Rescued Baby Turtle

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Inkpen said:
OK People....Please understand this fact: It is illegal to keep wild animals as pets. PERIOD.
Unless you have a permit from Department of Natural Resourses, MD to keep it, rehab it, show it, you can not keep it as a pet.

Every wild animal has its own needs and own diet that nature provides a heck of a lot better than you can.

Keeping a wild animal captive, preventing it from being able to live in the wild and to reproduce is cruel.

There are quite a few folks here who will slam me with red...and they will say keep it, raise it.

There are others too who keep what they find because they think they have a right to, or it is cool or that they think they can raise it and make a pet and impress friends.

If you are going to steal, kidnap wildlife..dont advertise the fact, dont post it here, and ask forgiveness after it dies a prisioner of your ego.

Wildlife is wild,....leave it there or get it to a licensed wildlife rehabber.

We are here and are trained to properly care for, rehab with the goal to release all wildife in Maryland.

So quit telling this gal to keep it as a pet, to do this or do that...and Paso...if the turtle had not been taken, nature would have taken its course..
and if being eaten by another animal is that outcome, then the turtle has fullfilled one of its purposes..to be part of the food chain.

Either turn it loose or turn it over to a rehabber before more damage is done to this turtle.

Thank you.....
A licensed Wildlife Rehabber advocating on behalf of all wildlife.

It's a friggin turtle, get over it already..

nomoney

Inkpen said:
Wise up...I am in no mood for people like you who dont want to help..but who have nothing better to do than make crass jokes.

Got a cricket? Pick it up and toss it outside..or eat it with butter ..you are an adult..make an adult choice and deal with it.

ya Pete, no mood.

rack'm

Jaded
What kind is this one??

turtle1.jpg

:confused:

Fubar

Look my ass glows!
Looks like a Box Turtle :yay:
Lesson for the day-
In MD, 19 species of turtles find homes in small ponds, non-tidal and tidal wetlands, woodlands, streams, rivers and bogs. Actually there are 3 groups of turtles in Maryland:

True turtles, which spend some or all of their time in water
Tortoises that live on land
Terrapins which are limited to Maryland's tidal marshes and waters.

SeaPony

Wow! I haven't been back here since I posted about my turtle...
Looks like someone might have sand in their panties!

What ever happened to the little baby turtle?

danceintherain

DNR does ask that all turtles caught for the turtle races be returned to the location (or within a 1 mile radius) in which you found them within 30 days of capture. All turtles had to be 4" in length. In the future, turtle races may be illegal in Maryland. At the turtle race in Leonardtown this summer it was announced that this may be the last year. The turtle population is on the decline.

That's not entirely true, otherwise the "turtle races" would be illegal. Yes, I have looked it up. You can possess 1 of the following without a permit, though other than that, if it's native to MD, you're right, it is illegal:

Wood Turtle
Spotted Turtle
Eastern Box Turtle

For the full disclosure, including the minimum size requirement here's the link: Captive Reptile & Amphibian Permit/License - Wildlife & Plant Permits- Wildlife & Heritage Service

I don't care how you feel. Live and let live- tree hugger or otherwise. But if you're going to give information, especially something that can be easily researched, make sure it's right or at least add a simple "IIRC."

*Disclaimer* The above is in reference to turtles only since this is a turtle thread; eventhough Ink posted about ALL animals. The link does provide for information on other herps. I don't know what the law is for other animals, nor am I going to pretend to. I'm sure it should be relatively easy to find.

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
DNR does ask that all turtles caught for the turtle races be returned to the location (or within a 1 mile radius) in which you found them within 30 days of capture. All turtles had to be 4" in length. In the future, turtle races may be illegal in Maryland. At the turtle race in Leonardtown this summer it was announced that this may be the last year. The turtle population is on the decline.

The regs don't suprise me. Anything kept over 30 days may not be released back into the wild.

I'll have to post a few pics one of these days. I have a box turtle living in my front yard. I have no idea how it survived to get there, it's surrounded by roads and there isn't really much wooded areas for quite a ways.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
The regs don't suprise me. Anything kept over 30 days may not be released back into the wild.

I'll have to post a few pics one of these days. I have a box turtle living in my front yard. I have no idea how it survived to get there, it's surrounded by roads and there isn't really much wooded areas for quite a ways.

Would you say your turtle is about the size of a coconut??

He was probably dropped by an African Swallow...

B

Bronwyn

Update on turtle....

Released him back into a pond right near where he was found. He swam away quite happy. Decided to let nature take it's course. Turtles live for a long time and I wasn't really looking for the commitment they require. He was fun to have for the few days we had him. :buddies:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Update on turtle....

Released him back into a pond right near where he was found. He swam away quite happy. Decided to let nature take it's course. Turtles live for a long time and I wasn't really looking for the commitment they require. He was fun to have for the few days we had him. :buddies:

He probably drowned and :dead: He did not look like a water turtle..:whistle:

B

Bronwyn

Well, when we had him, we put him in an aquarium with some water, and he stayed in the water all the time, rather than in the dry part. It's not like we chucked him out in to the center of the pond! :lmao: