Sales Tax Increase

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Where do they add that on? I just bought some stuff from WM and shipped it to OR where I know they have a store. The only charges I remember seeing was shipping.
The law varies from state to state. If OR doesn't follow that rule, then, you may not pay sales tax. Maryland follows that rule...so if you order from ToysRUs.com, you pay tax. If you order from EToys, you don't....Oh for the guys, if you order from BassPro...you pay tax, if you order from Cabelas, you don't.

Dymphna

Nope- Amazon has to charge it. Online only stores are considered to have a presence in whatever state they ship to. The only out is if you're buying off ebay (from someone out of state) or from some little mom and pop shop that has a website.
Amazon doesn't charge sales tax if they are shipping to Maryland...HOWEVER, if they are taking your order, but are not the seller/shipper of the items, (for example, they broker for Target, Borders, and any number of other retailers) then the actual seller may have to charge tax if they have a dirt store in Maryland.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
I know the company I work for sells thru it's catalog and website and has to charge certain customers their state sales tax. It's if the company is considered to have a legal presence by that state's law.

hurricane

It's 5 O'clock somewhere!
Amazon doesn't charge sales tax if they are shipping to Maryland...HOWEVER, if they are taking your order, but are not the seller/shipper of the items, (for example, they broker for Target, Borders, and any number of other retailers) then the actual seller may have to charge tax if they have a dirt store in Maryland.

Right! I have never payed sales tax from Amazon unless I go thru them to get to Target.

I have done 90% of my Christmas shopping online, with no sales tax, and nearly
free shipping on all.

:yahoo:

-H

hurricane

It's 5 O'clock somewhere!
I know the company I work for sells thru it's catalog and website and has to charge certain customers their state sales tax. It's if the company is considered to have a legal presence by that state's law.

Yes...and most states, including Maryland, consider on-line stores not to have a
"legal presence" unless they physically occupy space (stores, offices) in that
state.

For out of state customers for mail-order, I do not believe sales-tax is charged.

-T

Dymphna

That's because each state is different. The laws are different on charging sales tax on internet purchases. In MD they tried to charge, but it got shot down in the courts. I forget the details, but it was during Glendening's administration.

NOW, if you are talking about a home party type business...they DO charge sales taz, because the Independent Consultant is the "retail outlet" it doesn't have to be a building.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Nope- Amazon has to charge it. Online only stores are considered to have a presence in whatever state they ship to. The only out is if you're buying off ebay (from someone out of state) or from some little mom and pop shop that has a website.

Nope, I've never paid sales tax through Amazon. .

itsbob

I bowl overhand
and we keep hearing "it's ONLY 1%"...

No, it's a 20% increase in taxes, and he is STILL cutting programs, and monies to the Southern Counties.

Dork

Highlander's MPD
Liberal Democrats who try to redistribute our earnings.

You see, stupid people cost more to maintain. They are more dependent, cry victim first, create huge wasteful programs that cripple enterprise and punish achievement....

Doubt me? Why does Hillary want Felons to vote?--which way will they vote?

So:

Electronically create "Democrat User Taxes" to be applied after people leave the polling booths.

Not based on wealth, Consumption, Inheritance...just: if they voted Democrat: have them pay MORE.

I couldn't said it better myself. I agree!

ylexot

Super Genius

Nope. Actually, I just bought something a little while ago...no tax. You are supposed to pay the tax by filling out forms and giving money to the state, but I've never heard of anyone actually doing that.

BTW, for those that use Buy.com...which is based in MD...if you use the Google checkout, MD tax is not applied :whistle:

AndyMarquisLIVE

Nope. Actually, I just bought something a little while ago...no tax. You are supposed to pay the tax by filling out forms and giving money to the state, but I've never heard of anyone actually doing that.

BTW, for those that use Buy.com...which is based in MD...if you use the Google checkout, MD tax is not applied :whistle:
Thanks for the heads up. :howdy:

T

toppick08

and we keep hearing "it's ONLY 1%"...

No, it's a 20% increase in taxes, and he is STILL cutting programs, and monies to the Southern Counties.

Wait till they tax food ........next year...

Just bought a mixer from them and no sales tax. I don't know if there is a Kitchenaid store in MD though. Or if there even is a Kitchenaid store.
BTW, what forms? :lmao: