Shaving Supplies (traditional)

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Most of the items at Art of Shaving are low quality products with the "Art of Shaving" branding. I've looked at their brushes etc, they look like those 2.00 Chinese brushes (ebay) that have been stained. Example, my Edwin Jagger DElbl runs circles around anything they have in there. It was only 30 bucks online.

As I said, about 3 times- he got his original products there. He purchases his replacement supplies in various and sundry places.

I'm sure your shaver is 300% better than anything else anywhere, so why come in to a public "non shaving community" forum asking for advice on where to purchase your supplies for it locally? You can't expect to get that quality here in the boonies. They are probably only available in super secret exclusive locations where you have to have a very exclusive top secret decoder ring code in order to purchase them. :yay:

You shouldn't really even be wasting your time with the hoi polloi on this forum. :drama:

RPMDAD

Damn, i feel like a real bum after reading this thread. I use a Gillette Mach 5, with Barbasol shave cream, and Brut after shave. It gets the facial hair off and i go through about 12 blades a year. I ask for the blades every year as a Christmas gift, and normally find them on sale for less than $18.00. I do have a styptic pencil. I am lucky, i normally only have to shave about 3 times a week.

GregV814

Damn, i feel like a real bum after reading this thread. I use a Gillette Mach 5, with Barbasol shave cream, and Brut after shave. It gets the facial hair off and i go through about 12 blades a year. I ask for the blades every year as a Christmas gift, and normally find them on sale for less than $18.00. I do have a styptic pencil. I am lucky, i normally only have to shave about 3 times a week.

Well, I accept you for that. See, you are NOT a progressive metro-sexual oddball that belongs in SoHo Manhattan or Takoma Park. If you ever watch Good Morning Washington, you will see a new face, that of KID OShey, an urban metro sexual hipster goofball like SteppininThrax.
Welcome to the flatulent breed of men that fart and burp at will and drive a dilapidated car with a manual transmission.

steppinthrax

As I said, about 3 times- he got his original products there. He purchases his replacement supplies in various and sundry places.

I'm sure your shaver is 300% better than anything else anywhere, so why come in to a public "non shaving community" forum asking for advice on where to purchase your supplies for it locally? You can't expect to get that quality here in the boonies. They are probably only available in super secret exclusive locations where you have to have a very exclusive top secret decoder ring code in order to purchase them. :yay:

You shouldn't really even be wasting your time with the hoi polloi on this forum. :drama:

Yeah, super secret locations such as ebay?

Reason for asking this questions. My thought since we are in the country, there are some "old world" barber shops in the area that sells this type of stuff. Apparently there really isn't any.... Also, this thread went completely derailed into insults and insinuations....

Last edited:

steppinthrax

I used to shave like that for a long time. Mach 5 and the "Great Value Barbasol". My father shaved with cartridges. I also used to shave against the grain (ATG). But at 14 bucks per 5 blades, you can go DE and get a pack of 5 blades for 2 - 3 dollars. That pack will last you most of the year...

There is nothing super expensive or "sophisticated" by shaving this way. It's just cheaper in the long run and you get a higher quality shave, with more control...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

You know, there's Target and there's Sephora. There's Benefit and there's Cover Girl. Neither is right or wrong, they're just different and one is more of a treat, a small luxury. I don't think nice shaving products makes a man foo foo, it just means that he's trying to get some enjoyment out of a mundane grooming task. Nothing wrong with that, and you can have your luxury and treat in a different way.

:shrug:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I've gotten a few straight razor shaves at a barber shop when I was in Europe. Nothing like a really close shave. I like the whole hot towels and the brush applied soap that turns into shaving cream. That is where I first was introduced to the alum bar. It gives your face a great feel after a shave.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
You know, there's Target and there's Sephora. There's Benefit and there's Cover Girl. Neither is right or wrong, they're just different and one is more of a treat, a small luxury. I don't think nice shaving products makes a man foo foo, it just means that he's trying to get some enjoyment out of a mundane grooming task. Nothing wrong with that, and you can have your luxury and treat in a different way.

yeah, but sex lasts longer than shaving. Or it should, anyway.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When OP said "shaving community" I thought of the forums I participate in where we talk about beauty things - hair, nails, makeup, etc. "Is the $30 mascara worth it?" That sort of thing. That's how I found out that my perfect brow makeup is e.l.f., which is $3 at Target. It's how I found out about nail stamping. So I pictured a forum where guys talk about shaving products in the same way. Not like that they have meetings and do a Mary Kay makeover, but just guy talk about the only real grooming thing all men have in common.

Bann

PREMO Member

Of course.

I will say in my own defense, however, that when I offered the OP some answers about where Foxhound purchased his supplies, they were met with a sarcastic post basically belittling the products which FH was purchasing locally. I did actually try to appeal to the OP that all products don't have to be high priced to be good quality or have a quality performance, or whatever, but that wasn't really good enough according to his posts.

BUT!! I happen to like what FH uses when he shaves, how it feels, and how he smells, so that's all that matters. :yay:

littlelady

God bless the USA
Of course.

I will say in my own defense, however, that when I offered the OP some answers about where Foxhound purchased his supplies, they were met with a sarcastic post basically belittling the products which FH was purchasing locally. I did actually try to appeal to the OP that all products don't have to be high priced to be good quality or have a quality performance, or whatever, but that wasn't really good enough according to his posts.

BUT!! I happen to like what FH uses when he shaves, how it feels, and how he smells, so that's all that matters. :yay:

I couldn't resist a reply to you about this topic. You got all butt hurt in this thread and called the OP a d*ck; when I see nothing said that should have set you off. Are you freaking kidding; it is a thread about shaving! But, you managed to insert that you were on the way to Myrtle Beach. So, you were on the road to a vacay when you replied? I can remember when I was on vacay in the past, and participated on the forum, and that you couldn't understand why I would be posting while on vacay. Just wanted to point that out. You really have no rules, do you? I am surprised you didn't somehow include your stay in Italy in your post, as well. Please, please, get over yourself. That's all. :lol:

To stay on topic. I think it is really cool that a man takes the time to shave in the old fashioned way. Too many old fashioned ways are going by the way side because the world lives in the fast lane, now. I think when America stopped dressing for dinner and gathering together around the table as a family is when it started going bad.

Last edited:

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
I couldn't resist a reply to you about this topic. You got all butt hurt in this thread and called the OP a d*ck; when I see nothing said that should have set you off. Are you freaking kidding; it is a thread about shaving! But, you managed to insert that you were on the way to Myrtle Beach. So, you were on the road to a vacay when you replied? I can remember when I was on vacay in the past, and participated on the forum, and that you couldn't understand why I would be posting while on vacay. Just wanted to point that out. You really have no rules, do you? I am surprised you didn't somehow include your stay in Italy in your post, as well. Please, please, get over yourself. That's all. :lol:

To stay on topic. I think it is really cool that a man takes the time to shave in the old fashioned way. Too many old fashioned ways are going by the way side because the world lives in the fast lane, now. I think when America stopped dressing for dinner and gathering together around the table as a family is when it started going bad.

Some may think it was odd that you would take the time to post here while on vacation because you don't seem to have many friends here. Bann's d*ck made me :lmao: out loud.

BTW Hubby finally shaved his biker goatee off this weekend and I am THRILLED! I hated that thing. :dead:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

:yeahthat:

I don't mind a little metro in a man. I mean, I don't want his beauty routine to be longer than mine, but my husband is military and shaves daily..a little investment in the nicer stuff is a matter of comfort too. I have about 495746354 face creams, lotions and masks. He can have a silver tipped badger brush and handmade shaving soap if he wants :lmao:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

I don't mind a little metro in a man. I mean, I don't want his beauty routine to be longer than mine, but my husband is military and shaves daily..a little investment in the nicer stuff is a matter of comfort too. I have about 495746354 face creams, lotions and masks. He can have a silver tipped badger brush and handmade shaving soap if he wants :lmao:

You got married?

Bann

PREMO Member
Some may think it was odd that you would take the time to post here while on vacation because you don't seem to have many friends here. Bann's d*ck made me :lmao: out loud.

BTW Hubby finally shaved his biker goatee off this weekend and I am THRILLED! I hated that thing. :dead:

:lmao:

So, we got back from vacay yesterday and I looked at the FH's DE shaving razor - it's a Merkur made in Germany and the brush is made of badger hair (it's ok- honeybadger don't care!) - both of which he got at The Shaving Co. :yay:

steppinthrax

Thank You

You said much of what I wanted to say....

steppinthrax

LOL,

I don't wear or care about designer clothes. I don't apply lotion or have various cosmetic products. I'm not meticulous about my looks or what I really wear. Hell last night I was in junk clothes applying sealant on my driveway!! But yes, I agree with you on men's shaving...