Offical List For SoMD PHOTO SCAVENGER HUNT!

workaholic

Save the Tatas!!!
I was not able to find a plate for dedication but the sign out front said 1638. But I figured that when the church was formed not the actual building constructed.

Here is the info for the church that I photographed.

St. George’s Episcopal Church, 1799
19167 Poplar Hill Lane
Valley Lee 20692
301-994-0585

The first wooden church was built here between 1638 and 1642. The current church built in 1799, is home to the oldest Episcopal Parish in Maryland and has held continuous services on site since 1638. National Register of Historic Places.

Looks like the actual current structure was built in 1799. I thought that was what we were going for.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I've been to so many church websites, historical websites, and actually churches over the last two days (with Loper!!) that I feel 100% confident that we've got the oldest Church. St. Francis Xavier. The current structure was built in 1731. We took pictures of the churches with established, founded, and patented earlier dates, but after more research each of them are housed in older BUILDINGS.

I have photographic proof and most of the websites have a "history" section detailing the dates of founding and the dates of different buidlings as well as renovations.

MrX

High Octane
I've been to so many church websites, historical websites, and actually churches over the last two days (with Loper!!) that I feel 100% confident that we've got the oldest Church. St. Francis Xavier. The current structure was built in 1731. We took pictures of the churches with established, founded, and patented earlier dates, but after more research each of them are housed in older BUILDINGS.

I have photographic proof and most of the websites have a "history" section detailing the dates of founding and the dates of different buidlings as well as renovations.

I shot the same church! :howdy:

workaholic

Save the Tatas!!!

Yes it looks like you found the oldest. Man and I thought I had the oldest. Oh well.

Nupe2

Great pics folks...I see that my wife and I were busted by several folks...I'll add my busted album tomorrow! :lol:

C

Charmed

All the pictures look great. I wish I would have been able to do it, it looks like a lot of fun. If you do it again I will have to get my camera out. Although by the pictures I don't think mine is half as good as some.

ServiceGuy

Yes, there seems to be allot of confusion about the “oldest” church. I thought Xavier Brothers church in Compton was the oldest church in St Marys, however the historical society list

St. Mary's County Tourism Department - Historic Churches

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Yes, there seems to be allot of confusion about the “oldest” church. I thought Xavier Brothers church in Compton was the oldest church in St Marys, however the historical society list

St. Mary's County Tourism Department - Historic Churches

Yeah, that's why we got pictures of all of them and their signage. I asked someone else why all the churches are lying...they were pragmatic and said it's more likely that the physical documentation isn't there so they're going by word of mouth, passed down, and different people have different "memories". :pete:

Tomcat

Anytime
Who’s gold Mercedes Benz it in all the pictures?

This one?
4.jpg