Shaving Supplies (traditional)

Forkian

:dork:
I'm a DE razor shaver. I've always had to order my supplies online (shaving soap, knots etc...). Just curious who around here sells this kind of stuff in Calvert County area?

maybe you should just go back to your "shaving community" and buy your crap there!

steppinthrax

Alum blocks are made from potassium alum and are a mild astringent and antiseptic, usually used over the whole face during your post-shave ritual, before applying your aftershave or balm. Styptic pencils are made of some other substance - they're opaque white as opposed to alum's semi-transparency - and are used for sealing up any larger-than-weeper-sized cut that's still bleeding post-shave. Styptics are effective at that, but at the cost of a major burning sensation.

Hmmm..

I've always been told to to wet the Alum bar and put it on a cut. Yeah you can use it as a balm.

GregV814

well, you are not familiar with the blog I have about re-purposing watermelon and grapefruit rinds...not to mention what to do with discarded theatre tickets...I am shopping the idea with the History Channel....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I am impressed with a man who takes his shaving seriously and treats it as a luxury, with nice soaps and different blades. :yay:

steppinthrax

And people think I'm a geek because I know about different goose decoys and shotguns. You recreational shavers have me beat.

There are shaving communities "badger and blade" to continue the older style shaving that professional barbers used to do years ago. Nowadays everything is throw away Mach 3 Mach 5 cartridges. It's making a comeback because cartridges are 14 a pop whereas a pack of high quality blades will set you back a few bucks! You get more shaves out of a pack of blades than with cartridges. People are reverting back to DE shaving and straight razor shaving.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
There are shaving communities "badger and blade" to continue the older style shaving that professional barbers used to do years ago. Nowadays everything is throw away Mach 3 Mach 5 cartridges. It's making a comeback because cartridges are 14 a pop whereas a pack of high quality blades will set you back a few bucks! You get more shaves out of a pack of blades than with cartridges. People are reverting back to DE shaving and straight razor shaving.

Well, Foxhound does use a double edge razor and uses a shave cup with a badger hair brush and shave soap. He said where he gets his supplies and you were not impressed. Different strokes. :shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
According to someone here this makes me a Metrosexual??

While I too scoff at girly metrosexual men, I'm a huge fan of good grooming products and don't understand why more men don't enjoy them. Be a man, but there's no need for savagery.

Blister

That's the politically correct term. I would bet most men would use a different name when not in mixed company. Grow a pair, quit plucking your eyebrows, and get a bic disposable and a bar of Lava and take care of business.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
treatyoself.png

Treat Yo Self

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
The Art of Shaving in the Annapolis Mall. https://www.westfield.com/annapolis/stores/all-stores/the-art-of-shaving/46850 My doctor is in Annapolis and every 6 months or so I go to the mall and get my son his 6-month supply of shaving gear. He loves the stuff. A tad expensive, but he swears by it. It's a very unique store.

I offered that suggestion in an earlier post and the OP called it overpriced ####. Foxhound got his original supplies there and he buys replacement items locally. He likes the shave he gets with a DE, but isn't particular about all the supplies having to be a certain brand. He gets blade. locally. We've even been various places on vacation where he'll buy a shave soap that I like or whathaveyou.

steppinthrax

While I too scoff at girly metrosexual men, I'm a huge fan of good grooming products and don't understand why more men don't enjoy them. Be a man, but there's no need for savagery.

Male shaving is the epitome of masculinity. Most male shaving products/terms have masculine names and tones (i.e. badger and blade, edwin jagger, omega, mueller etc...). Most products don't contain a fragrance, if they do it's again masculine.

steppinthrax

I offered that suggestion in an earlier post and the OP called it overpriced ####. Foxhound got his original supplies there and he buys replacement items locally. He likes the shave he gets with a DE, but isn't particular about all the supplies having to be a certain brand. He gets blade. locally. We've even been various places on vacation where he'll buy a shave soap that I like or whathaveyou.

Most of the items at Art of Shaving are low quality products with the "Art of Shaving" branding. I've looked at their brushes etc, they look like those 2.00 Chinese brushes (ebay) that have been stained. Example, my Edwin Jagger DElbl runs circles around anything they have in there. It was only 30 bucks online.