St Mary's can't find teachers?

sunman1_67

Okay...

So it's come to this level...

I see you're one of the inbred ones in this region.

Does it matter where they get teachers as long as they are qualified?

Notice to all inbreds in this region...LateApex just can't be reached!

(I must be an inbred, lmao!)

LateApex

No, the tree is still holding on to you because of your immense stupidity. I bet a hurricane couldn't knock you loose.

Do you think that the county would have to go to Jamaica to seek out candidates if it wasn't about cultural diversity? If it was simply about getting someone to accept the wages offered the county could probably obtain candidates from other systems in the nation that aren't paid as much.

You argue the points like a former Congressional candidate that frequented this site.

I guess those branches hit you REALLY hard on the way down, huh? Your stupidity is really showing...

Answer me this...

Does it matter where we get teachers as long as they are qualified?

Take if from someone who deals with the problem:

terbear1225 said:
as someone who is currently involved in the process of looking for new teachers, I can tell you first hand:

no one in their right mind would turn down a qualified candidate just because of their race! there are not enough people that want to teach to begin with, I can't imagine saying no to someone just because they happen to be the "wrong" color.

If it was simply about getting someone to accept the wages offered the county could probably obtain candidates from other systems in the nation that aren't paid as much.

Um.. I think they have tried Einstein...

The areas of most need can be hard to fill even during regional recruiting trips to Pennsylvania, the Carolinas and other nearby states. The Jamaica recruiting trip netted about two dozen candidates for the ‘‘short list” of potential hires, Dennie said.

Do you deny that the article clear clearly states this?

Your stupidity has no bounds...

THEY DON'T WANT TO COME HERE BECAUSE THERE IS NO INCENTIVE

Last edited:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Okay...

So it's come to this level...

I see you're one of the inbred ones in this region.

Does it matter where they get teachers as long as they are qualified?

You're an idiot, the article is about hiring MINORITY teachers to meet "diversity" quotas, not about hiring qualified applicants

LateApex

You're an idiot, the article is about hiring MINORITY teachers to meet "diversity" quotas, not about hiring qualified applicants

Bonehead.. It's right in the title..

Can you not read:

St. Mary’s turns to Jamaica to help recruit new teachers
Qualified minority applicants for math, science sought

In an effort to find teachers for hard-to-fill positions, St. Mary’s public school system is extending its search outside of the country’s borders.

Read it and try to comprehend it..

In an effort to find teachers for hard-to-fill positions

to find teachers for hard-to-fill positions

Last edited:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Bonehead.. It's right in the title..

Can you not read:
St. Mary’s turns to Jamaica to help recruit new teachers
Qualified minority applicants for math, science sought

Give it up dude, you're just being pathetic now.
You're like some guy standing on the corner at midnight trying to convince folks it's noon :lol:

LateApex

Give it up dude, you're just being pathetic now.

Pathetic...

I'm trying to reach your feeble little mind and face the issue at hand...

There is a shortage...

Plain and simple..

I could give a rat's ass where they find teachers.. As long as we get qualified teachers here..

Do you think it's wrong to get teachers here for the youth?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Pathetic...

I'm trying to reach your feeble little mind and face the issue at hand...

There is a shortage...

Plain and simple..

I could give a rat's ass where they find teachers.. As long as we get qualified teachers here..

Do you think it's wrong to get teachers here for the youth?

:killingme

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
I didn't even read this thread. The BOE needs to stop buying brand top of the line new vehicles every year, reduce their administrator costs and start spending $ on teachers and kids. I see their new vehicles every day and who drives them. It pisses me off.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I didn't even read this thread. The BOE needs to stop buying brand top of the line new vehicles every year, reduce their administrator costs and start spending $ on teachers and kids. I see their new vehicles every day and who drives them. It pisses me off.

And your kids are grown.

LateApex

I agree...

They should increase teacher's pay so that they can attract more teachers here.

That is the point I was trying to make.

Teachers need an incentive to come teach here...

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
I agree...

They should increase teacher's pay so that they can attract more teachers here.

That is the point I was trying to make.

Teachers need an incentive to come teach here...

The County Commissioners give the BOE $. Once it leaves the BOCC hands, they have NO control on how it is spent. I see a LOT of waste just in the vehicles they drive and who drives them. It's awful.

LateApex

The County Commissioners give the BOE $. Once it leaves the BOCC hands, they have NO control on how it is spent. I see a LOT of waste just in the vehicles they drive and who drives them. It's awful.

I'll be the first one to say that I want American's teaching our children.

I'll be the first one to say that they should INCREASE teacher pay so that they can attract the best and brightest.

But, if no one is willing to teach here, and there is a critical shortage, why is it such a bad thing to find people WILLING to come here to teach?

LateApex

You're an idiot.
Nobody is against hiring new teachers. The complaint is the need to meet minority quotas is causing them to seek applicants in foreign countries.

You're a moron...

They have tried...

Thus the recruiting trips to neighboring areas. There is still a need.

If you care to do a little research and just not talk out of your ass you'll see that they are trying:

MSTA: Critical Issues

http://www.marylandpublicschools.org/MSDE/divisions/leadership/programs/tstf/

No, but I guess you won't take the time to research, huh?

Last edited:

terbear1225

I'll be the first one to say that I want American's teaching our children.

I'll be the first one to say that they should INCREASE teacher pay so that they can attract the best and brightest.

But, if no one is willing to teach here, and there is a critical shortage, why is it such a bad thing to find people WILLING to come here to teach?

I think this is the key point. I'm not a huge fan of the idea of going to another country to hire teachers BUT there is a nation wide teacher shortage, meaning you can't just go to another state and recruit. that state is going to have the same shortage that we do. if you have to go outside the US to find sufficent qualified candidates and you want to increase diversity, jamaica is a logical choice. let's be realistic, you may find just as many qualified candidates in canada, but you're not going to find as much diversity.

bohman

let's be realistic, you may find just as many qualified candidates in canada, but you're not going to find as much diversity.

I won't even pretend to have read this whole thread, but I'll play devil's advocate anyway - what kind of "diversity" are you talking about? I've never gotten the impression that Jamaica was an especially diverse place. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that there are more varieties of ethnic backgrounds present in Canada.

LateApex

I think this is the key point. I'm not a huge fan of the idea of going to another country to hire teachers BUT there is a nation wide teacher shortage, meaning you can't just go to another state and recruit. that state is going to have the same shortage that we do. if you have to go outside the US to find sufficent qualified candidates and you want to increase diversity, jamaica is a logical choice. let's be realistic, you may find just as many qualified candidates in canada, but you're not going to find as much diversity.

I didn't think it was nation wide...

So, if the problem exists across the nation, where do we go to find more teachers?

All the posters in this thread seem to be against minorities so maybe we should go to Europe or Canada...

Because, God forbid, we can't have minorities teach our children...

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I didn't think it was nation wide...

So, if the problem exists across the nation, where do we go to find more teachers?

All the posters in this thread seem to be against minorities so maybe we should go to Europe or Canada...

Because, God forbid, we can't have minorities teach our children...

Who is against minorities? And let me ask, what happens once the Jamaicans get here and they decide to move on?

To get more and better teachers the solution is certainly not obvious, better pay or other incentives to create more teachers, free tuition for a contract of service, maybe no county taxes for those that teach. What else can be offered and then who picks up the tab?

Looking at an overview of the 2009 budget there is an increase of $10.6 million with no increase in FTEs (how can this be with a shortage). Though the employees will get a 4% COLA and a 2% increase for step/increment. One would think that with a total budget of $175 million the county could attract some damn fine teachers.

LateApex

Who is against minorities?
It seems a lot of posters are against minorities teaching here or they wouldn't be up in arms about trying to lure minorities here to teach.

And let me ask, what happens once the Jamaicans get here and they decide to move on?
How is that any different than other teachers who come to the area, don't like the pay, don't like the area, then move on?

To get more and better teachers the solution is certainly not obvious, better pay or other incentives to create more teachers, free tuition for a contract of service, maybe no county taxes for those that teach. What else can be offered and then who picks up the tab?
Not sure where the money comes from, but they better find it or our kids will not get the attention they deserve because the classes are over crowded.

Looking at an overview of the 2009 budget there is an increase of $10.6 million with no increase in FTEs (how can this be with a shortage). Though the employees will get a 4% COLA and a 2% increase for step/increment. One would think that with a total budget of $175 million the county could attract some damn fine teachers.
One would think huh? But it certainly isn't the case or else there wouldn't be a shortage.