New poll: 58% favor marijuana legalization

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Why?

Do you honestly believe mobs of people will suddenly start smoking dope and have only been held back by the law? Seriously?

If so, how come everyone doesn't drink? It's legal.

I swear we live in a land of perfect subjects. We do what government tells us is OK. We don't do what government says not to do.

Really????

Taco Bell stock won't be worth anymore then than it is now because there won't be some dramatic increase in pot heads.
Because yes I do believe that most people don't smoke it just because it's illegal, legalizing it would increase the users and the Taco Bell use would increase. Do you think that the use of alcohol remained constant from 1910-1940 or was there a dip in use from 1919-1933?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Because yes I do believe that most people don't smoke it just because it's illegal, legalizing it would increase the users and the Taco Bell use would increase. Do you think that the use of alcohol remained constant from 1910-1940 or was there a dip in use from 1919-1933?

As we know, alcohol use did not dip during prohibition. Which is why that foolishness was ended.

What DID happen was the violence and the corruption.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

So, if it was legal, you'd start smoking dope regularly?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Larry Gude;5283103[B said:
]As we know, alcohol use did not dip during prohibition[/B]. Which is why that foolishness was ended.

What DID happen was the violence and the corruption.

Can you provide any kind of proof of this.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Can you provide any kind of proof of this.

Google at your leisure.

It seems the consensus is that alcohol use went down perhaps 10-20% during prohibition.

So, if 50% of adults drank before, then, 40-45%, of all adults, still drank.

If we, for the sake of argument, use that model then, could we agree that, statistically and historically speaking, we might be looking at an increase in drug use of, maybe, what, 10-20%?

So, is we accept the 14 million, give or take, number of dope smokers who had used in the last month, that's another, at best, 3 million pot heads?

In exchange for that we get the collapse of drug corruption and violence. Same thing that happened after the end of prohibition.

:buddies:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Don't see how, you're the only one making blanket statements.

No I am not. Why would you take it as a 'blanket' statement?

Your fear is drug legalization will mean more problems than we have now, yes? More people using drugs, yes?

That's a blanket statement because it does not take into account the net positives of the end of prohibition; end of the violence, end of the corruption, treating drugs as a health issue and not a criminal one.

Add to that the fact that many people already do not avail themselves of legal intoxication...by choice. And, to me, that would argue that any increase would be just that, choice, and dealt with accordingly and not in context of the crime or violence or corruption prohibition inflicts on ALL of us.

:buddies: