pit bulls/rottweilers

libby

Just remember there are good and bad in all breeds and all races of people. Your fear is your fear, only you can make the judgement of whether your fear is correctly placed or not. It really comes down to the owner and how the animal is socialized or treated. I have had a Rottie in the past and he was a gentle loving dog, I have been chased by a pack of nasty Chihuahua's in my youth. Just as another reminder that it is the people and not the breed - do you remember the story of the French woman that had her face chewed off by her dog. If not her dog was a Labrador Retriever, how many vicious Labs have you run across?

For the most part, agreed. The question I have is really more about the fact that there is no way for me (at the park with my kids) to know if you (at the park with your Rottie) is one of the good guys or not.
It just seems a little thoughtless to me that owners of such dogs would bring them to a place loaded with kids, making nervous wrecks out of the parents. (fully recognizing my own shortcomings as an arguably hyper parent).

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
For the most part, agreed. The question I have is really more about the fact that there is no way for me (at the park with my kids) to know if you (at the park with your Rottie) is one of the good guys or not.
It just seems a little thoughtless to me that owners of such dogs would bring them to a place loaded with kids, making nervous wrecks out of the parents. (fully recognizing my own shortcomings as an arguably hyper parent).

What about bee stings? Snot on the swings? Pinworms in the sand at the playground? Cheeseburgers at McD's (e-coli) :jameo:

UncleBacon

and that's why people need to educate themselves about the dogs...not just the bad but the good as well

Cowgirl

Dogs are generally more well-behaved when socialized with other people and animals.

OP wants them to be shut-ins. :doh:

Mojo

There are probably way more psycho's, rapists and murderers walking around in public places than there are dogs that will attack you.

UncleBacon

The most horrifying example of the lack of breed predictability is the October 2000 death of a 6-week-old baby, which was killed by her family's Pomeranian dog. The average weight of a Pomeranian is about 4 pounds, and they are not thought of as a dangerous breed. Note, however, that they were bred to be watchdogs! The baby's uncle left the infant and the dog on a bed while the uncle prepared her bottle in the kitchen. Upon his return, the dog was mauling the baby, who died shortly afterwards. ("Baby Girl Killed by Family Dog," Los Angeles Times, Monday, October 9, 2000, Home Edition, Metro Section, Page B-5.)

In Canine homicides and the dog bite epidemic: do not confuse them, it has been pointed out that the dog bite epidemic as a whole involves all dogs and all dog owners, not just the breeds most likely to kill.

In all fairness, therefore, it must be noted that:

Any dog, treated harshly or trained to attack, may bite a person. Any dog can be turned into a dangerous dog. The owner or handler most often is responsible for making a dog into something dangerous.
An irresponsible owner or dog handler might create a situation that places another person in danger by a dog, without the dog itself being dangerous, as in the case of the Pomeranian that killed the infant (see above).
Any individual dog may be a good, loving pet, even though its breed is considered to be potentially dangerous. A responsible owner can win the love and respect of a dog, no matter its breed. One cannot look at an individual dog, recognize its breed, and then state whether or not it is going to attack.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I've had bad experiences with pitbulls and I'm afraid of them. It's my opinion they are not to be trusted.

I don't care if people bring their pitbull to a public place, I only ask that you keep your dog under control on a leash and give me my personal space. No, I don't want you bringing your dog up in my grill to convince me it's so sweet. No I don't want your dog near my children or pets, and no I don't want your dog on my property.

I'll avoid your dog, and your dog can avoid me and I'm very content with that. To each their own. Respect me, and I'll respect you.

Very well said!

I know what SoMdGirl has been thru and I understand. With that said I do know several nice pits - do not have a problem with them. But I will not force them on anyone.... they sure are NOT my breed of choice and really dont have any use for them. Sorry - To each their own.
But at the same time each breed can do the same thing.... god forbid if someone breaks into my house.... after what I saw the other night - there is no doubt in my mind that my one dog will attack someone who BREAKS INTO my house. This is what his is being trained for and it is important that his temperament before starting training was solid. So to this day his temperament is solid a very stable and he is social dog. He does go out in public and to the dog parks on a regular basis and is a true joy to be with. He is the dog at the park the goes to check everyone else out and lean up on them to say hello and then comes back to check in with mom.

libby

Dogs are generally more well-behaved when socialized with other people and animals.

