OK SmallTown is full of it!

K

Katie

Originally posted by SmallTown
Having less money? No, no problem with that. I know a lot of people make more than I do. The problem once again falls on the notion of self pride. The place is an eyesore, and it has nothing to do with money. That is why it is trash.

That is not entirely the residents fault. They can't fix the road, that isn't their job, that is the counties job. Those buildings were falling apart, that isn't their fault either. What do you expect for old buildings built in the 40's(or whatever year it was). I saw some of the people did make their yards look nice, and then there was some that looked like trash. Don't judge a person by where they live. You don't know anything about them or the story of why they are there.

You should volunteer at a veteran's homeless shelter sometime. That will open your eyes wide to the stories of people. Not just work at the shelter but talk to the people get to know them. Don't act like a snot just because they are homeless.

Pookie

Ghetto Fabulous
Having less money? No, no problem with that. I know a lot of people make more than I do. The problem once again falls on the notion of self pride. The place is an eyesore, and it has nothing to do with money. That is why it is trash.

ST, get off it already! You're FOS! :rolleyes: You know a lot of people who make more than you, but I'm sure you wouldn't dare associate with the likes of somebody who makes half the salary you do. This isn't really about money, it's about the stereotypes that are being placed on minorities, anyway. But, I really don't think you grasp that concept - whitey.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Katie
That is not entirely the residents fault. They can't fix the road, that isn't their job, that is the counties job. Those buildings were falling apart, that isn't their fault either. What do you expect for old buildings built in the 40's(or whatever year it was). I saw some of the people did make their yards look nice, and then there was some that looked like trash. Don't judge a person by where they live. You don't know anything about them or the story of why they are there.

You should volunteer at a veteran's homeless shelter sometime. That will open your eyes wide to the stories of people. Not just work at the shelter but talk to the people get to know them. Don't act like a snot just because they are homeless.

The roads aren't the problem. It is the trash that is all around. we had a friend who had a house there because he lived around DC, and wanted a place to go down there when he worked late or what not. The stories he told were pretty scary

K

Katie

Originally posted by cariblue
It takes a real bright chickie-babe to put herself in that situation in the first place.

Stop looking for someone to blame your stupidity on.

Yes I am a stupid b!tch and I won't do that again. I found another metro station to take in. If I was really stupid, I would have walked out to my car alone and then if something happened wondered why it happend. I must have some sort of a brain.

K

Katie

The roads aren't the problem. It is the trash that is all around. we had a friend who had a house there because he lived around DC, and wanted a place to go down there when he worked late or what not. The stories he told were pretty scary

So why didn't he take time and pick up the trash. Why not organize a community trash pick up day, other communities do it. YOu just need someone to take the inititiave and do it.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by ememdee19
ST, get off it already! You're FOS! :rolleyes: You know a lot of people who make more than you, but I'm sure you wouldn't dare associate with the likes of somebody who makes half the salary you do. This isn't really about money, it's about the stereotypes that are being placed on minorities, anyway. But, I really don't think you grasp that concept - whitey.

whitey? Now being white is supposed to be an insult?

Sure, I know plenty of people with less money than me. We both agree it isn't about money, but self pride. If you act like trash, no matter how much money you have, I will stay away.

And as Vrai has said before, stereotypes aren't pulled out of thin air.
Just like you. I haven't said anyting about my money (or lack there of). But you assume that since I have pride, I like certain things, that I must be better off financially than those in the flattops.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Katie, was that your first time at the Suitland station? That area has always been nasty. I remember before they built that station and people actually lived in the apartments next door.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Katie
So why didn't he take time and pick up the trash. Why not organize a community trash pick up day, other communities do it. YOu just need someone to take the inititiave and do it.

ding ding ding! You hit the nail on the head. They SHOULD do that, but they don't. They guy that had his place there kept it pretty decent, but it wasn't there very often so he would arrive to find windows broken, grass messed up, etc. So pride in their area.

K

Katie

Originally posted by Sharon
Katie, was that your first time at the Suitland station? That area has always been nasty. I remember before they built that station and people actually lived in the apartments next door.

Yes it was. When I lived here before I worked in Largo and would take the metro in from Greenbelt.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by SxyPrincess
I have no other choice but to travel Benning Road everyday...:biggrin:

:yeahthat: Sxy and I are sharing a brain today. :biggrin: I started my job in Crystal City but 2 years ago they moved our office to the worst part of SE. No choice but to come to the ghetto.

Pookie

Ghetto Fabulous
Just like you. I haven't said anyting about my money (or lack there of). But you assume that since I have pride, I like certain things, that I must be better off financially than those in the flattops.

ST, I've read your posts and your arrogance and ignorance def. shine through. You have no clue what you're talking about, as you're probably the guy that grabs his wallet everytime you see a black man with cornrows, big gold chains, and baggy pants.

K

Katie

Originally posted by cariblue
I don't know Benning Road, but I know everyone has choices. The key word in the original post was "volunteer". Why on earth would you put yourself in a potentially dangerous situation to do volunteer work?

Ummm...first as I said I had no real clue until after it occured. I won't do it again. I am volunteering helping in the office becasue it is the AIDS ride I am doing and they don't have enough help to do the data entry.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kain99

you're probably the guy that grabs his wallet everytime you see a black man with cornrows, big gold chains, and baggy pants.

I can't believe I'm sticking my big nose into this but be for real!

I'm white and I have to admit that sometimes, especially in the dark, my heart starts to pound like thunder when black men with corn rows, gold chains, and baggy pants are walking behind me in a parking lot.

I've had the same experiences with white men. I don't hate men and I don't hate blacks.

The danger exists and I don't think that makes me a bad person.

Pookie

Ghetto Fabulous
Originally posted by Kain99
I can't believe I'm sticking my big nose into this but be for real!

I'm white and I have to admit that sometimes, especially in the dark, my heart starts to pound like thunder when black men with corn rows, gold chains, and baggy pants are walking behind me in a parking lot.

I've had the same experiences with white men. I don't hate men and I don't hate blacks.

The danger exists and I don't think that makes me a bad person.

Kain, this was directed towards ST. If you read the posts you would know that I'm just making him more aware of HIS ignorance by stereotyping people that he knows nothing about.

BTW - maybe you should stop going out in the dark.:wink:

SmallTown

Football season!
ST, I've read your posts and your arrogance and ignorance def. shine through. You have no clue what you're talking about, as you're probably the guy that grabs his wallet everytime you see a black man with cornrows, big gold chains, and baggy pants.

You must have missed me and pixie's "discussion' about ghetto music.

:roflmao: :roflmao:

SmallTown

Football season!
Kain, this was directed towards ST. If you read the posts you would know that I'm just making him more aware of HIS ignorance by stereotyping people that he knows nothing about.

BTW - maybe you should stop going out in the dark.:wink:

And Kain pointed out your ignorance by you pointing out blacks.

But stereotyping me is just fine? Nice.

Pookie

Ghetto Fabulous
You must have missed me and pixie's "discussion' about ghetto music.

:roflmao: :roflmao:

I guess cuz you MAY know a little about 'ghetto music', you're full of culture now?:bubble: