Roland's Liquors ID checking is crazy.....

SandieGarry

If I may, not only is it an age requirement but also a possible alcohol restriction. I may be wrong but I believe that in order to be 100% compliant, you need to check the back of an ID to verify that there is not an alcohol restriction. In my opinion, every establishment that sells any type of alcohol (carryout or sit down) should be 100% ID check. If you don't like it, go somewhere else. If you have nothing to hide then you should have no worries. In all fairness, this is just my opinion.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Gilligan...thanks for returning to the topic. My main gripe is the lack of common sense at the register. You could make a beer purchase, get to your car and realize you forgot the wine, go back in to THE SAME register and get re-carded. ( I am 56 and have shirts over 21). It's kinda like going to a bar, having a drink, finishing the drink, ordering another, then getting carded for it.

If the local authorities didn't consider their routine efforts to trap local merchants a "sport", perhaps "common sense" behavior would be OK. But "sport" it is, and ever more clever they have become.

Catman2

If I may, not only is it an age requirement but also a possible alcohol restriction. I may be wrong but I believe that in order to be 100% compliant, you need to check the back of an ID to verify that there is not an alcohol restriction. In my opinion, every establishment that sells any type of alcohol (carryout or sit down) should be 100% ID check. If you don't like it, go somewhere else. If you have nothing to hide then you should have no worries. In all fairness, this is just my opinion.
I seriously doubt that checking for alcohol restrictions is within the responsibilities of a package store. The day I have to remove my license for a booze clerk is the day I find another store. Hello, Nicks.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I seriously doubt that checking for alcohol restrictions is within the responsibilities of a package store. The day I have to remove my license for a booze clerk is the day I find another store. Hello, Nicks.

Nice job busting out Nick's for not carding. Expect to see them shut down soon.

wubbles

Maybe you all just don't drink enough. I have never been carded after going to the same place a few times even when I was in my 20s.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
As I recall you had to show your Government ID to buy food at the PX, but proving your are over 21 to buy alcohol in Indiana is stupid. :)
No problem with that. Can't tell if someone is, or was, in the service when out of uniform. Only way to identify a person entitled to the benefit of using the PX.

How long have you been center of the universe?
Oh, for about the past fifteen years or so. Someday I may tell you the story of how that came to be.

If the local authorities didn't consider their routine efforts to trap local merchants a "sport", perhaps "common sense" behavior would be OK. But "sport" it is, and ever more clever they have become.
And there is part of the problem. Over zealous coppers. So, do they also use movie grade make-up artists to age these 20 years olds to look like 50 year olds to try and buy some beer?

Still waiting for someone to post the law where it says that it is a mandatory 100% ID check.

Last edited:

mitzi

If I may ...

It seems that there is a laissez-faire "well it feels right" "It's all for the better" mentality here. I have no problems asking for ID's for those that appear close to 21 or 18 for smokes. But there has to be some common sense. Too many people are so conditioned to not question and just go along with the stupidity of it all. Well I am not one of those people. And make no apologies for it.

They are doing what they are told to do. I worked PT at a liquor store. You cannot guess on who appears to be 21. I carded people that looked underage and they were in their late 20s. Same with the cigarettes. Not only does the business get fined for an underage sale, so does the cashier. I can't remember now if it's $250 or $500. People like you who would make a fuss, I'd be sure to card them every time even if I remembered you were way past 21. What's the problem with pulling out your ID?
I had a guy once go off on me for carding him at the drive thru. He went off he knew the owner, blah, blah. My response, "I don't care who you know, I need an ID, I'm not getting a fine because of you".

black dog

Free America
If I may ...No problem with that. Can't tell if someone is, or was, in the service when out of uniform. Only way to identify a person entitled to the benefit of using the PX.

Thanks for proving my point. Buying alcohol is no different, you prove that you are 21 or older by showing the correct ID.

mitzi

There is no law that can restrict anyone's alcohol purchase.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Do NOT throw a veteran reference into this. You did go to war to protect this Nation and the laws it makes. You are not above those laws and it does NOT entitle you to be an ass. Do not sully the sacrifice of those that went before and after all of us veterans to make some silly ass point about your inconvenience. Jackass.

Lighten up, Francis.

black dog

Free America
Getting butt hurt about being asked for an ID to buy beer is certainly makes you a part of the problem. There's no slippery slope there. Grow up, you pompous asshat

You forget, he's a Special Veteran, he's the kind of Veteran that tells everyone he's a Veteran for absolutely no reason. He's the kind of Veteran that checks every box for a discount or a free pancake breakfast. He's the kind of Veteran that wears on of those stupid blue hats that say ' I'm a Veteran ' .
He's one of those guys that he thinks the world owes him something just because he served.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
.................. Still waiting for someone to post the law where it says that it is a mandatory 100% ID check.........

