[Rant] Every Day...

Beta

Smile!

Your post is complete and utter hogwash, but I noticed you kept using the theme of "before the last 100 feet." You do realize that after crossing route 4, there is more than 100 feet, right? So why do people have to merge BEFORE the light, instead of just after, which is within your 100 feet rule?

Again, if the entire right thru lane was full, it would get more traffic through the route 4 intersection for each light, which helps alleviate the backups. If you're only using 2 lanes at that intersection, because you expect nobody to be stopped at the light going straight, then essentially you have to leave it empty from First Colony and onwards -- during the 4:30 rush, it's basically bumper to bumper and merging over isn't so easy or guaranteed, and we wouldn't want to be in that right lane, get stuck there, and be dubbed one of the a-holes in your photo.

So you can say my argument is "flawed" but it's taking what you're saying and realistically applying what would need to happen during high traffic times in order to safely ensure that nobody is stuck in the right lane at that intersection.

Oh and as for your comment that people can use that right lane if they're merging onto 4...you're a HYPOCRITE!!!! You complain about people cutting in line, because how DARE they, but the right turn lane for Route 4 basically begins after Shady Mile and is backed up all the way to there. So by your logic, people who are turning right onto 4 should actually be in the right thru lane PRIOR to Shady Mile, and should immediately merge into the right lane when they can after Shady Mile (because it's a RIGHT TURN ONLY at Shady Mile, which many people neglect!).

Based on your argument, there should be absolutely nobody in the right lane because there should be nobody there making the right onto Rt 4 since they should already be in the right turn lane so they don't cut in line and cause merging problems.

You're wrong -- get over it.

So_what

Yes I'm an MPD, But who's
I’ll have to agree with the OP. It might not be a question of if it’s legal or right or wrong but simple courtesy. It pisses me off that most of those using that right lane not only have to merge into the center lane, but then also merge into the left lane so that they can turn into Wildewood. If you know you’re going to make a left turn ahead, why are you in the far right lane to start with? :shrug:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Could just shut down the bridge so there is just a little traffic turning right. :whistle:

Move the problem further north.

So_what

Yes I'm an MPD, But who's
Could just shut down the bridge so there is just a little traffic turning right. :whistle:

Move the problem further north.

That happened back in the 80's?? Bridge was shut down for repairs. You either had to drive all the way around, or the Navy and some charter boat owners provided a ferry service.

bilbur

Maybe you should find and read the link that says for every 10 MPH, you should leave 1 to 1 1/2 car lengths between you and the vehicle in front of you. Your statement about leaving 1 to 1 1/2 car lengths between you and the vehicle you're following, at any speed is OK, is NOT OK! That is tailgating, and can be regarded as agressive driving.

I didn't say at any speed, I said at the speeds I am going through that intersection which at rush hour is no more than 10 to 15mph. It would be faster but we have to slow down to let the merging traffic in. I will also let merging traffic in if they use their turn signal and make a request to get in my lane but if they try and force their way over then I am less accommodating.

Last edited:

bilbur

I already know how to merge, and it does not consist of getting over a couple of miles before the lane ends. I don't need some stupid wiki to tell me. Since your link talks about entering a highway it is irrelevant to the discussion at hand. This is about traffic having a sign telling them to merge, and them doing so. The rules are different when entering a highway.

Ok, if you didn't like that link then here is a different link from the Department of Transportation that says "On roads where there are lanes marked on the road, if your lane comes to an end, you must give way to traffic already in the lane you are moving to."

BernieP

Resident PIA
Author's original intent

Ahem...

You had plenty of time to merge over beforehand.

Photo: Massive Douchebags

Stop endangering everyone around you, every day, so you can get home 3 minutes sooner.

That is all.

You labeled drivers in the right lane "Massive Douche Bags".
Why, because they were trying to make most effective use of the three lanes the SHA provided at that traffic light?
Or would you rahter extend the backup further south on 235 and leave that lane clear---- for who, you, as you make your right hand turn?
The other misinformation in your labels is calling those in the left lane "fast".
There are plenty of vehicles in that lane who if given the chance don't make it up to the speed limit and drive past numerour lights.
I'n fact they are so considerate that I've seen some leave 4,5,6 car lengths betwen them and the car in front whjen stopped at the Wildewood light - mainly serving the purpose of preventing people who want to make the left from getting into the lane.
Fact is most of the drivers here have their fott firmly implanted in their own arse and seem to have the attitide that the can interpret the law to suit their purposes and ignore the intent of the SHA when they laid out the road.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Ok, if you didn't like that link then here is a different link from the Department of Transportation that says "On roads where there are lanes marked on the road, if your lane comes to an end, you must give way to traffic already in the lane you are moving to."

From Queensland, Australia? Couldn't find anything in this country so you went clear to the other side of the world?

:roflmao: What a maroon.

Chestr

Your post is complete and utter hogwash

Me: I simply ask that people merge over in a timely manner, instead of racing ahead, and forcing themselves over at the last possible minute, endangering themselves, and those around them.

You: NO.

*shrug*

So why do people have to merge BEFORE the light,
Because that's where it gets dangerous.
Because I wish to get home alive and uninjured? That too much to ask?
and merging over isn't so easy or guaranteed
Been here 10 years this year. Never had a problem changing lanes several times per trip, both to, and from work, 5 days a week, for 10 years.
By your argument (YOU said this. I didn't) Forcing your way over at the last possible minute is both easier, and safer than trying to merge beforehand?
mmkay. I'll buy that for a dollar.
So you can say my argument is "flawed"
Yes, it is. Terribly. See above.
Based on your argument, there should be absolutely nobody in the right lane
I never said this. Not once. I said don't merge at the last minute. Problems with reading comprehension?
because there should be nobody there making the right onto Rt 4 since they should already be in the right turn lane
The Rt 4 people have their own turn lane. It is unobstructed.
so they don't cut in line
Precisely. I'm not sure you are aware of this, but you drive a several thousand pound death machine. It is NOT a toy.

Is there anything else I can clear up for you?

Your post is complete and utter hogwash, but I noticed you kept using the theme of "before the last 100 feet." You do realize that after crossing route 4, there is more than 100 feet, right? So why do people have to merge BEFORE the light, instead of just after, which is within your 100 feet rule?

Again, if the entire right thru lane was full, it would get more traffic through the route 4 intersection for each light, which helps alleviate the backups. If you're only using 2 lanes at that intersection, because you expect nobody to be stopped at the light going straight, then essentially you have to leave it empty from First Colony and onwards -- during the 4:30 rush, it's basically bumper to bumper and merging over isn't so easy or guaranteed, and we wouldn't want to be in that right lane, get stuck there, and be dubbed one of the a-holes in your photo.

So you can say my argument is "flawed" but it's taking what you're saying and realistically applying what would need to happen during high traffic times in order to safely ensure that nobody is stuck in the right lane at that intersection.

Oh and as for your comment that people can use that right lane if they're merging onto 4...you're a HYPOCRITE!!!! You complain about people cutting in line, because how DARE they, but the right turn lane for Route 4 basically begins after Shady Mile and is backed up all the way to there. So by your logic, people who are turning right onto 4 should actually be in the right thru lane PRIOR to Shady Mile, and should immediately merge into the right lane when they can after Shady Mile (because it's a RIGHT TURN ONLY at Shady Mile, which many people neglect!).
Based on your argument, there should be absolutely nobody in the right lane because there should be nobody there making the right onto Rt 4 since they should already be in the right turn lane so they don't cut in line and cause merging problems.

You're wrong -- get over it.

And why do suppose the right turn lane is backed up? My guess is people rushing up the other lane and merging. Also yeah I have seen a bunch of jackasses running through 235 at Shady Mile in the right lane and also switching in the middle of the intersection. I cannot chance a pullout there when there is heavy traffic. Do not trust that much in the afterlife. This is on the bike, if I'm in the truck they get a clear signal I am going that way as in starting to roll. If they hit me, oh well too bad for them. Probably me too.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Me: I simply ask that people merge over in a timely manner, instead of racing ahead, and forcing themselves over at the last possible minute, endangering themselves, and those around them.

Seems like a "timely manner" would be where the highway markings tell you to merge instead of some imaginary point that nobody knows about.

.... and the people endangering those around them are the a$$holes intentionally blocking others from merging.

Chestr

If I keep arguing with you I'll end up looking just as dumb as you. I think aps and BernieP put it best. Have fun with your delusions. :roflmao:

Translation: "I have nowhere left to go, so I'll resort to name calling."

Personal attacks are the lowest form of debate.

*shrug*

oh well.

MMDad

Lem Putt
"I have nowhere left to go, so I'll resort to name calling."

Personal attacks are the lowest form of debate.

Pssst... You started this tread by calling lawful drivers "douchebags." You lost any credibility in the first post.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Pssst... You started this tread by calling lawful drivers "douchebags." You lost any credibility in the first post.

I like pineapple.

Attachments

• Special_Ed_cropped.jpg
    Special_Ed_cropped.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 50

garyt27

INAFJ
The people coming off 4 do not have the right of way. They have a merge lane of their own. The right of way belongs to those already on 235, and the Rt. 4 traffic has to yield.

As I said before, there is nothing wrong with using that lane. The problem is aggressive drivers who make unsafe merges, combined with those in the middle lane who refuse to allow others to merge safely.

It's really weird how poorly Southern Maryland drivers merge. It's like people think that you are supposed to get in your lane five miles before your turn and stay there. If people used all of the lanes available, then merged politely at the merge point, traffic could flow so much better. Instead we have the two left lanes of 235 backed up for a mile with angry drivers resenting those who go by in the right lane.

Traffic engineers have said to use the open lanes all the way to the end and then merge, lets say a lane is closed ahead, and the signs are put up 1.5 miles in advance then more warning, now why should you merge over 3/4 mile before the lane closes? you shouldn't. That's why your point is valid. They said that traffic would move better if all the lanes are used to the fullest.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Traffic engineers have said to use the open lanes all the way to the end and then merge, lets say a lane is closed ahead, and the signs are put up 1.5 miles in advance then more warning, now why should you merge over 3/4 mile before the lane closes? you shouldn't. That's why your point is valid. They said that traffic would move better if all the lanes are used to the fullest.

DING DING

Even simpler, if 10 cars can get thru the light in one lane, then 20 can using 2, the third lane adds a 50% increase over using just two lanes - 30 cars.

What would help with the merging is similar common sense, if people would accelerate at a decent rate, gaps would open in traffic. But when a couple of pokes slow it down, traffic bunches up and merging is difficult.

Personally I don't use that lane because you get people who don't move and then you are stalled, but more power to those who can get thru because it's that many fewer cars stretching back down the highway and potentially blocking an intersection there.

garyt27

INAFJ
Hov also

And there are some that say to open the HOV lanes to all, and I agree, my taxes have paid for them.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
I'm starting to like the idea of having both right lanes designated to turn right onto Rt. 4. That's how the road is set up heading South at that intersection.

Begin the double right turn once you are past Shady Mile.

:popcorn: