Osprey are coming!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe'smom

Thanks for the info Kurt---the one bringing in the fish actually flew off with the fish and perched on a pile nearby and kept looking up and calling--the nested bird just turned its head mostly--it seemed very calm. I thought maybe the other bird just sit there and eat the fish but it just sat there on that pileing--as if on guard. Maybe it was my presence that made it uneasy?-I had my son with me and I kept saying SHUT up! dont move--these birds will attack you if they feel threatened! Once we got home and he saw the shots--and their talons....he got my point. :faint:

KurtPreston

Maybe it was my presence that made it uneasy?-I had my son with me and I kept saying SHUT up! dont move--these birds will attack you if they feel threatened! Once we got home and he saw the shots--and their talons....he got my point. :faint:

I've found the males are very skittish around humans and will leave the nest and perch somewhere else (but within eye sight). The male seems to eat the head parts of the fish first before giving the remainder over to the female or young. Now, the females will try to drive you off after eggs have hatched ... until then they stick it out come what may. But I haven't seen a female actualy attack a human yet, they just put up a very noisy bluff.

Dead Eye

T.P.F.er
Kurt has the behavior done pretty well .I agree. The fringing is due to chromatic aberration . Light is bent as it goes thru a lens and different wavelengths of light bend at different angles. Its physics and the only solution is very expensive glass combinations in a lens to cancel the fringing. Or diffractive optics also very expensive. Best to use photoshop

Joe'smom

Ok ....I have Photoshop elements 6---I consider myself "photoshop challenged" --give me a basic rundown --lets see if I can fix it! BTW--Thanks for all the help here folks-it's so disappointing to get a good capture or so you think and then have crappy photos !:doh:

Joe'smom

I've found the males are very skittish around humans and will leave the nest and perch somewhere else (but within eye sight). The male seems to eat the head parts of the fish first before giving the remainder over to the female or young. Now, the females will try to drive you off after eggs have hatched ... until then they stick it out come what may. But I haven't seen a female actualy attack a human yet, they just put up a very noisy bluff.

Wow...very interesting---I was really trying to impress upon a fearless 9 yr old that you don't go messing with birds like this...not that I think he would....he got his mothers love of nature and the outdoors in general, but these birds are in a place capable of human disturbance and I don't even want him pondering the possibility(or any of his buddies he rides bikes with down in the same area)

Dead Eye

T.P.F.er
Hatchling

IMG_0809.jpg

I

Inkpen

That is a great shot DE!!!!!!!!Can see the egg tooth!!!

Sadly, I picked up 3 dead babies in Chesapeake Beach yesterday evening, rescued the dad, but later had to euthanize him, he was so torn up.....and just found out momma is STILL sitting on light pole in Kellhams Field calling....and no one can answer.
The 3 babies I picked up were 2-3 days old...no more than that..and good size too.

So sad....but the little Green Heron I rescued is doing great!!!
Have to go out now and buy minnowes and "bullheads"?.....to feed it.

Were is this baby located?
Thanks for sharing!!!:howdy:

wch

Hi all I'm new to the group. I live in Indian Head and my favorite place to see an Osprey is Myrtle Grove. nesting sight is close to the parking area so pics and binocular views in the evening are favorable. Haven't seen the Bald eagle this year.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

Awww...only a face a mother could love. :lol: Nice shot. :yay:

I noticed a lot more activity in the nests down at St. Inigoes and figured a lot of hatching had gone on. I just wish I could see into the nests but they're up way too high. :ohwell:

Dead Eye

T.P.F.er
That is a great shot DE!!!!!!!!Can see the egg tooth!!!

Sadly, I picked up 3 dead babies in Chesapeake Beach yesterday evening, rescued the dad, but later had to euthanize him, he was so torn up.....and just found out momma is STILL sitting on light pole in Kellhams Field calling....and no one can answer.
The 3 babies I picked up were 2-3 days old...no more than that..and good size too.

So sad....but the little Green Heron I rescued is doing great!!!
Have to go out now and buy minnowes and "bullheads"?.....to feed it.

Were is this baby located?
Thanks for sharing!!!:howdy:

Saint Jeromes Creek in Ridge.

Last edited:

Joe'smom

Wonderful shots!!!!! The chicks expression mirrors the adults!!! Even at such a young age they are on high alert!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.