St Mary's can't find teachers?

LateApex

Show me evidence that the intent of recruiting in Jamaica isn't to change the cultural makeup of the teachers? The article says that is what is being done as it is a goal of Ed Weiland's. It's there in black and white and that is what I am commenting on.

In an effort to find teachers for hard-to-fill positions, St. Mary’s public school system is extending its search outside of the country’s borders.

It also offers a good opportunity to find teachers for areas like secondary math and science as well as special education, school human resource personnel said; vacancies in these areas are hardest to fill every year.

The areas of most need can be hard to fill even during regional recruiting trips to Pennsylvania, the Carolinas and other nearby states.

Q.E.D.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
If the article said that and only that it would be one thing but you selectively choosing to disregard the remainder of what was written ignores what the intent is, at least what I see it is. Which is that the goal of the HR department of the SMCBOE is trying to have the educators more closely resemble the cultural makeup of the student population, not just simply filling the hard to fill positions.

Teaching is teaching and certified teachers should have had experience well beyond secondary science and math to even be able to teach at all and as such they should be able to teach those courses as well as any other.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I would never consider the SMCPS "top notch". If you want to say they are on or above the norm, that would be accurate but also not something to be terribly proud of.

The school system faces several problems in recruiting teachers.
1. pay
2. locale
3. mandated diversity.

1. Pay: based on something I read in yesterdays paper the pay for a teacher in St. Mary's county is not out of line with a number of districts, then again these are not the "top notch" school systems you want to compare yourself to. When you look at the surroundling area, the pay for a teacher in St. Mary's is not attractive.
2. Why would a young, single individual want to relocate to St. Mary's Co? Can they find good, affordable housing on their salary?
3. The state of Maryland is anal about it's diversity numbers, both for students and employees. What does that mean for SMCPS? If the state hold true to form, they will hold the lack of a diverse workforce against the school, read they will not give them grants etc - $$
4. I know, a new one. Unlike a lot of areas, SMCPS don't really have dedicated source of funding. The primary "source" is the county governemnt. The school board can vote on a budget, but in the end it's the county commisioners who provide the funds. They (SMCPS) can also apply to the state for grants and other funds (capital improvements). In some states, the schools raise their own revenue via taxes. The local school board has the power to levy taxes (within state law). Additionally the state will proide funding but it's done a formula based on number os students. It's an amount that school board can estimate with some accuracy for the purposes of their budget.

LateApex

If the article said that and only that it would be one thing but you selectively choosing to disregard the remainder of what was written ignores what the intent is, at least what I see it is. Which is that the goal of the HR department of the SMCBOE is trying to have the educators more closely resemble the cultural makeup of the student population, not just simply filling the hard to fill positions.

Teaching is teaching and certified teachers should have had experience well beyond secondary science and math to even be able to teach at all and as such they should be able to teach those courses as well as any other.

I don't know about you Ken, but I was taught in school that you write in the first paragraph - your point - and what you are trying to accomplish with your writings.

In an effort to find teachers for hard-to-fill positions, St. Mary’s public school system is extending its search outside of the country’s borders.

This is what the article is about. It's about extending beyond the local area in efforts to fill the critical areas of need in our school systems.

That's what the article is about...

Ken King

PREMO Member
I don't know about you Ken, but I was taught in school that you write in the first paragraph - your point - and what you are trying to accomplish with your writings.

This is what the article is about. It's about extending beyond the local area in efforts to fill the critical areas of need in our school systems.

You're right you don't know about me, just as I don't know about you.

Well I was taught and have learned from experience that there are many points within any written piece and that the most significant are those pointed out in the title or headline.

And what I caught right at first glance was -

St. Mary’s turns to Jamaica to help recruit new teachers
Qualified minority applicants for math, science sought

BernieP

Resident PIA

You might want to consider this paragraph:
Drawing from the pool of Jamaican teachers certified as highly qualified aligns with a goal of St. Mary’s schools – increase minority recruitment. It also offers a good opportunity to find teachers for areas ...​
The search for the so called hard to find, is secondary. The reason for the trip is to increase their minority teacers.

LateApex

Drawing from the pool of Jamaican teachers certified as highly qualified aligns with a goal of St. Mary’s schools – increase minority recruitment. It also offers a good opportunity to find teachers for areas ...​
The search for the so called hard to find, is secondary. The reason for the trip is to increase their minority teacers.

Yes.. It aligns with A goal.. Meaning more than one goal..

The search for needed teachers is the primary goal...

As explained in the first paragraph in the piece...

If the piece were trying to convey that it's sole purpose is to increase minority teachers it would have stated:

In an effort to find minority teachers, St. Mary’s public school system is extending its search outside of the country’s borders.

NOT:

Last edited:

LateApex

Fine, completely ignore the second lead statement. Does the statement, "The light is on but no one is home" mean anything to you?

Does the statement:

"Fell out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down."

mean anything to you?

:eyebrow:

LateApex

Furthermore this only furthers my assertion:

The areas of most need can be hard to fill even during regional recruiting trips to Pennsylvania, the Carolinas and other nearby states.

Thus meaning they HAVE tried to find local teachers but just aren't successful - further necessitating the need to look elsewhere...

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Yes.. It aligns with A goal.. Meaning more than one goal..

The search for needed teachers is the primary goal...

As explained in the first paragraph in the piece...

If the piece were trying to convey that it's sole purpose is to increase minority teachers it would have stated:
NOT:

You're an idiot.
Seems like everybody but you sees this is about hiring minorities to fill "diversity" quotas, not about being unable to fill positions.

LateApex

You're an idiot.
Seems like everybody but you sees this is about hiring minorities to fill "diversity" quotas, not about being unable to fill positions.

So, you're saying that there are no need for teachers in the area?

Your idiocy even amazes me...

Do you just roll your face across the keyboard and hope that something intelligent comes out?

Or are you just too stupid to know that there is a need for teachers in the area?

And who cares where they get the teachers as long as they are qualified...

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
So, you're saying that there are no need for teachers in the area?

Your idiocy even amazes me...

Do you just roll your face across the keyboard and hope that something intelligent comes out?

Or are you just too stupid to know that there is a need for teachers in the area?

And who cares where they get the teachers as long as they are qualified...

You're a dumbazz and seem to have some need to believe that the county is not recruiting minority teachers and has not extended their search to Jamica in order to find MINORITY (i.e. black) applicants.
Feel free to believe what you want, but please don't pizz on my leg and then think you can convince me it's raining

LateApex

You're a dumbazz and seem to have some need to believe that the county is not recruiting minority teachers and has not extended their search to Jamica in order to find MINORITY (i.e. black) applicants.
Feel free to believe what you want, but please don't pizz on my leg and then think you can convince me it's raining

Okay...

So it's come to this level...

I see you're one of the inbred ones in this region.

Does it matter where they get teachers as long as they are qualified?

Ken King

PREMO Member
Apparently not smart enough...

Because if I were dangling at the top that means I DIDN'T fall out of the stupid tree...

:howdy:
No, the tree is still holding on to you because of your immense stupidity. I bet a hurricane couldn't knock you loose.

Do you think that the county would have to go to Jamaica to seek out candidates if it wasn't about cultural diversity? If it was simply about getting someone to accept the wages offered the county could probably obtain candidates from other systems in the nation that aren't paid as much.

You argue the points like a former Congressional candidate that frequented this site.