I think you're the only one who's implied there's a law. What most of us have said is that some individual stores have implemented it for various reasons, mostly being fined and having their licenses suspended.

officeguy

And there is part of the problem. Over zealous coppers. So, do they also use movie grade make-up artists to age these 20 years olds to look like 50 year olds to try and buy some beer?

Still waiting for someone to post the law where it says that it is a mandatory 100% ID check.

There is no such law in MD. It is up to the licensee to ensure that the person is older than 21, how the licensee accomplishes that is up to him. By telling their employees to card everyone, they just avoid any discussions.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
Thanks for proving my point. Buying alcohol is no different, you prove that you are 21 or older by showing the correct ID.
Are you serious? Do you not see that there is a difference in the two circumstances? If I look over 55, I should not have to prove I'm over 21. Whereas if I'm not in a service uniform I would need to identify myself as a service member entitled to use the PX.

Getting butt hurt about being asked for an ID to buy beer is certainly makes you a part of the problem. There's no slippery slope there. Grow up, you pompous asshat
Accepting all stupid laws without resistance makes you part of the problem.

You forget, he's a Special Veteran, he's the kind of Veteran that tells everyone he's a Veteran for absolutely no reason. He's the kind of Veteran that checks every box for a discount or a free pancake breakfast. He's the kind of Veteran that wears on of those stupid blue hats that say ' I'm a Veteran ' . He's one of those guys that he thinks the world owes him something just because he served.
Actually it's the opposite. I really do have a problem disusing my veteran (combat) status, when out and about. I, often times, feel guilty seeing the doctor at the VA clinic in Charlotte Hall. Worried that I might be taking away needed resources from a more deserving veteran. Same reason I loath having to get an appointment at the VA hospital in DC. I have no unit or IRQ or AFGAN or "I Served" stickers on my car. No special veteran plates. No campaign badge plate. No disabled veteran plate. I keep quite when I hear others talk about war and politics, or about the VA or the current administration (Subjects related to veterans). I do not advertise that I am a veteran. Mainly because I don't like talking about it. Another reason is that I don't want to water down (in the minds of others) the honorable status and responsibility that comes with it. But I would have to say that the main reason is because of people like you. People such as yourself with your arrogance and condescending vitriol. I might not carry a rifle any more, but I can still fight for what I believe in. Simple as that. We can disagree on many things. I just happen to think that there is no sensible need to card a man or woman that looks well past 35, especially ones that look over 50 and 60. I bring up my veteran status here to only help solidify my position in a debate. To let others know why I feel and think such a way as to be for or against such things. Not to elicit compassion or feelings from others.

----
I think you're the only one who's implied there's a law. What most of us have said is that some individual stores have implemented it for various reasons, mostly being fined and having their licenses suspended.
That statement was in response to ...
So, you are above the law? It's a law to ID 100%. Show your ID.

black dog

Free America
If I may ...Are you serious? Do you not see that there is a difference in the two circumstances? If I look over 55, I should not have to prove I'm over 21. Whereas if I'm not in a service uniform I would need to identify myself as a service member entitled to use the PX.

Actually it's the opposite. I really do have a problem disusing my veteran (combat) status, when out and about. I, often times, feel guilty seeing the doctor at the VA clinic in Charlotte Hall. Worried that I might be taking away needed resources from a more deserving veteran. Same reason I loath having to get an appointment at the VA hospital in DC. I have no unit or IRQ or AFGAN or "I Served" stickers on my car. No special veteran plates. No campaign badge plate. No disabled veteran plate. I keep quite when I hear others talk about war and politics, or about the VA or the current administration (Subjects related to veterans). I do not advertise that I am a veteran. Mainly because I don't like talking about it. Another reason is that I don't want to water down (in the minds of others) the honorable status and responsibility that comes with it. But I would have to say that the main reason is because of people like you. People such as yourself with your arrogance and condescending vitriol. I might not carry a rifle any more, but I can still fight for what I believe in. Simple as that. We can disagree on many things. I just happen to think that there is no sensible need to card a man or woman that looks well past 35, especially ones that look over 50 and 60. I bring up my veteran status here to only help solidify my position in a debate. To let others know why I feel and think such a way as to be for or against such things. Not to elicit compassion or feelings from others.

You know nothing of me. But thanks for really making my point for the second time.

Last edited: