PSA for Rte 235 drivers!!!!

MMDad

Lem Putt
Once you're around the corner you're occupying the lane and have the right of way.

I look for right turn signals on the thru lanes when turning right onto 235, if I don't see one I make the turn. If not, you'll sit there forever.

(d) Approaching intersection marked by yield sign. -- If a "yield" sign facing the driver of a vehicle is placed on the approach to an intersection, the driver shall:

(1) Approach the intersection with caution;

(2) Yield the right-of-way to any other vehicle approaching on the other highway; and

(3) If necessary, stop in order to yield this right-of-way.

Any other vehicle approaching on the other highway has the right of way. Ignoring the yield sign and coming around the corner does not grant you right of way. If it did, there would be no reason to even have a yield sign.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
You're turning right into the right lane (as required by law)
The lane starts there so there is nobody in that lane when you're at the yield sign.
Who would you yield to unless there is someone signaling a turn into the lane?

... and some of the right turns onto 235 don't have yield signs

softtouch

Right turn on red after stop also means yield. The yield sign is a redundant reminder.
I can understand people turning from south bound 4 not expecting anyone to be in that right turn lane.
I also understand the temptation to use the turn lane for a merge lane.

BOP

It happens everywhere. I see all the time in Waldorf on 301, except they don't pull in prior to the light, they go right on through! You think you can turn right into a business and all the sudden there is a car barreling down the turn lane and they honk the horn at you for getting in their way. :smack:

So that's what that means! Good to know. I always thought it meant "slam on your brakes now," so I do.

It's entertaining, I'll tell you that.

:buddies:

thurley42

HY;FR
Right turn on red after stop also means yield. The yield sign is a redundant reminder.
I can understand people turning from south bound 4 not expecting anyone to be in that right turn lane.

It's not a temptation, you aren't supposed to pull into traffic from a dead stop. Pull into the lane, speed up and merge like normal people.

BOP

You know that you have the yield sign there, don't you?

When I lived in Texas, we called them "Yelled" signs. As in: "That dumb sumbitch stopped at the bottom of the on-ramp to the freeway, so I yelled at him."

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Only if they don't freakin' look at what's going on around them. Do you people just stare straight ahead and only look at the car directly in front of you?

It is a merge lane :smack:
Look, speed up and then merge over. You just turned right... you're supposed to be in the rightmost lane

corollinout

Oh I get off in the deceleration lane so that I do not have to slam on my brakes, but I do not get in a turn lane 3 miles before the turn and try passing people. Nor do I put myself in a situation where there are dozens of places to turn right while in the turn lane. I get over when I am supposed to. I have never been in or caused an accident. I'm sorry that I obey the traffic laws and don't use the turn lane for more than I should. If I am getting on 4 from 235 I get over about 1/4 mile before the lane, not back at the Walmart lights. Same with H.G. Truman. People use that turn lane from Rousby Hall all the way to the gate for the Ranch Club, there is a right at Fastop, at the bank, Foodlion shopping center, and to go behind that shopping center, after the entrance to get behind the shopping center is when I get over to turn. I don't put myself in stupid situations and maybe I worded my previous comment wrong. I hate that fact that I follow what should be done with those turn lanes, and someone flys up beside me so I cannot get over to make my turn.

I'm also not going to follow suit so someone in front of me slow down to make the turn like they are supposed to and risk hitting them or getting cut off trying to drive down a turn lane. It's called a turn lane for a reason, not a travel lane.

Blister

I never realized how lucky I am that I only have to saunter up Rt. 5 to the Beltway, to the Toll Road to Ashburn, Va. everyday. Sounds like everyone on here has an extremely dangerous, and frustrating 15 mile commute. Makes my 85 miles seem like a picnic.

Just to let you know Va. drivers as bad as any you will find in SOMD.

MMDad

Lem Putt
You're turning right into the right lane (as required by law)
The lane starts there so there is nobody in that lane when you're at the yield sign.
Who would you yield to unless there is someone signaling a turn into the lane?

... and some of the right turns onto 235 don't have yield signs

He's talking about not yielding to those coming off Rt. 4 South to 235 South. They are in a turn lane, turning left. As soon as they straighten out they can turn on their right turn signal, but by that time dumbass is already in the way since he didn't yield.

Do you think that he shouldn't be yielding to those who clearly have the right of way? Why even have a yield sign if you are not supposed to yield? Is it just a pretty decoration? Think they had a few sitting around the shop and said "let's just put these up somewhere?"

glhs837

Power with Control
I never realized how lucky I am that I only have to saunter up Rt. 5 to the Beltway, to the Toll Road to Ashburn, Va. everyday. Sounds like everyone on here has an extremely dangerous, and frustrating 15 mile commute. Makes my 85 miles seem like a picnic.

Just to let you know Va. drivers as bad as any you will find in SOMD.

I love my 7 mile, 8 minute commute:) One light, park 20 feet from my desK

SoMdDude

I HAVE AN IDEA!

Instead of arguing about it in this thread... some of you go get in accident together at said intersections and roads, wait for the cop to come, and let him/her tell you who is right or wrong lol

mamatutu

mama to two
I HAVE AN IDEA!

Instead of arguing about it in this thread... some of you go get in accident together at said intersections and roads, wait for the cop to come, and let him/her tell you who is right or wrong lol

I like how you think. I have never gotten a traffic ticket in my 40 years of driving. I let the #######s have the road, and stay back no matter how mad they make me, and I have been involved in one accident years ago that wasn't my fault. The point is just let the #######s cut in, drive in the turn lanes, etc. etc. etc. Stay out of their way, you will live, and they will, eventually, die; due to their discourteous driving; just don't let it be you. I will not allow idiot drivers to kill me. Put in your fave cd, relax, and enjoy the drive. It is not the chariot races, or roller derby in cars. It is just a moment in time that the stupid drivers may aggravate you. Let it go; no pun intended. Drive safely. :smile:

Last edited:

molly_21

Oh I get off in the deceleration lane so that I do not have to slam on my brakes, but I do not get in a turn lane 3 miles before the turn and try passing people. Nor do I put myself in a situation where there are dozens of places to turn right while in the turn lane. I get over when I am supposed to. I have never been in or caused an accident. I'm sorry that I obey the traffic laws and don't use the turn lane for more than I should. If I am getting on 4 from 235 I get over about 1/4 mile before the lane, not back at the Walmart lights. Same with H.G. Truman. People use that turn lane from Rousby Hall all the way to the gate for the Ranch Club, there is a right at Fastop, at the bank, Foodlion shopping center, and to go behind that shopping center, after the entrance to get behind the shopping center is when I get over to turn. don't put myself in stupid situations and maybe I worded my previous comment wrong. I hate that fact that I follow what should be done with those turn lanes, and someone flys up beside me so I cannot get over to make my turn.

I'm also not going to follow suit so someone in front of me slow down to make the turn like they are supposed to and risk hitting them or getting cut off trying to drive down a turn lane. It's called a turn lane for a reason, not a travel lane.

They really need to extend that brick triangle thing in that Food Lion complex, like they have in front of CVS/Kohls on 235. Too many people do use that lane as an extra lane and go 65/70 mph assuming people are not going to be turning into the complex. If they put something there to reenforce the right turn into Food Lion complex, hopefully a few alignments later when they run over the top of the thing like I saw people do in front of CVS/Kohl's right lane only lane, people will get a clue.

warneckutz

This thread is :lol:

Carry a few items worthy of tossing at a car (glass bottle, water jug, half-eaten apple, tire iron, car seat, annoying passenger, spoiled crabcake - hopefully that was not kept in the vehicle but instead saved for this journey, etc...) ... wait for them as they're flying up the right turn lane... with some practice you too can cause vehicular damage to the ####### using the right turn lane to geat ahead of traffic.