Police Car at Carwash

sommpd

It was an honest question. Hey, I don't know what police officers are allowed to do. It just seemed weird to me that two officers in uniform were out getting thier car washed. I don't know when thier shifts start/end.
There are several localities (apparantly St Mary's is not one of them) that are beginning to restrict officers from taking thier vehicles home to cut costs, so I just assumed that the officers in front of me were on duty, they were in uniform.

A lot of people don't realize the benefit of having the officers have a take home car. It really does save the taxpayers money in that there are so so many time where the officer responding to a call for service is actually and "off duty" officer who is working a secondary job at a business such as Sheetz or some other place in the park. These officers don't put in for overtime when they respond, and they allow the on duty officers to continue with the work they were doing.

Unfortunately in these tough economic times, crime often tends to increase. I think it irresponsible for a police department to futher endanger citizens by restricting the amount of "free" labor they have in officers on the street.

It is a program which first, is part of police officers hiring package, part of the fringe, then secondly, it works for both the officer and the citizenry.

I hope I answered your question.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
I have a state vehicle that I use during the day..I drive my personal vehicle to & from picking up the state vehicle...I go on a lot of new construction jobs that are muddy and go in some back roads that aren't very nice either...I take the state vehicle to Cheseldines often and the agency I work for pays to have it washed...We have an account there...They encourage it..IMHO it makes the agency look bad to have junkie looking vehicles...We have the agency name on the sides of the vehicles...

thurley42

HY;FR
Having car troubles one afternoon while on the way to the dog park with my two pretty big dogs in the car, the deputy helping me ended up taking us home once the AAA towtruck finally made it.

I was surprised to see that the interior in the back was all hard plastic. Although my girls are trained, I thought I was going to have a close call - potty wise. Also, they're quite furry. I asked reasonably if the interior was plastic due to it being a k-9 carrier.

Apparently, folks get all kinds of bodily fluids inside, outside, tires, themselves, etc... So, not only do they have to wash the outside of the vehicle with frequency, they also have to scrub the inside too.

Thankless job at times, I think. :ohwell:

And there you have it...

yeah those things would suck!

I was out in god awful Blythe California once, and came up on 3 women trying to push a car up an exit ramp....we got out and started to push it for them when a CHP pulled up and said he'd push them with his bumper and to hop in....

I said...can i ride in back?

he was like ughhhh sure?

that was the most uncomfortable 3 minutes of my car riding life...i couldn't imagine being cuffed in that thing...

bad1032

Sometimes they give it to us but MOST of the time WE pay ourselves, and as far as washing it when off, well if were in the vehicle and a call is near guess what we will be there to save your complaining butt, so 3 minutes at a car wash every month isnt going to effect the countless hours we give for free so shut the .... up and get a life.:smack: yes I am a cop. ::

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Sometimes they give it to us but MOST of the time WE pay ourselves, and as far as washing it when off, well if were in the vehicle and a call is near guess what we will be there to save your complaining butt, so 3 minutes at a car wash every month isnt going to effect the countless hours we give for free so shut the .... up and get a life.:smack: yes I am a cop. ::

Is your screen name translated to bad man with gun then?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

:lol:

mAlice

professional daydreamer

Perhaps you should remember who you work for.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
IMO nothing wrong with hauling bad guys to jail in a clean car, or would you prefer we lower our standard and have our public servants drive around in grungy, dirty police vehicles, full of dents like I saw on my recent trips to Chicago, NY, and Phili...

Nothing wrong with investing in a professional looking public service vehicle and in my opinion based on the user name of the original poster, Hawkeyewife, is your husband in the military? If so ask him how much tax payer dollars go into cleaning military equipment especially aircraft. In the military cleanliness is everything but you demand less from the public service that is sworn to serve and protect you. Do me a favor, find a hobby, you suck at nitpicking!!! :coffee:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
IMO nothing wrong with hauling bad guys to jail in a clean car, or would you prefer we lower our standard and have our public servants drive around in grungy, dirty police vehicles, full of dents like I saw on my recent trips to Chicago, NY, and Phili...

Nothing wrong with investing in a professional looking public service vehicle and in my opinion based on the user name of the original poster, Hawkeyewife, is your husband in the military? If so ask him how much tax payer dollars go into cleaning military equipment especially aircraft. In the military cleanliness is everything but you demand less from the public service that is sworn to serve and protect you. Do me a favor, find a hobby, you suck at nitpicking!!! :coffee:

The difference is, as a rule, the military doesn't drive the vehicle on their own time.

Cowgirl

They should wash the car when they're not on the clock. They do, after all, use the car when they're off the clock.

Did you miss the post where I agree with Baja? I said originally that I don't see anything wrong with them washing it with with tax $, but I didn't realize that every single cop drives their patrol car home. Some cops around here don't drive their cars home.

chernmax

The difference is, as a rule, the military doesn't drive the vehicle on their own time.

Yes but by military standards they must be equally clean, what's wrong with our public service vehicles being clean and professional looking. So your more offended by a $10 dollar car wash verse the department having to hire someone to clean the cars for the officers when back at the station. When I was in the military and working as a Military Police Officer, PWC cleaned our cars with civilian employees, who do you think in taxpayer dollars is paying more???

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Yes but by military standards they must be equally clean, what's wrong with our public service vehicles being clean and professional looking. So your more offended by a $10 dollar car wash verse the department having to hire someone to clean the cars for the officers when back at the station. When I was in the military and working as a Military Police Officer, PWC cleaned our cars with civilian employees, who do you think in taxpayer dollars is paying more???

What part of this are you not understanding? If the officer is permitted to use the vehicle on his own time, why can't he clean it on his own time, and his own dime?

If he leaves the car when he clocks out at the end of the day, I'm all for footin' the bill with my tax dollars.

chernmax

What you whinners should be starting post about are why you're not outraged during these economic bad times and high gas prices why Governor O'Malley raised state taxes, why is our state rated one of the highest in the nation in tax burden on the average citizen, why did the county commissioners raise property taxes by $14 million dollars, why are almost 2/3rd of the Southern Maryland county tax dollars going to Howard, Montgomery, Baltimore, and PG counties, why did they allow the city counsel to purchase a $125,000 dollar portable stage so the talking heads can stand higher to talk down to you. Sorry not trying to be an ass but some of your focus is in the wrong direction!!! :coffee:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
What you whinners should be starting post about are why you're not outraged during these economic bad times and high gas prices why Governor O'Malley raised state taxes, why is our state rated one of the highest in the nation in tax burden on the average citizen, why did the county commissioners raise property taxes by $14 million dollars, why are almost 2/3rd of the Southern Maryland county tax dollars going to Howard, Montgomery, Baltimore, and PG counties, why did they allow the city counsel to purchase a $125,000 dollar portable stage so the talking heads can stand higher to talk down to you. Sorry not trying to be an ass but some of your focus is in the wrong direction!!! :coffee:
Oh, for cryin' out loud. Stay on topic.

chernmax

What part of this are you not understanding? If the officer is permitted to use the vehicle on his own time, why can't he clean it on his own time, and his own dime?

If he leaves the car when he clocks out at the end of the day, I'm all for footin' the bill with my tax dollars.

Because you assume that since he was once seen at a car wash that is what he does on a normal basis, I wash my car (and my wife's) on my own time as well but when we have days of bad weather, my wife front loads me with tons of do it myself projects, or I have a high work load at work and get home exhausted, you may see my lazy ass that week at a car wash. What part of life are you not understanding??? Last, what is your proof he didn't pay for it out of his own pocket, if you cannot, shut your blowhole!!!

Last edited:

foodcritic

Officers (state and county) do clean their cars off duty most of the time

Officers, once in a while, clean their cars on duty. This can be difficult due to the HIGH volume of calls. There is noting wrong with that.

Officer pay out of pocket to get their car washed.

Officers cars get inspected for cleanliness.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Because it's a perk, like most employees enjoy in one form or another. When I worked at Ch 10, I got free cable. :shrug:

Now, I'm curious though: I know cops sometimes take their vehicles home, but do they use it for every day and treat it like a personal car? Day off, and they fire up the patrol car to run to Lowes or something? Because I've never seen this.

My former cop fiancee used to take his car home, but he never used it personal stuff, that I recall.