[Rant] Every Day...

bilbur

Actually, it sounds like you don't understand the concept of tailgating and aggressive driving. If you are following so closely that a car cannot fit between you and the vehicle in front of you, then you are tailgating. If the cop sees you taking action to prevent a lawful merge you could be facing aggressive, negligent, or reckless driving charges. If an accident happens, you could be at fault.

A merge implies that vehicles in both lanes will take action to make the merge happen safely. Being in the center lane first does not grant you unlimited ownership of that lane. If the person in the right lane is following a sign that directs them to merge, they attempt to do so appriopriately including signalling, and you block them then you are in the wrong.

I found a link for you so you can bone up on your merging knowledge. This is a direct Quote "It is your responsibility to merge into traffic. The traffic already on the highway has the right of way. You must adjust your speed accordingly and merge safely!"

SG_Player1974

WRONG WRONG WRONG
The far right "RIGHT TURN LANE" is to get vehicles out of traffice BEFORE they have to slow down.

RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT....

The far right "right turn lane" is ALSO to allow people who are departing establishments that are off of the main road AND making right turns from cross streets to speed up and merge into traffic.

It is not for passing other lanes of traffic and it is not for riding a mile and a half until the next turn off.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
If I'm lucky enough to catch you there, I won't let you merge over. I'll make sure you come to a complete stop before the land ends. I simply block people trying to merge from that lane - every day.

How bout them apples? *GRIN*
You sound like a real a$$hole

BernieP

Resident PIA
RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT....

The far right "right turn lane" is ALSO to allow people who are departing establishments that are off of the main road AND making right turns from cross streets to speed up and merge into traffic.

It is not for passing other lanes of traffic and it is not for riding a mile and a half until the next turn off.

Does the sign say MERGE LANE or RIGHT HAND TURN LANE (MUST TURN RIGHT)
When it is used as a merge lane, the vehicles there force the vehicles on the main road to slow to get off, which tends to cause backups and accidents.
The idea was cars could move off and decelerate. If they have to dodge "merging" traffic it defeats the purpose.
When cars are coming to a complete stop on 235 because the lane is occupied by "mergers" it defeats the purpose - particularly if they are stopping on the downstream side of a traffic signal.

I think the best way to alleviate this is for everyone that is traveling north, they should turn left and go through First Colony, then left on Saint Andrews, then right into Wildewood and pass through whichever neighborhoods and get back out onto 235 without even having to use the 235/4 intersection.

Yes!:lol:

I wish I had a magic carpet.

Me too, one that vacuums itself.

BernieP

Resident PIA
:whoosh:

this is about the far right thru lanes, not the merge/turn lanes that are to the right of those.

but I agree, that's a problem too. But check the picture from the OP -- he was clearly angry about people who are obeying the law.

But the same concept - they believe they can just roll around a corner because the sign says YIELD (as opposed to stop) and the people with the right of way should allow them to merge.
They forget they have a stop light, if it's red they don't have the right of way regardless of what the sign says.

The problem is people create their own meaning..

SG_Player1974

Does the sign say MERGE LANE or RIGHT HAND TURN LANE (MUST TURN RIGHT)
When it is used as a merge lane, the vehicles there force the vehicles on the main road to slow to get off, which tends to cause backups and accidents.
The idea was cars could move off and decelerate. If they have to dodge "merging" traffic it defeats the purpose.
When cars are coming to a complete stop on 235 because the lane is occupied by "mergers" it defeats the purpose - particularly if they are stopping on the downstream side of a traffic signal.

SO... According to your logic...

If I stop at the Wawa just north of Gate 1 and I come out on that side street to get back onto 235 I guess I have to just jump the curb and go right on into traffic huh?

Isn't that why they have it turn into what you DON'T think is a MERGE lane?

That lane is a RIGHT TURN lane AS WELL AS a merge lane for incoming traffic onto 235.

My stance is that it IS NOT a passing lane, nor is it a cruising lane until your next right turn.

I think we are on the same side of the fence on most of the issue though :buddies:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Actually, it sounds like you don't understand the concept of tailgating and aggressive driving. If you are following so closely that a car cannot fit between you and the vehicle in front of you, then you are tailgating. If the cop sees you taking action to prevent a lawful merge you could be facing aggressive, negligent, or reckless driving charges. If an accident happens, you could be at fault.

A merge implies that vehicles in both lanes will take action to make the merge happen safely. Being in the center lane first does not grant you unlimited ownership of that lane. If the person in the right lane is following a sign that directs them to merge, they attempt to do so appriopriately including signalling, and you block them then you are in the wrong.

Today there was a ninny in a white work truck, some sort of plumbing business. As I was traveling in the third lane through the intersection, I could see a break to where I could merge safely and turned on my blinker to let him know that I would like to merge. Nope, he quickly sped up and tailgated the car in front of him so I couldn't get over. Thanks to the guy in the red pickup behind him, he kindly let me over. :lmao:

BernieP

Resident PIA
SO... According to your logic...

If I stop at the Wawa just north of Gate 1 and I come out on that side street to get back onto 235 I guess I have to just jump the curb and go right on into traffic huh?

Isn't that why they have it turn into what you DON'T think is a MERGE lane?

That lane is a RIGHT TURN lane AS WELL AS a merge lane for incoming traffic onto 235.

My stance is that it IS NOT a passing lane, nor is it a cruising lane until your next right turn.

I think we are on the same side of the fence on most of the issue though :buddies:

all depends on how many driveways you want to pass, how fast you have to go to merge - and you are not keeping cars form getting off 235.
Which is what the people coming around St. Andrews Church Rd do - those drivers force the traffic on 235 to slow down (or stop) in order to make a right turn because they are pacing the traffic.

MMDad

Lem Putt
I found a link for you so you can bone up on your merging knowledge. This is a direct Quote "It is your responsibility to merge into traffic. The traffic already on the highway has the right of way. You must adjust your speed accordingly and merge safely!"

I already know how to merge, and it does not consist of getting over a couple of miles before the lane ends. I don't need some stupid wiki to tell me. Since your link talks about entering a highway it is irrelevant to the discussion at hand. This is about traffic having a sign telling them to merge, and them doing so. The rules are different when entering a highway.

Maybe you should find and read the link that says for every 10 MPH, you should leave 1 to 1 1/2 car lengths between you and the vehicle in front of you. Your statement about leaving 1 to 1 1/2 car lengths between you and the vehicle you're following, at any speed is OK, is NOT OK! That is tailgating, and can be regarded as agressive driving.

Chestr

It sounds like what you're expecting is that the right thru lane on Northbound 235, from First Colony all the way to Route 4 (and beyond), should remain empty. Is that right?

That is NOT what I said. You twisted my words to create a straw-man argument, so it could be perceived how you want.

If you're turning onto 4, then sure, by all means, stay in the right lane.

Essentially what you're saying is that about a half mile of the 3rd lane should remain virtually empty during rush hour traffic. Is that right? Your answer should be yes, because that's what your expectation seems to be.

Nope. I simply expect that people merge over considerately, and in a timely fashion, instead of cramming themselves in during the last 100 ft of road.

YOU KNOW why they do it. Stop pretending you don't.

What you're saying is that you demand everyone to be backed up for miles, causing everyone a lengthier time to get home, because you're too terrified to use merge lanes. That's more offensive to me than anything else -- who gave you the right to demand that I take more time to get home?

Another extreme straw-man argument.

If the small percentage of A-holes would merge over (like everyone else does) before the light, there would be no more "traffic backed up for miles" than there already is.

MOST people do this.

What I'm saying is, using the rightmost lane ALLEVIATES traffic and helps everyone get home faster.

Yes. You're absolutely right, but you're also playing the fool. As long as the speed racers stop cramming their vehicles as many cars ahead as physically possible in the last 100 feet of road, everyone would be happier, AND SAFER, AND allow people turning in off 4 to actually get in for a change.

I pledge to start using that lane EVERY DAY, in order to help alleviate traffic and to piss you off, instead of using it maybe once every few weeks.

Go ahead. As long as you merge before going through the light like a normal human being, I'll leave you alone, but you run into me, you won't be merging over after the light until I am past you.

People could just OBEY TRAFFIC LAWS when they are driving!!!

The FAR right lane(s) on 235, both northbound AND southbound, are for merging into and out of 235. They ARE NOT for passing and/or getting around traffic that people do not feel applies to them.

BINGO. We have a winner. Thank you.

he was clearly angry about people who are obeying the law.

You can be well within the law, and still endanger people's lives for getting home 5 minutes sooner, which I expect you do.

You can still be well within the law and screw people over and be inconsiderate and inappropriate.

You know that, but you continue with the staw-man argument.

You sound like a real a$$hole

Sorry bout that. I'm actually an extremely selfless person who has spent his entire life helping other people for nothing in return, taking care of his family, and his animals, who are his babies.

I'm just fed up with the jerks on the road when they endanger my life, and the lives of my family members.

I'm just not afraid to give my unadulterated, unabashed, and uncensored opinion sometimes.

I'm also not afraid to stand up for what I believe in - ever.

all depends on how many driveways you want to pass, how fast you have to go to merge - and you are not keeping cars form getting off 235.
Which is what the people coming around St. Andrews Church Rd do - those drivers force the traffic on 235 to slow down (or stop) in order to make a right turn because they are pacing the traffic.

Oh would you just shut up? I am starting to see that you're here just to argue with anyone who will respond to you.

You know damn well what he meant by that, but you argued anyway, just for the sheer pleasure of being a troll.

I already know how to merge, and it does not consist of getting over a couple of miles before the lane ends. I don't need some stupid wiki to tell me. Since your link talks about entering a highway it is irrelevant to the discussion at hand. This is about traffic having a sign telling them to merge, and them doing so. The rules are different when entering a highway.

Apparently you don't. Actually, you should take a look at the annotated code of maryland. you can find it online.

Maybe do that before posting - here: Annotated Code of Maryland.

And here: Maryland Traffic Safety Laws

I love it when people like you say "brrruglbrrr, I don't need to read stuff to know that I'm right! brrrrrumgumllll....."

Following another vehicle too closely can get you two points off your license.

§ 21-310. Following too closely

(a) General rule. -- The driver of a motor vehicle may not follow another vehicle more closely than is reasonable and prudent, having due regard for the speed of the other vehicle and of the traffic on and the condition of the highway.​

Wasn't that easy? At least I'm honest...

Hmm. NOTHING in there about lane changes or merging. Uh, oh.

It is becoming apparent that the people who are arguing in this thread are the same douchbags who like to use that lane to pass 25 cars at the last minute.

You also know damn well that I never requested anyone get over "oh my goodness two whole miles" before the lane ends.

Straw-man argument - to the max. Why? Because you don't have any real ground to stand on.

Dang man... Be cool, bro. Be cool. Don't argue just to argue.

Last edited:

Chestr

§ 21-901.2. Aggressive driving

A person is guilty of aggressive driving if the person commits three or more of the following offenses at the same time or during a single and continuous period of driving in violation of:

(1) § 21-202 of this title (Traffic lights with steady indication);

(2) § 21-303 of this title (Overtaking and passing vehicles);

(3) § 21-304 of this title (Passing on right);

(4) § 21-309 of this title (Driving on laned roadways);

(5) § 21-310 of this title (Following too closely);

(6) § 21-403 of this title (Failure to yield right-of-way); or

(7) § 21-801.1 of this title (Exceeding a maximum speed limit or posted maximum speed limit).

Chestr

I'm only posting this stuff, MDdad, because you felt the need to post about things you weren't educated on, beforehand.

At least I can give you some ammunition so your argument has a weight above zero.

OH, and just so you know, you had better go look up the definition for reckless driving, because your argument isn't holding water. It has some holes, and the water is starting to pour out.

Just so you know...

anyway, continued....

TRANSPORTATION
TITLE 16. VEHICLE LAWS -- DRIVERS' LICENSES
SUBTITLE 4. REFUSAL, SUSPENSION, AND REVOCATION UNDER POINT SYSTEM

Md. TRANSPORTATION Code Ann. § 16-402 (2013)

§ 16-402. Assessment of points

(2) Following another vehicle too closely........................2 points

And just so you know, after having posted all of that in YOUR defense, I still won't let any of you into the middle lane if I catch you after the light.

*grin*

Last edited:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
People could just OBEY TRAFFIC LAWS when they are driving!!!

The FAR right lane(s) on 235, both northbound AND southbound, are for merging into and out of 235. They ARE NOT for passing and/or getting around traffic that people do not feel applies to them.

It boggles the mind how much money MSP or the Sheriff's office could make by watching these lanes between 3-6pm every weekday especially near San Succi and Chancellor's intersections. Apparently, it is a $90 fine for evading a controlled intersection each instance. :evil:

You're missing the point, this rant is about the straight through lane that goes away just north of the intersection of rt.4.

BlueBird

That is NOT what I said. You twisted my words to create a straw-man argument, so it could be perceived how you want.

If you're turning onto 4, then sure, by all means, stay in the right lane.

Nope. I simply expect that people merge over considerately, and in a timely fashion, instead of cramming themselves in during the last 100 ft of road.

YOU KNOW why they do it. Stop pretending you don't.

Another extreme straw-man argument.

If the small percentage of A-holes would merge over (like everyone else does) before the light, there would be no more "traffic backed up for miles" than there already is.

MOST people do this.

Yes. You're absolutely right, but you're also playing the fool. As long as the speed racers stop cramming their vehicles as many cars ahead as physically possible in the last 100 feet of road, everyone would be happier, AND SAFER, AND allow people turning in off 4 to actually get in for a change.

Go ahead. As long as you merge before going through the light like a normal human being, I'll leave you alone, but you run into me, you won't be merging over after the light until I am past you.

BINGO. We have a winner. Thank you.

You can be well within the law, and still endanger people's lives for getting home 5 minutes sooner, which I expect you do.

You can still be well within the law and screw people over and be inconsiderate and inappropriate.

You know that, but you continue with the staw-man argument.

Sorry bout that. I'm actually an extremely selfless person who has spent his entire life helping other people for nothing in return, taking care of his family, and his animals, who are his babies.

I'm just fed up with the jerks on the road when they endanger my life, and the lives of my family members.

I'm just not afraid to give my unadulterated, unabashed, and uncensored opinion sometimes.

I'm also not afraid to stand up for what I believe in - ever.

Oh would you just shut up? I am starting to see that you're here just to argue with anyone who will respond to you.

You know damn well what he meant by that, but you argued anyway, just for the sheer pleasure of being a troll.

Apparently you don't. Actually, you should take a look at the annotated code of maryland. you can find it online.

Maybe do that before posting - here: Annotated Code of Maryland.

And here: Maryland Traffic Safety Laws

I love it when people like you say "brrruglbrrr, I don't need to read stuff to know that I'm right! brrrrrumgumllll....."

Following another vehicle too closely can get you two points off your license.

§ 21-310. Following too closely

(a) General rule. -- The driver of a motor vehicle may not follow another vehicle more closely than is reasonable and prudent, having due regard for the speed of the other vehicle and of the traffic on and the condition of the highway.​

Wasn't that easy? At least I'm honest...

Hmm. NOTHING in there about lane changes or merging. Uh, oh.

It is becoming apparent that the people who are arguing in this thread are the same douchbags who like to use that lane to pass 25 cars at the last minute.

You also know damn well that I never requested anyone get over "oh my goodness two whole miles" before the lane ends.

Straw-man argument - to the max. Why? Because you don't have any real ground to stand on.

Dang man... Be cool, bro. Be cool. Don't argue just to argue.

Sigh!

BernieP

Resident PIA

Wait, you must not have taken your driver's ed in SOMD because we all know you get in the left lane 10 miles before you are actually going to turn left... just in case.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Wait, you must not have taken your driver's ed in SOMD because we all know you get in the left lane 10 miles before you are actually going to turn left... just in case.

Must be why I don't drive 40 in the left lane.

Wait a minute - driver's ed in SOMD? Someone actually teaches them to drive this poorly? I figured they just hop off the tractor one day and hit the roads.

Chestr

So, first it was 2 miles, and now its 10 miles?

Conclusion: you have no real argument besides this.

Informal fallacy: A type of argument meant to distort the author's original intent.

This all you got?

:yay: That's the first step.

I'm sorry I broke my foot off so deep in your butt. I understand that a man with more than twenty two thousand posts on a single website is deeply ingrained within it, and wouldn't like being embarrassed so badly in front of long term buddies.

I also noticed you neglected to address any of the points I brought up.

How very interesting.

You should start off by explaining the mechanics of reckless driving as it pertains to Maryland law.