Route 5 South of 4

jenileigh

My thoughts and prayers go out to her family. My heart breaks..

I was in an accident just a month ago on St. Andrews. Slightly similar - my car was stopped, was rear ended at a very high rate of speed, clipped the car in front of me, my car flipped multiple times & hit by a car going the opposite way. But I was in SUV. This hits home.

C

CalvertNewbie

With role models like that, it's no wonder there is no respect for the road, rules or obligations. I wouldn't have dreamed telling my dad something like that, especially in a place where state troopers could hear me. There's no fear of consequence until it's too late.

I agree. That's so ridiculous! If I had told my parents anything like that, I wouldn't have access to a car for a VERY long time. Sounds like a bunch of parents trying to be friends to their kids instead of parents.

From the BayNet link;

So sad, this poor girl barely even started her life. This accident wasn't even her fault yet she was the one who's life was lost. Once again, the at-fault driver walked away without a scratch. What a tragedy!

If it's the same person, MD Judiciary site has a few things on him. Mainly speeding. Most recently ( just on 6.10.10 ) in Calvert for 77 in a 55.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I think my 16 year old daughter will be driving my Land Rover..

NO little car for her.

DEVASTING for her and her family.. and not a phone call, or knock at the door I EVER want to receive. I just can't imagine the pain.

Woodyspda

Was following a car on that same stretch last friday...

Passenger was laying down in front seat with legs hanging out the passenger window... I assume head was in the lap of driver.... Driver had left foot out driver window blocking their view of the side mirror. UN!@#$ing real.

What was Justin McRae doing that he wasn't able to stop in time?

Seems like I hear about a fatal or near fatal rear end accident about every two weeks here.

Never seen anything like it here in the states....

poster

I think my 16 year old daughter will be driving my Land Rover..

NO little car for her.

DEVASTING for her and her family.. and not a phone call, or knock at the door I EVER want to receive. I just can't imagine the pain.

This is HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE.....I pray for her family and those involved who will have to remember this forever.

To those of you who have teenage drivers, what are the ages kids can drive alone these days? 16 is so young, I can't even image my now 10yr old driving in 6 yrs. :faint:

sb624

This is HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE.....I pray for her family and those involved who will have to remember this forever.

To those of you who have teenage drivers, what are the ages kids can drive alone these days? 16 is so young, I can't even image my now 10yr old driving in 6 yrs. :faint:

regardless of the age that someone can drive alone at, the 16 year old was not at fault- the 28 year old caused the accident.

As a parent, you have complete control as to what age your child can begin driving.

C

CalvertNewbie

As a parent, you have complete control as to what age your child can begin driving.

Yes, time to break out the bubble. I'm so thankful I don't have to worry about my son driving for a really long time. I don't know how my parents ever slept when my brother & I started driving alone?

Yes, time to break out the bubble. I'm so thankful I don't have to worry about my son driving for a really long time. I don't know how my parents ever slept when my brother & I started driving alone?
I've got 4 years till my oldest turns 16. His first car will either be a 2005 Ford Focus (if it's still around) or a 2006 Honda Pilot and he won't do a lot of driving alone until he has proven to ME that he can be trusted to do so.

poster

regardless of the age that someone can drive alone at, the 16 year old was not at fault- the 28 year old caused the accident.

That wasn't my question nor my point, I didn't say she was at fault.
I was just curious as to how young kids can drive these days.
The rules have changed since I got my license.

I know (as parent) I set the rules, I don't plan on allowing daughter to drive till she's 30 :) but I know that's unrealistic.

Roxie04

does not matter sometimes how good of a driver your child is. you can't control how other people drive.

sb624

does not matter sometimes how good of a driver your child is. you can't control how other people drive.

thank you- my point exactly.. july 9 of last year was another perfect example, shana ridgell was rear-ended and killed due to some idiot not paying attention.

Erin

Would have turned 17 within a month..........My heart breaks for her parents. Graduated high school with them. Good people.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I've got 4 years till my oldest turns 16. His first car will either be a 2005 Ford Focus (if it's still around) or a 2006 Honda Pilot and he won't do a lot of driving alone until he has proven to ME that he can be trusted to do so.

Keep your child out of the Ford Focus if you can.

That's all I'm going to say about that.

jenileigh

Absolutely the mirror image I faced. My POS totals my car but I was lucky and survived. Causes a four car accident. POS had no valid license, multiple speeding infractions. Was NOT arrested at the scene. And was picked up exactly 10 days later, speeding with no license again. And I can bet my POS is still driving.... And dollars to donuts, this guy from this accident will be back on the road...

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
I keep drilling this into my kid - he's a great driver but he's not the only one out there.

My thoughts and prayers are with Shelby's family.