Stopped School Bus

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Conveniently forgot the initial "I have to get to work" statement when justifying why the bus was needed so close to her home and not at a bus stop more friendly to road travelers.
I see nothing convenient about it, I just didn't see it as relevant. I also didn't see her justifying anything other than the county selected bus stop would place her child by itself at a distance greater than what she felt was safe for the child. And apparently the county agreed and adjusted the pickup location.

If I have learned anything about this forum, it is that quite a lot of people like to drop turds and just walk away when either confronted or asked to clarify.
So for clarity, what was your handle before you came back as OccamsRazor?

OccamsRazor

I see nothing convenient about it, I just didn't see it as relevant. I also didn't see her justifying anything other than the county selected bus stop would place her child by itself at a distance greater than what she felt was safe for the child. And apparently the county agreed and adjusted the pickup location.
Maybe not relevant to the point you are trying to make. Very relevant to mine. Regardless, it was said. And, in the context which it was said it showed a contradiction. Which I asked about and was never answered.
Like I said. One moment she needs that convenient bus stop because she "had to get to work." The next moment she "can just have all the extra time to listen to her music."
So for clarity, what was your handle before you came back as OccamsRazor?
Not a returning participant. It doesn't take more than a few days (maybe even hours or minutes) to see that people contradict themselves. I have found the typical storyline to be:
- Some coveted forum member drops a turd
- Others commend the turd and agree OR Someone calls them on it or asks for an explanation
- When called out, said forum member either deflects or runs
- Its the end of it OR sometimes other forum "friends" come to their aid and usually start with ad hominem or shout-down tactics
- The cycle repeats

SamSpade

If I have learned anything about this forum, it is that quite a lot of people like to drop turds and just walk away when either confronted or asked to clarify.
For some people - making you give up by any means necessary constitutes a "win". And it can be name-calling.

I remember years ago, on a Yahoo group, there was a Brit who insisted that all Yanks are cowards - they only show up when the possibility of death is minimal. This was during the Bosnian conflict and of course, much was made of the fact that we were mostly dropping bombs.

NOTHING persuaded this guy - not dozens of arguments about American bravery or intervention would persuade him but worse - he just - got - personal - in his attacks. I gave up. What was the point?

I cam back to see how the thread went, days later. He was bragging about how we WON THE ARGUMENT with that Yank. He didn't "win" anything. Winning would be him either conclusively proving Americans are cowards, or me conceding the point. He bragged about intimidating me into leaving.

Hence - a win.

SOME PEOPLE - think that way. I was more often than not bullied on the playground by people who thought that in seventh grade - and still do. Making you BLINK "wins".

I do not share that sentiment. LEAVING is not blinking. It's realizing nothing further is gained by discussing with someone not worthy of your time.

OccamsRazor

I do not share that sentiment. LEAVING is not blinking. It's realizing nothing further is gained by discussing with someone not worthy of your time.
I can understand this posture when there has been actual conversation. However, when one just adds or comments on a discussion that is contradictory or inflammatory in nature and then just cuts and runs when asked to clarify or justify the comment... that is NOT "realizing nothing further is gained by discussing with someone not worthy of your time." That is dropping a turd and running.

SamSpade

- Some coveted forum member drops a turd
- Others commend the turd and agree OR Someone calls them on it or asks for an explanation
- When called out, said forum member either deflects or runs
- Its the end of it OR sometimes other forum "friends" come to their aid and usually start with ad hominem or shout-down tactics
- The cycle repeats
Coveted is the operative term. DeeJay is one, for me. She created, owns and maintains the site. She doesn't HAVE TO post anything. I go to lots of forums where the forum owner or operator never appears except to boot off undesirables.

There are others, but with one proviso - I know these people. IN PERSON. Met with them many times. That famous night I slipped and fell into Christy's pool cover? Went inside and gave a big fat hug to Ken - or at least I think I tried to. Rose, as you may guess, is my neighbor. Christy got me my last job. I do know these people. As many have moved away, we're Facebook friends and keep in touch, even though they are everywhere now - Florida - Iowa - SPAIN - to name a few.

So yeah, I defend them. It's normal.

They are not as you suppose, people I just know on the forums.

Last edited:

SamSpade

I can understand this posture when there has been actual conversation. However, when one just adds or comments on a discussion that is contradictory or inflammatory in nature and then just cuts and runs when asked to clarify or justify the comment... that is NOT "realizing nothing further is gained by discussing with someone not worthy of your time." That is dropping a turd and running.
People don't want to split hairs, either. This isn't a courtroom. You're just as likely to have people give up, because no one wants that.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Not looking for an argument either, but what I read was that as a working single parent her child in grades K - 5 was with a caregiver for both before and after school. Then when the child was in 6th grade the bus was caught near her residence that had a nearby resident able to monitor the activity.

She then went on with a separate comment that when she is traversing and encounters "school bus mayhem" she chills out and listens to her radio and doesn't let it bother her as the mayhem has always been and will always be there.

