Otto Warmbierh as died

PsyOps

Pixelated
Like I said.... I already knew where this was gonna go.

So, riddle me this seasoned world traveler. If you are the globe trotting expert that you boast to be then tell me why you are even asking these questions? Being the expert that you are, you SHOULD KNOW BETTER than most about abiding by the host country's rules, laws, and customs.

This guy went to a country where the slightest of mistakes can bring HUGE penalties. He went knowing this and of his own free will, and you.... world traveler, are shocked and appalled when this guy gets treated the way he did.

Were all of those places you mentioned just airport visits?

I never boasted about anything. I don't claim to be anything. You made a false assumption about me, and I corrected you.

Yes, you abide by their laws and rules. I did so. And I have already stated that it was dumb for Warmbier to go to NORK in the first place. He received his sentence. That sentence was not death. I am not the only one calling this a murder. There are people out there that are 10X smarter than I am in world affairs, calling it murder. Warmbier's parents have called it a murder. Are you also going to dispute them?

PsyOps

Pixelated
I suspect he isn't as shocked and appalled as he is angry that supposed human beings could be such savages.

Given human history, I'm not surprised at all at the savagery coming from any despot country. But there does come a point where enough is enough. When Americans start getting dropped off in our country in comas, to ultimately die, this culminated with all of the other international threats North Korea has been casting, the problem needs to be addressed. Simple words of condemnation doesn't work with these people. These people only know one thing - force! Perhaps it's time we use some and show them we're serious about the #### they've shoveling in our direction.

Hijinx

How about a couple of MOABs on their nuke sites?

If you are going to make a statement and start a war do it right. Wait until their next big parade where all of the leaders are there and half their Army is marching and then drop it.

Restitution

I never boasted about anything. I don't claim to be anything. You made a false assumption about me, and I corrected you.

I never made a false assumption of you. I think it was spot on from the moment I said " I am sure I know how this is gonna go..."

I 100% knew that you would answer that you were a globe trotting wiseman. I knew you would regardless if you were or were not. It is just a feeling I had based on your postings here. No one here likes to admit when they are wrong or are taking a wrong stance. Fight 'till the end and when you are up against odds... back pedal, strawman, or just disappear.

With the statement above it looks to be back pedal. You took a strong stance on Otto's treatment at the hands of the NKs. Others (including me) debate that he should have known better and you still dug in and tried to fight it. It's cool that you have your strong opinion but, the bottom line is that the US isn't going to start an international incident because some guy broke laws in a foreign country and ended up paying for it severely. :shrug:

This_person

If it is soooooo complicated, then tell me why just about every other country on the planet has ZERO problem doing it?

And YES, if it takes pulling out of NATO to let someone else (or many others) to tow the line then so be it.

Very few countries do nothing, say nothing, or are completely isolated. Virtually no other country has the resources we do, and virtually every other western country looks to us for leadership.

Because it is not reported on our media does not mean no one else is doing anything.

Restitution

Very few countries do nothing, say nothing, or are completely isolated. Virtually no other country has the resources we do, and virtually every other western country looks to us for leadership.

Because it is not reported on our media does not mean no one else is doing anything.

#1 If no other country has the resources that we do then maybe they should get together and pool their resources. Time for the good 'ole US taxpayer to get a break from funding every other country's crisis management.

#2 I have 2 jobs. I do not have the time to scour endless websites, newspapers, etc. to see what Botswana has done to help with ISIS. You may have the time but I do not. Either way, there is no disputing that the US has foot the bill for far too long.

This_person

#1 If no other country has the resources that we do then maybe they should get together and pool their resources. Time for the good 'ole US taxpayer to get a break from funding every other country's crisis management.

#2 I have 2 jobs. I do not have the time to scour endless websites, newspapers, etc. to see what Botswana has done to help with ISIS. You may have the time but I do not. Either way, there is no disputing that the US has foot the bill for far too long.

I don't do that either, I'm just aware that the rest of the world does not sit at home oblivious to the world's problems and they do nothing. Do we foot a disproportionate share of the bill for helping out? Of course, both in government/taxpayer funds and in private/voluntarily-given funds. If we are going to be a world leader in stuff, that's not bad stuff. Especially if, as a result, our country is safer because there is less strife in the world. Argue about wars all you want, but we are in the least violent period of history ever recorded, and I'm ok with that.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I 100% knew that you would answer that you were a globe trotting wiseman. I knew you would regardless if you were or were not. It is just a feeling I had based on your postings here. No one here likes to admit when they are wrong or are taking a wrong stance. Fight 'till the end and when you are up against odds... back pedal, strawman, or just disappear.

With the statement above it looks to be back pedal. You took a strong stance on Otto's treatment at the hands of the NKs. Others (including me) debate that he should have known better and you still dug in and tried to fight it. It's cool that you have your strong opinion but, the bottom line is that the US isn't going to start an international incident because some guy broke laws in a foreign country and ended up paying for it severely. :shrug:

Whatever dude. I don't give a damn if you believe me. I have nothing to prove to you. You assumed and I corrected you. There are plenty of folks on here that know me well enough to know I'm not lying about my experiences.

It's fine to have a differing opinion about things, but when you start calling me a liar, and getting all personal, when you don't even know me is just poor form. I'd say try not to make a fool of yourself, but it's too late.

Restitution

Whatever dude. I don't give a damn if you believe me. I have nothing to prove to you. You assumed and I corrected you. There are plenty of folks on here that know me well enough to know I'm not lying about my experiences.

It's fine to have a differing opinion about things, but when you start calling me a liar, and getting all personal, when you don't even know me is just poor form. I'd say try not to make a fool of yourself, but it's too late.

Dude....

You came out here calling for WW3 because some guy decided to break the law in a country where they don't tolerate ANYTHING! I called you out on it and now you are all butt hurt. That sums it up in a nutshell.

And... if you didn't see the international travel comment as sarcasm..... especially after the "only been to the airports" comment, then you need to relax and widdle some wood or something because you are wound up WAYYYY too tight!

Restitution

I don't do that either, I'm just aware that the rest of the world does not sit at home oblivious to the world's problems and they do nothing. Do we foot a disproportionate share of the bill for helping out? Of course, both in government/taxpayer funds and in private/voluntarily-given funds. If we are going to be a world leader in stuff, that's not bad stuff. Especially if, as a result, our country is safer because there is less strife in the world. Argue about wars all you want, but we are in the least violent period of history ever recorded, and I'm ok with that.

So are you saying here, that EVERY country on the planet gets involved in world affairs? I would disagree with that statement. Every event in the world is not handled by or involves every nation on the planet.

My point and position still stands. It is time for others to pony up and handle the policing for a while.

This_person

So are you saying here, that EVERY country on the planet gets involved in world affairs? I would disagree with that statement. Every event in the world is not handled by or involves every nation on the planet.

It's a long jump from "other people get involved" to "everyone gets involved every time." We don't get involved every time. When secularists in Iran tried to overthrow the government and create a democracy, for example, we sat back and (seemingly) hoped they'd lose, which they did. We did nothing.

Others sometimes do stuff, sometimes do not. We sometimes do stuff, sometimes do not.

My point and position still stands. It is time for others to pony up and handle the policing for a while.

Or, maybe we could do it as a group. We could join treaties, and live up to those treaties, and house an international organization designed to help nations resolve their disputes, and for coalitions of nations to help defeat those who try to do bad things....Maybe? :shrug:

Restitution

Or, maybe we could do it as a group. We could join treaties, and live up to those treaties, and house an international organization designed to help nations resolve their disputes, and for coalitions of nations to help defeat those who try to do bad things....Maybe? :shrug:

The problem with this scenario is that it will turn out just like it does now. Everyone else talks a big game and "stands behind the USA" while we write the checks and send the troops. Its never a "coalition of nations."

It's the USA and everyone else

This_person

The problem with this scenario is that it will turn out just like it does now. Everyone else talks a big game and "stands behind the USA" while we write the checks and send the troops. Its never a "coalition of nations."

It's the USA and everyone else

As I say, I agree we do the lion's share. If we're going to lead on something, I'd rather lead on helping rather than hurting.

By the way, what I wrote IS the way it is now. I was speaking of NATO (treaties), UN (international organization), and the many coalitions that have been fighting terrorists.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Dude....

You came out here calling for WW3 because some guy decided to break the law in a country where they don't tolerate ANYTHING! I called you out on it and now you are all butt hurt. That sums it up in a nutshell.

And... if you didn't see the international travel comment as sarcasm..... especially after the "only been to the airports" comment, then you need to relax and widdle some wood or something because you are wound up WAYYYY too tight!

I have my position on this. Whether my butt is hurt by anything you posted is irrelevant. My position is, that I believe it's gotten to the point with NORK that it deserves some sort of military response to send them a clear message that we've had enough. It's not much different than the bully that won't leave the kid alone, and finally the kid had enough and knocks the bully on his ass. Didn't kill the bully. Didn't nuke the bully. Just sent a clear message that he had enough. And the bully leaves him alone. Problem solved. I know most of you want to wait until a nuke hits California to justify a response. I'm a proactive guy. There comes a point where we've reached our limit. I think we're there.

Leave the stupid personal #### out of it. Stopping making a damn fool of yourself.