So what do you think is killing social media?

stgislander

PREMO Member
My Stepmom... Who raised me. Was born and raised in Page, WV. ( Pop + - 200 ) In company housing. She's now 80, I get the crooked finger and a sly grin from her when I call her or one of her brothers, aunts or a cousin a hill monkey..

Down near Beckley. That's what you call "down in the hollars".

black dog

Free America
Down near Beckley. That's what you call "down in the hollars".

Yep..lol... I've been asked before when talking about Page and many other small towns in WV,. Which house again and was it on the east or west side of the crick...
Great hunting...

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
The U25 crowd that FB is losing are on IG or Snap more than likely. I still spend time on FB since I have 2 pages I'm admin of plus my own. I lurk on here much more than post since a lot of the fun and general BS-ing has fallen off only to be replaced by pee pee contests.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
ScreenHide.jpg

littlelady

God bless the USA
For members that don’t know how it works...

If you want to see deleted posts, log out as a member, and read as a guest. The only forum you can’t see in that mode is Chit Chat. Easy, peasy! :wink:

littlelady

God bless the USA
As far as the topic, it has been well known for a while that social media is de-socializing humans. People are less inclined to talk in person because they can talk on media. It is scary when we see people walk into poles, ponds, and fall off the sidewalk because they are looking at their phones. Also, the decline in the health of our children is because they are given social media devices as babysitters.

This forum is the only social media that I have ever been part of in my 63 years. I can see the affect it has by seeing what is posted here. I do participate, so I can’t complain. However, there are some very vicious people here that would not say what they do, if it was in person.

For, the most part, this forum is informative, helpful, and fun, and I have made some good friends. That is why I am still here. Although, I did have to separate from my twin, Pollyanna, in order to stay here. :lol: Happy foruming, y’all.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I'm noticing a distinct drop off in participation across all social media platforms. These forums, Twitter, Facebook, Quora, Reddit, TripAdvisor, Yelp, Buzzfeed, Amazon reviews...

My guess is that people are tired of talking to strangers and the various entities have ruined the internet and made social interaction not fun anymore. I see a lot of what I call "bot posts" pushing a political agenda, advertising, and fake news, but the people who are clearly real humans seem to be dwindling. As the internet gets more and more commercialized, you can't be sure if you're reading/interacting with a real person or a paid shill.

As we're bombarded more and more with fake news, fake memes, shills and spammers, we've become cynical and mistrustful. Several people on here have complained that they're sick of politics, let's talk about something else, yet they don't start topics that interest them. It's more that they want to be entertained, not necessarily initiate or participate. I see a crap ton of people on here everyday, yet they lurk and don't actively participate.

Thoughts? What is your participation level on social media (not just this site, but all of them)?

There is a lot of what you mention. I know I'm starting to get turned off from Facebook because it's turning into something that is flooded with extremist political posts, fake news and false accusations. I miss the days when it was about keeping up with the latest happening of friends, relatives, old classmates, former co-workers, old Navy buddies, etc. Now I see "friends" who post nothing but political crap, much of it made up.

This_person

President Trump is the only one who has it correct.

[FACEBOOK]https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FUnbiasedAmerica%2Fvideos%2F799589016893762%2F[/FACEBOOK]

P.S. - this is why Facebook is losing people's interest.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
President Trump is the only one who has it correct. [FACEBOOK]https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FUnbiasedAmerica%2Fvideos%2F799589016893762%2F[/FACEBOOK] P.S. - this is why Facebook is losing people's interest.
:lol:

SamSpade

There is a lot of what you mention. I know I'm starting to get turned off from Facebook because it's turning into something that is flooded with extremist political posts, fake news and false accusations.

I adjust my feed to avoid most of that.

And sadly, I have completely cut off SOME relatives who won't post anything else.
I didn't friend them on Facebook to hear their politics. I want to know about THEM.

I've learned something recently, that because of the sheer volume of posts in your feed, Facebook will adjust
what appears based on your responses. If you like or respond to a post, it is more likely to keep that person
near the top of your feed. If you typically ignore them, it will drop to the bottom.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I know I'm starting to get turned off from Facebook .....

I just unfollowed / liked EVERY Political Feed I had been watching and shifted to other content [gaming ... etc]
... as well as un-following 99% of my 'friends'

If I want to see what they are up to, I'll pop over to their page and check it out

Last edited:

SamSpade

If I want to see what they are up to, I'll pop over to their page and check it out

That's what I do - I have a niece who wore the pussy hat in that parade, hates everything Republican or Trump -
Has actually MET him and Ivanka - and her reaction was, well, they SEEM nice in person but -

Usually ties just about every racially motivated incident in the nation - to Trump.
I just got tired of the endless drumbeat.

I pop on over from time to time to hear about her husband - but because they don't have or plan to have kids,
all I got for days was will the rest of the world just shut up about Mother's Day - and rants about how bad her parents
(my sister) were to her, and endless narcissistic crap about how empowered she is - and then more Trump stuff.

But - I still care - she's family, and I remember the little blue eyed girl in bows and dresses she once was.
She can be very sweet, but she's too caught up in herself.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
That's what I do - I have a niece who wore the pussy hat in that parade, hates everything Republican or Trump -
Has actually MET him and Ivanka - and her reaction was, well, they SEEM nice in person but -

Usually ties just about every racially motivated incident in the nation - to Trump.
I just got tired of the endless drumbeat.

I pop on over from time to time to hear about her husband - but because they don't have or plan to have kids,
all I got for days was will the rest of the world just shut up about Mother's Day - and rants about how bad her parents
(my sister) were to her, and endless narcissistic crap about how empowered she is - and then more Trump stuff.

But - I still care - she's family, and I remember the little blue eyed girl in bows and dresses she once was.
She can be very sweet, but she's too caught up in herself.

Maybe it's best that she doesn't multiply after all.

PsyOps

Pixelated
My social media participation has dropped dramatically mostly because of you annoying, ugly, nasty, pathetic, low-IQ, grammar-challenged, morons. Okay, not Trans. I like her. She makes me laugh. A lot. A whole lot. I like to laugh. Laughter is good medicine. Trans is medicine for my soul.

The rest of your morons can go straight to hell. Especially YOU Vrai! Oh, and GURPS.... you too. Go to hell. Straight to hell. Don't pass go, don't collect $200. And MR. Straight to hell with you, you ignorati.

:biggrin: