OPM Hacking attack

PeoplesElbow

Well looks like enough people beat on them that the way they were notifying people was stupid and people are being automatically enrolled into the credit monitoring service.

BOP

http://news.investors.com/ibd-edito...s-weakness-in-obama-cybersecurity-efforts.htm

Obama's 'Cybersecurity Czar' Is MIA As Hackers Run Wild

Privacy: In two weeks, we've learned that offshore hackers managed to steal 100,000 tax filings and personnel data on millions of federal workers. Who, exactly, is in charge of cybersecurity in this administration?

After the Office of Personnel Management revealed the breach of its network, which allowed hackers from China to steal data on 4 million current and former federal employees, OPM head Katherine Archuleta said: "Protecting our federal employee data from malicious cyber incidents is of the highest priority at OPM."

It sure doesn't seem that way.

OPM had been the target of a similar hack originating in China almost exactly one year before, which gained access to some of the office's databases before being caught. And this time around, hackers rooted around OPM's network for four months before being caught.

Less than two weeks before, the IRS revealed that hackers from Russia had stolen data on 100,000 tax returns and filed 13,000 bogus returns to the IRS so they could collect $39 billion in "refunds."

The inspector general had already warned the IRS that its databases were vulnerable, but the IRS failed to act on dozens of recommendations to shore them up.

And not long before that, Russian hackers penetrated parts of the White House computer system after hacking into the State Department's email system.

They weren't MIA; they were too busy hacking and spying on the American people.

BOP

Okay, almost spit Frosty all over my monitor at this comment:

35 I'm gobsmacked that we just let this data get stolen for free right from under our very noses.

The Clinton Foundation could have sold it.

Posted by: Sir Hillary Edmund Rodham Clinton at June 11, 2015 06:54 PM (8ZskC)

SG_Player1974

Meanwhile......

It takes 3 months, mountains of paperwork, several inspections, multiple approvals, and a wishing well just to get a damn laptop with the latest Windows installed to do my job!

And these idiots can't even stop a pimple-faced teenager from stealing stuff!

PeoplesElbow

Meanwhile......

It takes 3 months, mountains of paperwork, several inspections, multiple approvals, and a wishing well just to get a damn laptop with the latest Windows installed to do my job!

And these idiots can't even stop a pimple-faced teenager from stealing stuff!

inspections?

BOP

But wait, folks, there's more! http://news.yahoo.com/union-says-federal-workers-fell-victim-hackers-071851098--politics.html

The Office of Personnel Management, which was the target of the hack, has not officially notified military or intelligence personnel whose security clearance data was breached, but news of the second hack was starting to circulate in both the Pentagon and the CIA.

The officials said they believe the hack into the security clearance database was separate from the breach of federal personnel data announced last week — a breach that is itself appearing far worse than first believed. It could not be learned whether the security database breach happened when an OPM contractor was hacked in 2013, an attack that was discovered last year. Members of Congress received classified briefings about that breach in September, but there was no mention of security clearance information being exposed.

MarieB

Someone I know got a letter today about the breach. He wasn't a government employee. The letter referred to Keypoint Government Solutions, which is a contractor that conducts pre employment credit checks. They referred him to AllClear Secure

BOP

In other news, I was reading through some of the millions of emails I don't get to in the course of a day, when I came across one from our internal security dude, reminding us that using wireless peripherals at work was a serious breach and could lead to (wait for it): unwanted intrusion into our intranet.

I feel safer already.

BOP

It's getting better...and President Stompy Foot is tearing up...blubbering like a baby..

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/357301.php

Apparently, the Won has reached a new height in angry...it seems it's even harshed his mellow.

UPDATE: OBAMA'S ANGER LEVEL RAISED

The White House press office reports that the President's level of feigned anger has been raised from "rootin' tootin' angry" to "####ting dynamite pissed."

acommondisaster

How long before someone spoofs a Chinese IP, and takes out a bunch of credit cards in their own name, charges them up to the limit, and then claims they were a victim of fhe OPM hack?

acommondisaster

What about family members and their ssn's? Saw a security expert on FOX, citing his sources in the govt, yesterday afternoon saying this particular breech has been going on for a year before the govt finally admitted it, and that would enable the hackers to easily permeate all kinds of other layers. He also put out that some 30-40 agencies use OPM record keepers as their primary asset.

Trying to find the report. Found this on yahoo:

https://www.yahoo.com/digest/20150611/union-hackers-personnel-data-federal-employee-10594687

That is scary.

I'm thinking about every SF86 I've filled out since 1976 (whatever forms came before the sf86) and all of the PII found there. Addresses, maiden names, ssn's, siblings, birthdates - heck, there's enough info to answer every secret question needed on a password challenge.

Along those lines, a few years back, I started getting uneasy about everyone asking "mother's maiden name" and I assigned a word unassociated with her maiden name. Mother's maiden name: Cheese Best friend: Cheese Favorite color: Cheese. You get the idea.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Negative, ghost rider. Not unless she looks like Anna Chapman, which a perusal of my SF86 will no doubt reveal.

I'd give her your SSN .... to sit down for lunch

anna chapman.jpg

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I'm thinking about every SF86 I've filled out since 1976 (whatever forms came before the sf86) and all of the PII found there. Addresses, maiden names, ssn's, siblings, birthdates - heck, there's enough info to answer every secret question needed on a password challenge.

Along those lines, a few years back, I started getting uneasy about everyone asking "mother's maiden name" and I assigned a word unassociated with her maiden name. Mother's maiden name: Cheese Best friend: Cheese Favorite color: Cheese. You get the idea.

Heck, yeah. My first security clearance was in 1972, and had them updated until retirement from the reserves in 2004. From what I understand, every file opm has on us has up to 780 individual items concerning self, family, etc.

This crap is bad, real bad. And thanks to the most open, transparent presidency ever, we didn't hear about it until almost a year after it first occurred.:sarcasm: