Shaving Supplies (traditional)

sparkyaclown

I hadn't realized how many people were switching back to the old way. I was a former Mach3 user until I just started looking at how much I spent on cartridges a year. I picked up a Muhle razor and a nice badger hair brush for fairly cheap online. I also found a place that did a sampler pack of different brand blades and tried them all. You really don't realize how much of a gimmick all those extra blades are until you try out shaving with a DE razor. I ended up settling on Astras and found a case of 100 for $18 4 years ago and I'm still not even halfway through them.

I initially searched locally also but found nothing but really low quality junk. I still have 4 of the 5 blades I bought at Walmart to try 5 years ago. I'm really not sure why I still have them, it was like shaving with sandpaper. The closest thing to local I found was the Art of Shaving in Annapolis and I agree it is way overpriced. I like Taylor of Old Bond Street for soaps which is half the price of Art of Shaving's soap, comes in more varieties and I think lathers better. Unfortunately, just like the blades, no one around here sells it.

Hannibal

Chalk me up as another old school convert. A couple Xmas' ago, the wife bought me a nice razor set complete with cream tin and brush. It's so much nicer than disposables or similar Mach 3 type setups. Cleaner shave and very little (really none) irritation. Plus I like the shave cream she picked out.

steppinthrax

I hadn't realized how many people were switching back to the old way. I was a former Mach3 user until I just started looking at how much I spent on cartridges a year. I picked up a Muhle razor and a nice badger hair brush for fairly cheap online. I also found a place that did a sampler pack of different brand blades and tried them all. You really don't realize how much of a gimmick all those extra blades are until you try out shaving with a DE razor. I ended up settling on Astras and found a case of 100 for $18 4 years ago and I'm still not even halfway through them.

I initially searched locally also but found nothing but really low quality junk. I still have 4 of the 5 blades I bought at Walmart to try 5 years ago. I'm really not sure why I still have them, it was like shaving with sandpaper. The closest thing to local I found was the Art of Shaving in Annapolis and I agree it is way overpriced. I like Taylor of Old Bond Street for soaps which is half the price of Art of Shaving's soap, comes in more varieties and I think lathers better. Unfortunately, just like the blades, no one around here sells it.

OH, NO

You know what this makes you.... A METROSEXUAL!!!!

lol

steppinthrax

:lmao:

So, we got back from vacay yesterday and I looked at the FH's DE shaving razor - it's a Merkur made in Germany and the brush is made of badger hair (it's ok- honeybadger don't care!) - both of which he got at The Shaving Co. :yay:

To be honest, seems like you should get you're husband on here talking. You have no idea what you're doing or talking about.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
To be honest, seems like you should get you're husband on here talking. You have no idea what you're doing or talking about.

Really? I read the name of the manufacturer - Merkur - made in Germany on the shaver handle. The words pure badger hair were embossed on the brush handle.

OOOPS, I said Shaving Co. I meant to say The Art of Shaving, which is where he bought those two items. I stated that several times in this thread. I know where he bought them and what he bought because I was there.

What do I not know?

Foxhound

Finishing last
My wife is absolutely correct. I do use a double edge razor just like my father did. I do have a badger hair brush that I use to lather up in a soap cup. I also purchased my last set of blades from the Rite Aide in Prince Frederick (pretty sure anyway, might have been one of the other pharmacies I stop at on occasion). They are Gillette blades and shave just fine. Not sure the soap puck brand but lathers up just fine. I'm not too worried about brand name as long as it gives me a decent shave. As for the metro-sexual comment, if you weren't so snobby about your replies when someone offers an answer to your questions you might not alienate people who were just trying to help you out.