So what do you think is killing social media?

black dog

Free America
Hmmmm... never heard my kind called hill monkeys. :lmao:

My Stepmom... Who raised me. Was born and raised in Page, WV. ( Pop + - 200 ) In company housing. She's now 80, I get the crooked finger and a sly grin from her when I call her or one of her brothers, aunts or a cousin a hill monkey..

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Me neither.

Also, a lot of the threads don't interest me. There has been many a time that I don't even look at one unless it grows legs. Then I might pop in to see whats up. I tend to lose interest with incessant bickering.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I thought so, but outside of her particular observation nothing indicates a drop off in participation.

And yet that does not coincide with what I'm personally seeing and hearing from others. Perhaps people are visiting those sites, but they aren't posting and participating. I know a lot of people who get on and play the games, but that's all they do. Social media was intended for interaction - hence the "social" part.

Also, their sample size is tiny.
http://www.pewinternet.org/2018/03/01/social-media-use-2018-methodology/

2,002 adults, 18 years of age or older, living in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia (500 respondents were interviewed on a landline telephone, and 1,502 were interviewed on a cellphone, including 1,071 who had no landline telephone)

That's not a very big sample, not to mention that phone surveys aren't terribly reliable and are prone to all kinds of outliers. I'd be curious what Facebook's actual analytics looks like. How many are real people and how many are spambots? How many are trolls or shills? How much time are they spending on the site during any given visit? That would tell you what's really driving their traffic.

Is anyone but me seeing a distinct downturn in social media participation?

black dog

Free America
And yet that does not coincide with what I'm personally seeing and hearing from others. Perhaps people are visiting those sites, but they aren't posting and participating. I know a lot of people who get on and play the games, but that's all they do. Social media was intended for interaction - hence the "social" part.

Also, their sample size is tiny.
http://www.pewinternet.org/2018/03/01/social-media-use-2018-methodology/

2,002 adults, 18 years of age or older, living in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia (500 respondents were interviewed on a landline telephone, and 1,502 were interviewed on a cellphone, including 1,071 who had no landline telephone)

That's not a very big sample, not to mention that phone surveys aren't terribly reliable and are prone to all kinds of outliers. I'd be curious what Facebook's actual analytics looks like. How many are real people and how many are spambots? How many are trolls or shills? How much time are they spending on the site during any given visit? That would tell you what's really driving their traffic.

Is anyone but me seeing a distinct downturn in social media participation?

Does Social Media cycle up and down throughout the year like a seasonal business?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Another thing that really bugs me is all the posters that don't use the multi-quote feature.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Does Social Media cycle up and down throughout the year like a seasonal business?

Typically you see a slight decrease over the warmer months because people are doing other things. Crummy outside lends itself to sitting inside roaming the internet. But I've seen a fairly dramatic decrease in social media use over the last year and a half. A great number of my personal FB friends and people I've interacted with on other social media say they're "taking a break" because of all the negativity, which coincides with the 2016 election (whether or not that is the direct cause).

So now the light has come on and maybe that's what it is...

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I like the negativity. It’s better than a Blake Edwards Thriller or a Stephen King Comedy.

black dog

Free America
Typically you see a slight decrease over the warmer months because people are doing other things. Crummy outside lends itself to sitting inside roaming the internet. But I've seen a fairly dramatic decrease in social media use over the last year and a half. A great number of my personal FB friends and people I've interacted with on other social media say they're "taking a break" because of all the negativity, which coincides with the 2016 election (whether or not that is the direct cause).

So now the light has come on and maybe that's what it is...

Ok, my main business is very seasonal. As late fall crosses the country orders for me just fall off a cliff, but normally that's expected when you are a vendor for a seasonal industry.

Did social media take a hit when housing tanked a few years ago?

I was down 60-70% when housing crashed and I had to venture into other areas I understood to stay afloat. It worked, and with having a few different niches now it works even better.