St Mary's can't find teachers?

awpitt

Main Streeter
I didn't think it was nation wide...

So, if the problem exists across the nation, where do we go to find more teachers?

All the posters in this thread seem to be against minorities so maybe we should go to Europe or Canada...

Because, God forbid, we can't have minorities teach our children...
It's not so much the minorities folks have been posting about. It's the idea of recruiting form outside the US.

Can't have those farners!:sarcasm:

LateApex

It's not so much the minorities folks have been posting about. It's the idea of recruiting form outside the US.

Can't have those farners!:sarcasm:

I'd much rather have Americans getting paid to do jobs in America.

I'm the first person who will agree that outsourcing ANYTHING is not the way to go.

But, if this shortage is all across America where are we going to find these new teachers?

I wanted to see just how Maryland is trying to deal with this problem so I did a little research last night:

MSTA: Critical Issues
Another consequence of the teacher shortage is that Maryland must aggressively recruit teachers from out of state—a difficult task made worse by the fact that Maryland teacher salaries and pension lag behind neighbors like Pennsylvania, where retirees receive nearly twice the pension benefit of Maryland veterans.

People just don't have any incentive to come teach here.

Plain and simple...

foodcritic

So my next question is where is all the money going? The BOE's budget is a huge amount of money and they can't even give every high schooler books to take home. Each year the budget goes up by the millions yet I don't see them giving it to the teachers or the students. I think they just want to line their own pockets. And what really atounds me is that the parents are not in their complaining about it and trying to fight for their kids education. It seems they don't care as long as their child graduates regardless if they have learned anything from good teachers.

LateApex

So my next question is where is all the money going? The BOE's budget is a huge amount of money and they can't even give every high schooler books to take home. Each year the budget goes up by the millions yet I don't see them giving it to the teachers or the students. I think they just want to line their own pockets. And what really atounds me is that the parents are not in their complaining about it and trying to fight for their kids education. It seems they don't care as long as their child graduates regardless if they have learned anything from good teachers.

I don't even have children yet so I have no vested interest in the matter...

I just know that it's something that needs to be done or it's only going to get worse...

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
I think you need to try a little harder...

If you read the article and actually comprehend what you read - your statement above is false.

By stating these positions are hard to fill negates your point of contention.

Now, if it stated that these positions WEREN'T hard to fill, and that there are many many applicants willing to take these jobs, but they aren't filling them because they want to increase diversity then your assertion is valid.

Oh bullsh!t :smack:, I reject your reality and replace it with my own, comprehend that!!!

KayPee

Anyone right out of college in their early 20's begining a career would not be able to afford a house in SMC. :shrug:

Or rent? 4 years ago my daughter started teaching in St. Mary's county public schools with a starting salary of $35K. The lowest priced houses in the county at the time were about $175K and climbing. 5 times her salary. She moved to Panama City, FL for lower pay $30K and after 1 yr (about $32K per yr pay by then) found a 3 BR 2 bath rambler for $130K. Still a stretch but at least she could qualify. She rented an apartment down there about 1/2 mile from the beach for $600/mo. I am pretty sure that both of those prices in PC were quite a bit lower than SMC. So Pete you are right the county is not going to be able to attract young teachers at this rate, they are going to go elsewhere.