a week after having a litter of 8-9 pups. WOW NEWS FLASH.... now you have to bottle feed them every two hours and play mom. They are making due but has been very hard adjustment on the family. He has said he will never go thru that again and will make sure it does not happen again. He is finding out that its not cheap, and its not going to be easy to place the puppies.

Genetics is a crazy thing.... even the well breed dogs are not guaranteed free of health issues but careful breeding cuts down on it. Its common sense :shrug:

TurboK9

Team SOMD Pet Police. Let's make a movie!