Roland's Liquors ID checking is crazy.....

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If I may ...Why not be above the law? Most all politicians, judges, police, the very wealthy etc are. Why can't I be? Show me the law.

It is noteworthy how far we've come from any semblance of citizenship. From this demand to 'show your papers' to acceptance of release waivers to countless papers to sign to buy a house or car, the irresponsible way we go about guns, subject ourselves to bodily search and seizure to go for a ride on a plane. It's just easier and creates jobs to demand all these limits of freedom on ourselves than to hold people responsible for behavior. All of it serves the illusion, making us profoundly more vulnerable to much greater risk but we feel relieved and we like it for whatever reasons. They're certainly not reasons of freedom and liberty. Quaint terms of the past.

bilbur

I don't think there is anything wrong with an everybody gets carded policy. It covers the store owners and the guy behind the counters ass. When I was going through high school there was a guy that was going bald at 16, he was almost as bald as George Costanza toward the end of the Seinfeld show. Everyone would give him money to buy their booze, he really did look like he was in his mid 30's. I never used him because there was a certain gas station in Leonardtown that never carded so I would just go to them to get my cigarettes and alcohol. Maybe if the place carded when I was a kid I wouldn't be addicted to cigarettes. Ha ha, who am I kidding, where there is a will there is a way.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It covers the store owners and the guy behind the counters ass.

Exactly. And then maybe the county will stop with the "let's go play gotcha with 17 yo minimum-wage store clerks and see who we can trick" games.

H

Hodr

[...] and a couple of times have seen an unmarked crown vic parked a few spaces away with what i would presume to be police officers in them.

An unmarked Crown Vic in front of a liquor store you say? Yeah, I am about 106% sure that wasn't a cop.

officeguy

I had to chuckle yesterday. My parents are in their 80s, the same waiter who had just helped them to put their crutches/walkers away had to ask them for ID to fetch their drink order.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I had to chuckle yesterday. My parents are in their 80s, the same waiter who had just helped them to put their crutches/walkers away had to ask them for ID to fetch their drink order.

I've seen some "old guy" rubber masks that looked pretty convincing....

H

Hodr

I've seen some "old guy" rubber masks that looked pretty convincing....
johnny%20knoxville%20bad%20grandpa.jpg

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Sanity needs to make a comeback in this country and all the pansies and apologists are making it a difficult thing to happen.

indeed

old aged white laddies get the stink eye from TSA, young brown males of middle eastern decent get a pass

H

Hodr

indeed

old aged white laddies get the stink eye from TSA, young brown males of middle eastern decent get a pass

I think you may have selective memory. I have never, ever, been "randomly selected" by TSA and neither have any of my family (parents/in-laws) or co-workers with whom I travel with quite regularly (10-15 trips per year total).

The only exception is two engineers of Indian descent in my group. It seems like a 50/50 chance that one or both will get additional screening and I know they take the utmost care to prevent it (don't bring chargers/laptops/etc. in carry-on, are professionally dressed and clean shaven, etc).

BernieP

Resident PIA
You are (quite apparently) unaware of the lengths to which the local constabulary have gone to entrap liquor-selling merchants recently.

States like Indiana that have passed "mandatory 100%" ID laws once seemed excessive....now I realize they put the best solution in to place. "card 'em all".

I cannot fault the merchant for following the law. As you said, they know they can be "tested", why would they want to risk the fine or losing their license.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I think you may have selective memory. I have never, ever, been "randomly selected" by TSA and neither have any of my family (parents/in-laws) or co-workers with whom I travel with quite regularly (10-15 trips per year total).

The only exception is two engineers of Indian descent in my group. It seems like a 50/50 chance that one or both will get additional screening and I know they take the utmost care to prevent it (don't bring chargers/laptops/etc. in carry-on, are professionally dressed and clean shaven, etc).

then you and your friends are lucky. Even if you are TSA Pre-check, they randomly kick you out and you may be subject to additional screening.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Well shoot...that doesn't really narrow it down much 'round these parts.

Are you familiar with the movie, Men in Black or MIB? In this case it was MIB II. The character in question looks like a normal human except he has a smaller (but identical) second head growing out of his shoulder.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Are you familiar with the movie, Men in Black or MIB? In this case it was MIB II. The character in question looks like a normal human except he has a smaller (but identical) second head growing out of his shoulder.

I could probably recite most of the better lines from both. I was just having some fun with this tread...

Forkian

Common sense should be used. If it is an elderly little old lady with a walker, she should not have to go back to her car to get her ID to make a alcohol purchase. There are always some that want to flex whatever type of power they may have over a situation in order to fluff their own ego. Sounds like that might be the case with refusing to sell to an old lady without her ID.