Stupid woman on the 830 applying fingernail polish!!!

bilbur

While I sympathized with your other post I feel you are in the wrong here. While I agree she should not have been spreading an offensive odor in the bus, you were being just as offensive. While I curse all the time I will only do it when I know the surrounding people don't care. Were there children on the bus? Did you even care to look? In a post I did in your other thread I said saying hurtful and racial slurs was because the guy had run out of intelligent things to say in the argument and it seems to me you reacted just as badly as he did. Just my opinion but that situation could have been handled much better and while the smell would have been annoying to me I would have left the bus thinking you were the jack@$$.

DEEKAYPEE8569

While I sympathized with your other post I feel you are in the wrong here. While I agree she should not have been spreading an offensive odor in the bus, you were being just as offensive. While I curse all the time I will only do it when I know the surrounding people don't care. Were there children on the bus? Did you even care to look? In a post I did in your other thread I said saying hurtful and racial slurs was because the guy had run out of intelligent things to say in the argument and it seems to me you reacted just as badly as he did. Just my opinion but that situation could have been handled much better and while the smell would have been annoying to me I would have left the bus thinking you were the jack@$$.

Two possible ways to deal with the situation:
1) Be honest, but civil: 'Excuse me, could you not do that right now?' 'I don't know about others here, but the smell is a bit much for this space.'
2) Be honest with an attempt at humor; like I would likely try: 'I'm sorry, could you not do that right now?' 'My eyes are foggin' up over here.'
If you get flipped off, etc., then you jump into this person's business with both feet.

Hank

my war
Two possible ways to deal with the situation:
1) Be honest, but civil: 'Excuse me, could you not do that right now?' 'I don't know about others here, but the smell is a bit much for this space.'
2) Be honest with an attempt at humor; like I would likely try: 'I'm sorry, could you not do that right now?' 'My eyes are foggin' up over here.'
If you get flipped off, etc., then you jump into this person's business with both feet.

Or:
3) Suck it up, Buttercup.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I believe he expressed some deserved righteous contemptuous indignation towards an ignorant untrained young woman who didn't have the upbringing to apply her fingernail polish the night prior, or the morning of, her work day before getting on that bus. Somehow, it seems, that many people feel it is their right to intrude, and encroach upon, others space, whatever that encroachment entails, and in this case, air space. What he also did in that moment, was to put others on notice, in case they ever wanted to try the same thing, that certain behaviors on a packed bus, and with no escape, will not be tolerated. Many times, his is the reaction needed in this, "better be quite and keep to myself and don't make a scene" society we have become. Aggressiveness, such as his, in that moment, does help to create, and maintain, a polite society. Also, you have to give him credit. He didn't use any qualifiers as to the woman's race or ethnicity.

steppinthrax

If I may ...

I believe he expressed some deserved righteous contemptuous indignation towards an ignorant untrained young woman who didn't have the upbringing to apply her fingernail polish the night prior, or the morning of, her work day before getting on that bus. Somehow, it seems, that many people feel it is their right to intrude, and encroach upon, others space, whatever that encroachment entails, and in this case, air space. What he also did in that moment, was to put others on notice, in case they ever wanted to try the same thing, that certain behaviors on a packed bus, and with no escape, will not be tolerated. Many times, his is the reaction needed in this, "better be quite and keep to myself and don't make a scene" society we have become. Aggressiveness, such as his, in that moment, does help to create, and maintain, a polite society. Also, you have to give him credit. He didn't use any qualifiers as to the woman's race or ethnicity.

bing bing bing bing.....

And if it were a man doing this and a small woman turned around and cursed me out and I acted soft. I would have been laughed at.

I'm sure many woman who responded to this post think there is nothing wrong with someone letting out fumes that can trigger asthma attacks (yes I have asthma).

I'm sure many woman think the real problem is I had some issue with her applying nail polish. Almost like I would have known this unless it had a smell. And that it's a woman's god given Amendment right to apply nail polish in a confined area. As this has been a common complaint with men........

WHAT A DOUBLE DOUBLE DOUBLE DOUBLE STANDARD WORLD WE LIVE IN......

Last edited:

Hank

my war
bing bing bing bing.....

And if it were a man doing this and a small woman turned around and cursed me out and I acted soft. I would have been laughed at.

I'm sure many woman who responded to this post think there is nothing wrong with someone letting out fumes that can trigger asthma attacks (yes I have asthma).

I'm sure many woman think the real problem is I had some issue with her applying nail polish. Almost like I would have known this unless it had a smell. And that it's a woman's god given Amendment right to apply nail polish in a confined area.

WHAT A DOUBLE DOUBLE DOUBLE DOUBLE STANDARD WORLD WE LIVE IN......

I have a friend in Portland, Maine that wears a gas mask when in public places. Have you considered this?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Aggressiveness, such as his, in that moment, does help to create, and maintain, a polite society.

This idea is all fine and well until the other person decides to respond in like kind. Then it becomes a shouting match and can easily escalate into physical violence. Violence not being a part of polite society.

steppinthrax

I have a friend in Portland, Maine that wears a gas mask when in public places. Have you considered this?

In certain situations I had my asthma get so bad that I had to pretty much stay in one place and not move for a few.....

I'm coming into work for a meeting, worse situation is her #### messes up my day....

steppinthrax

This idea is all fine and well until the other person decides to respond in like kind. Then it becomes a shouting match and can easily escalate into physical violence. Violence not being a part of polite society.

What exactly is a polite society.

I'm sorry, I graduated K years ago.

Hank

my war
In certain situations I had my asthma get so bad that I had to pretty much stay in one place and not move for a few.....

I'm coming into work for a meeting, worse situation is her #### messes up my day....

The_Boy_in_the_Plastic_Bubble.jpg

bilbur

If I may ...

But don't you feel that others have the right to ride on a bus without hearing expletives being thrown around loudly. I would have found that much more annoying than the fingernail polish. As for your argument of helping to create a polite society, what would have happened if someone took exception to his actions and jumped up screaming like a lunatic, then someone else took exception to their actions and so on and so forth. She was applying nail polish with no regard for anyone else just like he flew off the handle with no regard for anyone else. He may think he is speaking for everyone but if I were on the bus I would not want him representing me.

BernieP

Resident PIA
You are treated based on how you want to be treated. No based on some rule.... If you don't like how you are treated then take revenge or treat back. Or better yet, don't do stupid ####!!!!!

If your first reaction is to yell, then you have lost your audience. Have I stooped to using a few expletives to make a point, yes, but it was done after trying to make the same point in a more polite manner, the profanity laced tirade was done to make a point and to take someone down a notch or two. But I asked nice first.
If your first contact had been, "Excuse me, people are starting to smell your nail polish and it could be a problem for those with allergies.", it would have been a better start.

The second try might have been a little firmer, but the gloves come off for round 3, that's were you say, "Listen B****, put the cap on the bottle and stow it before I shove it up your a**."
And you don't scream it, you lower your voice and growl it to her.

BOP

So i'm heading into DC on the 830 this morning. Probably 10 mins before my stop I smell this strong turpentine smell. I look around and there is this stupid young bitch doing her fingernails in black with her headphones on. I shake my head and face forward. Another woman further back in the bus started smelling it and was voicing out "she shouldn't be doing that" etc... By that time the smell began to spread. Another woman/man starting to complain.

I turned around and the dialog was like this:

Me: Hey
Me: Hey, Some people have asthma on this bus.
Woman: (take headphones out) I'm sorry (the look on her face is almost like I'm asking if she wants her daily ####ing foot massage, by this time I'm irritated).
Me: SOME PEOPLE HAVE ASTHMA ON THIS BUS!!!!! (Yelled so loud the bus driver actually let off the gas a bit).
Woman: I'm sorry (small tiny voice).
Me: ####ING #######!!!!! (bus went quiet, another guy looked at me and kind of snickered)
Me: #### YOU'RE SORRY (by this time the bus driver was trying to figure out if he was driving a city bus off branch ave or if he was on a bus coming from Dunkirk, MD)

LOL

@ClemShady #appliancerepairwhileyouwait

BOP

When I was in Baltimore I rode the 15X (15 express) for some time (year or so). This bus starts around St Paul, runs all the way up Belair Road all through the projects etc....

So you pretty much get a cross section/taste of Baltimore.

If this type of #### happened on that bus 20 different people will step up to make that person understand right from wrong. Pretty much they would get a free BRAIN RE-WIRING for life or 20 years worth of intense deep psychotherapy in about 10 seconds!!!!!