OP wants them to be shut-ins. :doh:

I'm gonna say something I've never said in any forum anywhere. WTF?? I never said I wanted them to be shut ins, and from my first post I have made it clear that the problem could very well be my own. All I want is opinions.
Sheeesh!

Beta84

They're out to get us
If I see people bring any dog to a public place my first instinct is they are probably ok around people. I will still watch them, though, with the degree of watchfulness being relative to the size or type of dog and the way they act, also on the way their owner acts.
People are stupid, I've seen plenty of dogs in public places, unleashed, that will go crazy. People bring their dogs to the dog park, take them off leashes, and then they go around harassing and attacking other dogs. Dog owners should have to pass a common sense course, because a bunch of them are inept.

Just remember there are good and bad in all breeds and all races of people. Your fear is your fear, only you can make the judgement of whether your fear is correctly placed or not. It really comes down to the owner and how the animal is socialized or treated. I have had a Rottie in the past and he was a gentle loving dog, I have been chased by a pack of nasty Chihuahua's in my youth. Just as another reminder that it is the people and not the breed - do you remember the story of the French woman that had her face chewed off by her dog. If not her dog was a Labrador Retriever, how many vicious Labs have you run across?

I've never met a mean lab! They are wonderful.

There are a bunch of ####### breeds. Chihuahuas are among the worst. I guess Pits and Rots get the worst rep since they have the strength to do something with their attitudes, while most people could just punt one of those other stupid mutts.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!

Unfortunately unless the owner shows up with thier own kid that crawls all over the dog to prove that they are gentle you will never really know. I know that people need to be more respectful of others. My current Lab is a sweetheart but he is very vocal. If people do not know that about him they see him as mean. He sounds terrible when playing with me or other dogs but he has never harmed anything. It is because of this I do not take him to dog parks. Around women and children he is a killer, he will lick these people to death. The neighbors childen all love to play and wrestle with him as he will play tug-o-war and then just lay there to let them crawl all over him. You have reasons to be hyperor nervous, that is a sign of being a good parent in my opinion.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
The most horrifying example of the lack of breed predictability is the October 2000 death of a 6-week-old baby, which was killed by her family's Pomeranian dog. The average weight of a Pomeranian is about 4 pounds, and they are not thought of as a dangerous breed. Note, however, that they were bred to be watchdogs! The baby's uncle left the infant and the dog on a bed while the uncle prepared her bottle in the kitchen. Upon his return, the dog was mauling the baby, who died shortly afterwards. ("Baby Girl Killed by Family Dog," Los Angeles Times, Monday, October 9, 2000, Home Edition, Metro Section, Page B-5.)

In Canine homicides and the dog bite epidemic: do not confuse them, it has been pointed out that the dog bite epidemic as a whole involves all dogs and all dog owners, not just the breeds most likely to kill.

In all fairness, therefore, it must be noted that:

Any dog, treated harshly or trained to attack, may bite a person. Any dog can be turned into a dangerous dog. The owner or handler most often is responsible for making a dog into something dangerous.
An irresponsible owner or dog handler might create a situation that places another person in danger by a dog, without the dog itself being dangerous, as in the case of the Pomeranian that killed the infant (see above).
Any individual dog may be a good, loving pet, even though its breed is considered to be potentially dangerous. A responsible owner can win the love and respect of a dog, no matter its breed. One cannot look at an individual dog, recognize its breed, and then state whether or not it is going to attack.

Very well stated!

mgdbaa

As a breed I think these dogs are more vicious than other dogs, but I know that is debated by people who love them. However, people who love and own these dogs are probably aware of how uncomfortable the dogs make others. Does it seem irresponsible or thoughtless to anyone else that these dogs can be found at parks among hundreds of kids?
This week at Lancaster two pits were being walked all around, making me very nervous for my children. Then at Ryken's football practice, I see this horse of a Rottweiler! Freaked me out!
So, am I terrible for being angry that the owners would bring these animals, who strike fear in the hearts of many, to places teeming with children?

Set me straight!
Well my opinion is any dog can be trained to be visious. Not just a pitbull. I think the problem is the stupid people who get pitbulls for the wrong reasons have made to many people racist towards the pitbull. Last November, we bought a puppy from a coulple in the ranch club who advertised the litter as AB's. Well 9 months later when our puppy didn't get big like he should have, we researched it and have determine that our puppy is mixed with pitbull. I spoil our puppy as if he were human. He is more afraid of his own shadow. He loves to cuddle, play frissbee, he listens very well. He runs and hides in his cage if there are too many people walking around the house. When we walk him, he wants to play with everyone in site. He earns his treats and does lots of tricks that we tought him. We didn't teach him to be an attacker. Hes just a momma and daddys boy. I love him so much and he knows it.

mgdbaa

Not sure. I have a 3 year old Rottweiler. Wouldn't hurt a fly but I understand they have a bad stereotype about them. I see why people can be a certain way because if I see pit bull’s I tend to take a step back as well. We take him [and our Great Dane] down to the beach and people look for that reassurance from me that Moose (the Rot) is not going to take them and run off into the woods. Once they realize he is a big baby, they warm right up.
Hey my puppys name is Moose also.

UncleBacon

Very well stated!

I can't take credit....google :lmao:

There are many types of aggression among dogs. Classes of aggression include the following (Borchelt, P.L. and Voith, V.L. 1982. "Classification of Animal Behavior Problems," Vet. Clin. North Am. Small Anim. Pract. 12:571-585):

Dominance aggression: aggressive behavior usually directed to family members who take something from the dog, pet it, hold it, pick it up, or disturb it while it is resting.
Defensive or fear aggression: directed to family or strangers who approach too quickly or too closely when the dog is afraid.
Protective/territorial aggression: directed to strangers to approach the owner or the home of the owner.
Predatory aggression: directed to small, quickly moving animals and children, especially where more than one dog is involved.
Pain-elicited aggression: directed to family or strangers who approach or touch when the dog is in pain or injured.
Punishment-elicited aggression: directed to family or strangers who hit, kick or verbally assault the dog.
Redirected aggression: directed to family, strangers and animals who approach or touch the dog when it is aggressive in another context

poster

and what did he do to provoke them....dogs don't just attack someone to attack them...I'm sure there is a lot more behind the story

While I'll agree that "usually" a dog must be provoked, it's not always the case.

Had neighbors with pitts that were very friendly and social, had a large high fenced yard, they jumped fence and ran the neighborhood for the day. They (unprovoked) killed livestock (goats), a chained up puppy and attacked our dog in our yard (didn't kill her) before they were caught. This was a male, female and a puppy. They were all feed well, treated well and acted just like anyother normal happy/friendly dog till that moment.

I will never trust another pitt.

My suggestion to you is to research what parks you decide to go to. If it truely bothers you then only go to those areas that dogs are not permitted. Otherwise it's a public place and you just need to keep an open eye.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
and what did he do to provoke them....dogs don't just attack someone to attack them...I'm sure there is a lot more behind the story

It is looking like he didnt do anything to "provoke" them. The two dogs where fighting and thru the investigation it is looking that he was trying to break the fight up and they did turn on him. The dogs were PTS yesterday so they could retrieve the dental impressions from them for the investigation.

That is where it stands now.

so sad all the way around.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
People are stupid, I've seen plenty of dogs in public places, unleashed, that will go crazy. People bring their dogs to the dog park, take them off leashes, and then they go around harassing and attacking other dogs. Dog owners should have to pass a common sense course, because a bunch of them are inept.

I've never met a mean lab! They are wonderful.

There are a bunch of ####### breeds. Chihuahuas are among the worst. I guess Pits and Rots get the worst rep since they have the strength to do something with their attitudes, while most people could just punt one of those other stupid mutts.

Pits and Rots are/were good breeds as long as they have been bred responsibly. Unfortunately human greed has interbred and watered down bloodlines to the point of inbreeding. The issue that i have with un-ethical people is that they ruin things for responsible people and create situations that could have been avoided if the simple removal of the certain people from the gene pool were allowed!

:killingme

Hey my puppys name is Moose also.

What a coincidence, my pet Moose's name is "Puppy"!

:lol:

UncleBacon

those are the most common reasons dogs bite...a lot of dog bites that are reported are just the dog doing a little nip that wont even break the skin...they don't have hands so they have to use their mouth so people confuse this with a dog bite....if a dog bites you and means to bite you they're going to break skin