So, as I am reading it, your assertion would be wrong.

Thanks Ken. You get it.
Maybe not relevant to the point you are trying to make. Very relevant to mine. Regardless, it was said. And, in the context which it was said it showed a contradiction. Which I asked about and was never answered.
Like I said. One moment she needs that convenient bus stop because she "had to get to work." The next moment she "can just have all the extra time to listen to her music."
I made sure my child was in a safe environment for catching her buses. She has been out of school for several years now, so I no longer need to make any of those arrangements, hence, I can take my time and chill.

Reactions: rio

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Coveted is the operative term. DeeJay is one, for me. She created, owns and maintains the site. She doesn't HAVE TO post anything. I go to lots of forums where the forum owner or operator never appears except to boot off undesirables.

There are others, but with one proviso - I know these people. IN PERSON. Met with them many times. That famous night I slipped and fell into Christy's pool cover? Went inside and gave a big fat hug to Ken - or at least I think I tried to. Rose, as you may guess, is my neighbor. Christy got me my last job. I do know these people. As many have moved away, we're Facebook friends and keep in touch, even though they are everywhere now - Florida - Iowa - SPAIN - to name a few.

So yeah, I defend them. It's normal.

They are not as you suppose, people I just know on the forums.
Oh yes, I remember that night! :lol: Wasn't it the same night that the ceiling fell in on Watercolor's husband when he was in the bathroom? :lmao:

OccamsRazor

I made sure my child was in a safe environment for catching her buses. She has been out of school for several years now, so I no longer need to make any of those arrangements, hence, I can take my time and chill.
Thank you. So, my previous assertion was true then. When it directly affected you then your stance was "I have to get to work." Now, that it does not directly affect you, your stance is "I can take my time and chill."
But, what about those who it DOES affect now? People other than you. Point being that when it impacted you then it was an issue. Now that it only impacts other, it's not important?

SamSpade

Thank you. So, my previous assertion was true then. When it directly affected you then your stance was "I have to get to work." Now, that it does not directly affect you, your stance is "I can take my time and chill."
But, what about those who it DOES affect now? People other than you. Point being that when it impacted you then it was an issue. Now that it only impacts other, it's not important?
You know - when my wife has to drive to DC - something she doesn't do often - I ask "when are you driving?" Oh around 7. Oh - plan an extra hour. There will be traffic. To Baltimore? Midday - oh ok, but plan for rush hour on the WAY HOME.

I worked with this guy and I was complaining about how I always got updates to the specs LATE. Sometimes, AFTER when the changes are expected to be tested. He asked me "how often do they do this?". "ALWAYS - they are batting a thousand, actually" "So rather than anticipating it - and taking action to accommodate it - you complain about it?".

We get it. It sucks. I don't see the alternatives as being practical - or actionable. In high school debate, we had a negative argument called "attitudinal" or "systemic" inherency - meaning if the change you need requires a possibly insurmountable change in people's attitudes or the system on which they rely - you can count on your proposal being axed. Losing the inherency argument was certain defeat. If the best solution is for buses to drive longer routes and their parents to deal with it, or people moving closer to established (and I might add, capricious location) bus stops - in formal debate, that's a loser.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
:deadhorse

I already stated, people should make adjustments to their schedule, so they aren't as directly impacted. Just like Kyle said.

I'm kinda busy today and don't have the time to argue with you.

OccamsRazor

You know - when my wife has to drive to DC - something she doesn't do often - I ask "when are you driving?" Oh around 7. Oh - plan an extra hour. There will be traffic. To Baltimore? Midday - oh ok, but plan for rush hour on the WAY HOME.

I worked with this guy and I was complaining about how I always got updates to the specs LATE. Sometimes, AFTER when the changes are expected to be tested. He asked me "how often do they do this?". "ALWAYS - they are batting a thousand, actually" "So rather than anticipating it - and taking action to accommodate it - you complain about it?".

We get it. It sucks. I don't see the alternatives as being practical - or actionable. In high school debate, we had a negative argument called "attitudinal" or "systemic" inherency - meaning if the change you need requires a possibly insurmountable change in people's attitudes or the system on which they rely - you can count on your proposal being axed. Losing the inherency argument was certain defeat. If the best solution is for buses to drive longer routes and their parents to deal with it, or people moving closer to established (and I might add, capricious location) bus stops - in formal debate, that's a loser.
Agree with the "insurmountable change" point. If people are not going to put in the effort to make this change then the complaints that started this thread should be stopped as well. I made my initial points on where I stand and examples of why this should be addressed.

SamSpade

Agree with the "insurmountable change" point. If people are not going to put in the effort to make this change then the complaints that started this thread should be stopped as well. I made my initial points on where I stand and examples of why this should be addressed.
Then I promise, my last point on the thread - you’re wasting your breath if you think people will stop complaining about something they can’t change. It’s probably the biggest thing people DO complain about.