Roland's Liquors ID checking is crazy.....

bilbur

I think you may have selective memory. I have never, ever, been "randomly selected" by TSA and neither have any of my family (parents/in-laws) or co-workers with whom I travel with quite regularly (10-15 trips per year total).

The only exception is two engineers of Indian descent in my group. It seems like a 50/50 chance that one or both will get additional screening and I know they take the utmost care to prevent it (don't bring chargers/laptops/etc. in carry-on, are professionally dressed and clean shaven, etc).

I was once selected for additional screening along with the guy that was behind me. I am white and the guy behind me, I am guessing, was from middle eastern decent. I always thought I just got caught up as the person the TSA guys could say "we screened a white one too" if the other guy complained. He actually was finished before me because he had less stuff in his carryon but it didn't take me long either. It was basically a minor inconvenience that really wasn't that big of a deal to me.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I was hit for the random detailed body and bag search twice on my last trip home from Korea. Once by the airport security folks at Incheon and then when coming in to US by Customs. First time in all the years I've traveled that I got pulled for a random bag and person inspection by US Customs, though it happens more often entering foreign countries.

bulldog

Actually it's the opposite. I really do have a problem disusing my veteran (combat) status, when out and about. I, often times, feel guilty seeing the doctor at the VA clinic in Charlotte Hall. Worried that I might be taking away needed resources from a more deserving veteran. Same reason I loath having to get an appointment at the VA hospital in DC. I have no unit or IRQ or AFGAN or "I Served" stickers on my car. No special veteran plates. No campaign badge plate. No disabled veteran plate. I keep quite when I hear others talk about war and politics, or about the VA or the current administration (Subjects related to veterans). I do not advertise that I am a veteran. Mainly because I don't like talking about it. Another reason is that I don't want to water down (in the minds of others) the honorable status and responsibility that comes with it. But I would have to say that the main reason is because of people like you. People such as yourself with your arrogance and condescending vitriol. I might not carry a rifle any more, but I can still fight for what I believe in. Simple as that. We can disagree on many things. I just happen to think that there is no sensible need to card a man or woman that looks well past 35, especially ones that look over 50 and 60. I bring up my veteran status here to only help solidify my position in a debate. To let others know why I feel and think such a way as to be for or against such things. Not to elicit compassion or feelings from others.

I was just following along with the conversation, until reading this. Now I'm throwing the :bs: flag. IF your attempt at humble, self-deprecation were real you would not have needed to add "(combat)" to the discussion. Veteran would have been just fine. :patriot:

bilbur

I think you may have selective memory. I have never, ever, been "randomly selected" by TSA and neither have any of my family (parents/in-laws) or co-workers with whom I travel with quite regularly (10-15 trips per year total).

The only exception is two engineers of Indian descent in my group. It seems like a 50/50 chance that one or both will get additional screening and I know they take the utmost care to prevent it (don't bring chargers/laptops/etc. in carry-on, are professionally dressed and clean shaven, etc).

I was once selected for additional screening along with the guy that was behind me. I am white and the guy behind me, I am guessing, was from middle eastern decent. I always thought I just got caught up as the person the TSA guys could say "we screened a white one too" if the other guy complained. He actually was finished before me because he had less stuff in his carryon but it didn't take me long either. It was basically a minor inconvenience that really wasn't that big of a deal to me.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
I was just following along with the conversation, until reading this. Now I'm throwing the :bs: flag. IF your attempt at humble, self-deprecation were real you would not have needed to add "(combat)" to the discussion. Veteran would have been just fine. :patriot:
I would answer that with the reasoning behind my self defining statement, but I decline.

Catman2

Yes....it really sucks getting carded EVERY time you go to a package store even though you are old, broken down and gray headed. Then, the cashiers say it's the law.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yes....it really sucks getting carded EVERY time you go to a package store even though you are old, broken down and gray headed. Then, the cashiers say it's the law.

Thank your local liquor board. It's their game.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Cashiers don't make the laws, they just have to deal with the consequences of inadvertently breaking them. If you get all pissed off when the counter kid asks for ID, you're a #### head. Just show your damn ID and find another way to fight the power.

I have been carded by; to use your term Vrai; counter kids. I comply, but not without jokingly saying with a chuckle, 'You're young enough to be my son/daughter, but I know, you were told to, so here ya go.' Another response I've used, 'I haven't looked under 21 for years; but, okay.....here.'

Hank

my war
I have been carded by; to use your term Vrai; counter kids. I comply, but not without jokingly saying with a chuckle, 'You're young enough to be my son/daughter, but I know, you were told to, so here ya go.' Another response I've used, 'I haven't looked under 21 for years; but, okay.....here.'

Cool responses, bro! :buddies:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Thank your local liquor board. It's their game.

It's a shame it's not done consistently and in particular when a credit card is used. Personally, I get the idea there are two standards for package stores depending on who the owner is. One group is constantly harassed by the LCB and it's gestapo. The other never seems to get tagged yet everybody knows they sell to minors. Go figure.

BernieP

Resident PIA

My wife loves to be carded? As long as it's done politely, I accept it's them doing their job to follow the law (and to protect the store's license).
I have no problem showing them my license. If someone asks for photo ID when I use plastic, I thank them. You would too if your credit card was "borrowed".

BernieP

Resident PIA
So I don't understand the complaint. In regards to TSA policy, there is a no fly list, which is more or less secret until you go to get on the plane. They also have a list of people who are tagged for extra screening and just to be fair and not be accused of "profiling", they randomly select passengers for the additional screening.
TSA Pre check is not a given, each airlines' system randomly withholds TSA Precheck when you purchase your ticket.
BTW, extra screening isn't the worst thing that could happen, the No Fly List is a mess. First, don't have any credit issues, it's one of the criteria. Two, it's almost impossible to get off and three, a fair number have been placed on the list because their name was similar to someone who made the list. They say the biggest problem is children under 5 because they typically don't have photo ID to prove they are not the person in question.