Osprey are coming!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe'smom

Hey Twilight.....looky who I found today!--It was late so it was difficult to catch a good shot but I know the guy who owns that pier and I am gonna ask him if I can shoot from his front yard. Just walking up she screamed and bolted but quickly came back to the post---I am soooo excited!!! It was an awesome sunset too--but I didn't want to startle her using a flash so I am stuck with what I got but there will be other opportunities!!

Attachments

• IMG_9287.JPG
    IMG_9287.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 73

KurtPreston

Experiment

288584258_FQ3QU-L.jpg

Tried adjusting the background using the PS smudge tool. The backgrounds are not the best when shooting in Solomon's area.

Joe'smom

What a fantastic bird--nice shot!!
For your background ---ever tried some of the noise filter programs?-especially if the shot is cropped--I have found them very useful for some pics.
With that great of a bird shot---the background would not be my focus for sure!

T

TwilightImaging

Kurt nice work...has anyone gotten images of any newbees getting ready for flight yet?

Dead Eye

T.P.F.er
Not around here yet Mike. They are sitting on there Eggs still. Got some from last year but you have seen them allready. I am trying a new idea this year and have three pairs nested so it should be a busy summer in search of the forever elusive perfect print.:doh:

T

TwilightImaging

Not around here yet Mike. They are sitting on there Eggs still. Got some from last year but you have seen them allready. I am trying a new idea this year and have three pairs nested so it should be a busy summer in search of the forever elusive perfect print.:doh:

I am SURE you will get it...the blues and egrets are starting...and these guys have a few weeks and they are flying...it's amazing...just 14 days ago they were 1/2 the size and all white and fuzzy. Yesterday the larger one downed a whole rabbits leg...not the best image...but...
1971_twi.JPG

Joe'smom

Explain to me ----this I shot today---one on the nest the other bringing food and another circling overhead. Is this a community effort or what!? The one flying overhead was the largest of the crew and kept coming in low--checking me out I guess and then calling to the the others. It was awesome to see them interact but made me a little nervous.

Attachments

• IMG_07251_filtered_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_07251_filtered_edited-1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_08261_filtered_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_08261_filtered_edited-1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 63
T

TwilightImaging

Explain to me ----this I shot today---one on the nest the other bringing food and another circling overhead. Is this a community effort or what!? The one flying overhead was the largest of the crew and kept coming in low--checking me out I guess and then calling to the the others. It was awesome to see them interact but made me a little nervous.

Nice!! The first one bringing in the fish, nice capture!! The second cropped...you can get rid of the fringing post processing...
These Osprey are so graceful compared to a lot of raptors...in general I love them all, but Ospreys...sigh!
The larger was most likely the female keeping an eye out. Which camera are you using JM?

Joe'smom

Canon S3-IS--w/raynox 2020pro on a tripod. Yeah what is with the fringe--probably the crappy camera huh?--doesn't happen all the time though---low light usually--but these were in bright sun. Only had the new lense a couple weeks---still playing. Do find it to be "too soft" in definition--but what can you expect for little$$$?

T

TwilightImaging

Canon S3-IS--w/raynox 2020pro on a tripod. Yeah what is with the fringe--probably the crappy camera huh?--doesn't happen all the time though---low light usually--but these were in bright sun. Only had the new lense a couple weeks---still playing. Do find it to be "too soft" in definition--but what can you expect for little$$$?

Actually, I just pulled the specs on dpreview.com...looks like a good camera...I got my mom the fuji equiv' a few years ago. You can, if you shoot off the auto settings set the sharpness...it has 3 levels as well as contrast, saturation, sepia, B&W, etc...
I do like the images though, very nice work!!!! woohoo!! keep shootin'!

Joe'smom

Thanks!---I plan on keeping an eye on this nest--let's just say "I got da bug"!
Spent the other half of yesterday at the state park---talk about wild life--pileated woodpeckers, white cranes, blue herons, beavers, snakes, spiders, and Lady Slipper Orchids--endangered --get caught messing with them--big ole fines! Found at least six on a hillside. Even saw an eagle but didnt get and "worthy"shots off--but I will....I will camp out for that sucker!

T

TwilightImaging

Thanks!---I plan on keeping an eye on this nest--let's just say "I got da bug"!
Spent the other half of yesterday at the state park---talk about wild life--pileated woodpeckers, white cranes, blue herons, beavers, snakes, spiders, and Lady Slipper Orchids--endangered --get caught messing with them--big ole fines! Found at least six on a hillside. Even saw an eagle but didnt get and "worthy"shots off--but I will....I will camp out for that sucker!

Once you start..................................

KurtPreston

The one on the nest is almost certainly the female. One way to confirm that (although it's not 100 percent reliable) is to look for a dark 'necklace' around the neck. Males sometimes have them but it is not as pronounced. By now she is likely to be sitting eggs. Her mate is the one bringing in the fish and nest material. I'm surprised the female on the nest wasn't pew-pewing at the circling osprey trying to warn it off. I've seen the males 'socialize' a bit and seem to cooperative hunt ... 3 or 4 circling together in a pattern over a hunting area.

Glad you got the bug :) I got it hard last year myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.