Second DWI

W

WhoCares

You didn't learn the first time around. Wow...

Get a good lawyer, and hope for the best. However, I have zero sympathy for you because innocent people are killed by people who say "I am not drunk, I just had one" As they stumble out of the car.

camily

Peace
I think people are being a little hard here. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with drinking and driving but if you have a drinking problem it is not that easy to just "not drive". They have a problem and are not thinking clearly when they choose to drive. The help needs to begin with themselves by seeking treatment ON THEIR OWN. Court ordered treatment rarely works. You have to be ready to stop. If it was that easy to just stop doing a destructive behavior, society would be a completely different place. Why doesn't a smoker "just stop" smoking? Why doesn't a drug addict "just stop" doing drugs? Because, it is an addiction. I have had DUI's. Two as a matter of fact, and an illegal consumption. Possession charges, failure to appear, false statemant, and a slew of other charges. Guess what? They didn't teach me anything but how to be sneakier. My descision to stop was my own when my life started to fall apart in a big way. This person is hurting and has already beaten themselves up more than any of you ever can. Believe me. They have told themselves they won't do it again, but lo and behold they find themselves doing it. They hate themselves again. The cycle repeats itself. It's not an easy fix. That's why it's an addiction.

beerlover

Addiction is not an excuse. I drink just as much as anyone, and I don't drink and drive. It is way to easy to call a cab, call a friend, or just wait. It's called respect. For the law, for yourself, and for the other people who share the roads.

I have a friend in jail in PA for his second DUI and he got one year in county prison. He deserved it, too.

I hope you go to jail so you can learn your lesson. We don't need repeat offenders on the roads no matter how sorry they are or how long it's been since their last one. Slaps on the wrist don't work and funerals are no fun.

SoMDGirl42

Any sentence he may receive is a lighter sentence than what I would give him if he hurts or kills anyone in my family from drinking and driving :whistle: and I'm not playing

Tina2001aniT

I think people are being a little hard here. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with drinking and driving but if you have a drinking problem it is not that easy to just "not drive". They have a problem and are not thinking clearly when they choose to drive. The help needs to begin with themselves by seeking treatment ON THEIR OWN. Court ordered treatment rarely works. You have to be ready to stop. If it was that easy to just stop doing a destructive behavior, society would be a completely different place. Why doesn't a smoker "just stop" smoking? Why doesn't a drug addict "just stop" doing drugs? Because, it is an addiction. I have had DUI's. Two as a matter of fact, and an illegal consumption. Possession charges, failure to appear, false statemant, and a slew of other charges. Guess what? They didn't teach me anything but how to be sneakier. My descision to stop was my own when my life started to fall apart in a big way. This person is hurting and has already beaten themselves up more than any of you ever can. Believe me. They have told themselves they won't do it again, but lo and behold they find themselves doing it. They hate themselves again. The cycle repeats itself. It's not an easy fix. That's why it's an addiction.

:bigwhoop:

Then he needs to sit in jail until he makes that decision to stop, until he is "ready", I sure as hell don't want him out on the roads with the opportunity to kill innocent people just because of his addiction.

camily

Peace
:bigwhoop:

Then he needs to sit in jail until he makes that decision to stop, until he is "ready", I sure as hell don't want him out on the roads with the opportunity to kill innocent people just because of his addiction.

I'm not saying it's an excuse. There is no excuse for drinking and driving. I'm just saying that he/she needs to make the descision themselves. Nothing else will work.

SoMDGirl42

I had heard that I would be looking at maybe 10 days, but I can't miss that much time from work.

Hope you don't hold a security clearance. You may be looking at missing alot more than 10 days from your job. If you hold a clearance, you must report it as adverse information. Realitly check.

Jameo

What?!
I know someone that has had FIVE DWIs. He did jail time and lost his licenses for 5-6 yrs. Still drinks like a fish and just recently got his licenses back. :ohwell:

USWWarrior

It's a Jeep thang!
60 days suspended to 10 two years probation. Well that is what I guess they will do.:whistle:

Yep, I am guessing 60 days, suspension dependent on Judges mood, 2-3 yrs probation. Yes, work release is an option IF your employer supports you and fills out the paperwork. They may decide to just fire you then you will have all the time in the world to pay your debt to society.

Of course, after that, you must deal with MVA.

I would recommend volunteering for the device you put in your car. In order to drive it, you must blow into it to check your alcohol level. If the machine thinks it is too high, the car will not start.

As far as the other posts, I will not judge. I will only look at this as black and white. You broke the law, you get what you deserve.

The problem of alcohol and you is not for me to intervene. It is up to you, family and associates. But hopefully, you will see the need to correct a problem.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!

It's understanding that they feel bad and addiction is hard. You think they are beating themselves up now, wait till they end up hurting or killing someone.

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly
I know someone that has had FIVE DWIs. He did jail time and lost his licenses for 5-6 yrs. Still drinks like a fish and just recently got his licenses back. :ohwell:

People only do what they are either made to do - which is only short term (like in that man's case) or what they want to do which can bring about a life altering change. I work in insurance and people come in doing 2 things: 1. They tell us they have nothing on their driving record - we pull it and it has 2 DWI's, 1 Suspended, 2 Driving on a Suspended ETC. & 2. They scream and cry because their insurance is sky high. Moral of the story? They deny what they have done wrong and they don't want to accept the consequences of their actions. Until somebody does that they aren't ready to make the change and they won't.

beamher

I'm doing the AA classes. My last one was about 5 years ago and I did get any jail time, but now I am really worried. I know what I did was really stupid. How much time do you think I am looking at? I am worried about losing my job.

you should be worried that you could have hurt or killed an innocent person!! i'm tired of people wanting sympathy for doing something stupid!

BernieP

Resident PIA
Personally I thnk it's still treated as a joke, even by the judges. 10 days, nights and weekends is a joke. 30 days inside. No pretending. If they want to do the 30 in a detox program, fine But none of this work release crap. Plus a one year suspension.

beamher

quote from other thread

Motorcycle with husband and wife. Both killed. Guy that hit them was drunk and drugged up. Didn't even know he hit anyone.

if this is true -- :duel: tell us, "what do you expect the judge to do?"

somdprincess

The one and only Princess

Yes, I agree with that too. Very well said

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
I would recommend volunteering for the device you put in your car. In order to drive it, you must blow into it to check your alcohol level. If the machine thinks it is too high, the car will not start.

That was the best thing I ever did to break my habbit of stopping off after work for just a beer or two. :yahoo:

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
I don't agree with it. Nobody forces you to get behind the wheel after you drink. If someone has a true drinking problem, they can choose to stay home and get sloshed.

There is a lot more dynamics to this type of problem. It makes a very simple decision seem very difficult.

somdprincess

The one and only Princess
I don't agree with it. Nobody forces you to get behind the wheel after you drink. If someone has a true drinking problem, they can choose to stay home and get sloshed.

I understand what you are saying but these people are not thinking rationally like you or me. All they know is the pain of their addiction and once drunk or doped up all reasoning is basically gone.

Having worked in a rehab before I could not take it anymore and went into the DoD I have seen too much.