Tell me about your home town

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Belleville, NJ. Cherry blossom capital of the US.

An amazing place to grow up. It was a suburb of NYC/Newark. Growing up I only saw 2 homes built as all the lots were used up. We played in the street or in the fields under the power lines. We didn't lock the doors. I could go out and always get in the house without a key. We attended the neighborhood school. I never took a school bus. We burned an incredible amount of calories running around and playing outside. Nobody had ADD as far as I know. We got corporal punishment in school and if you acted up in school and got paddled, you probably got a beating when you got home.

We had a lot of mafia wannabes in the area. Plenty of connect folks in the neighborhood. In the show The Sopranos, Uncle Junior and Big Pussy lived in my home town. Belleville is the home of Savoy Chicken. It originates from the Belmont Tavern. It's also a well know mafia hangout.

[FONT=&amp]On August 8, 1994 Steve Lenehan walked off the streets of New Jersey for the last time. He became, in the words of the U.S. Attorney in Newark, "one of the most productive cooperators the District of New Jersey has ever seen."[/FONT][FONT=&amp] For the previous two years he had wore a wire on the streets and caught 343 conversations between 50 mobsters in New Jersey and New York. That taped evidence, supported by his testimony, resulted in the conviction of 26 mobsters from the Genovese, Luchesse, Bonnano, Gambino, Colombo, and Bruno-Scarfo crime families.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] Steve worked the streets of Jersey from his "headquarters" at the Belmont Tavern on Bloomfield Ave.[/FONT]

I could not think of a better place to grow up. Now when I travel there to visit family, I cringe at the changes. Last century most of the citizens of Belleville were of Italian descent. 85% of my high school had a last name that ended in an I or an O. Today caucasians are the minority. Crime is rampant and there are 2-3 murders there a year.

Recently the town dedicated the street that I grew up on to my older brother that died in the service to our country. I'm glad they did that and that my mom got to see the ceremony.

Belleville is also the home of Connie Francis, Moe Berg (baseball player and spy), Frankie Valli, Tommy DeVito, Joe Pesci and the band members of My Chemical Romance. Many 9/11 victims were Bellevillites.

PeoplesElbow

Anybody remember this variety store ?

G.C. Murphy Memories

I notice they're all over Pennsylvania, among other places. The one in Oxon Hill/ Eastover, MD is still in business.

A bit late for this but we had one, the clothes and most of the stuff they sold was absolute junk, but they had a breakfast/lunch counter that I loved going to as a kid (the late 70's). Nothing like greasy bacon and eggs from there to make the shopping trips with mom worth it.

We also had a McCory just down the block that sold dyed chicks and bunnies at Easter time.

FED_UP

Miss one old huge house, huge blackberry tree, huge cherry tree, raspberry bushes, honey suckles. Picked up a turtle one time in a road near by, must have been 9 inches round, I put it in the red wagon and put water in it, I came back later and the turtle was gone haha. The sounds of morning doves, lots of fireflies at night.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Hometown- Nanortailk, Greenland. A little fishing town on southwestern tip of Greenland. I'm one of only 2 Americans born there, after me they shut down manned USCG LORAN ops there. Someday I'd like to go back.

Since I only lived in Greenland for less than a year, I call East Falmouth, Cape Cod, MA home. Cape Cod is nothing but tourists and libs, I only go up to see family if I have too, lol.

Lived in MD since 1994 when I got stationed at Andrews AFB and retired in St Mary's County.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Born in West Springfield, MA, lived there save for going to college at Norwich U in Vermont, until I wed at age 25. My mom still lives in the house my dad bought her in March 1964. We are spread out a bit. My brother lives near State College, PA. One sister lives a little outside of Hartford, CT and the other in Worcester, MA. I am, and have been since 1982, the furthest away.

I was a solid B student all through K - 12, was pretty indifferent to town sports once I got out of Little League at age 10, save I did compete in small bore rifle, archery and fencing. Spent most of my time in Boy Scouts or playing military simulation table top games with friends.

Town was first settled in 1635 (still have one house standing, which was built in 1642, addition put on in 1754), incorporated in 1774. Had a prisoner of war camp there during the American Revolution housing Hessians, another, smaller one, during WW1 housing Germans.

Westside (as it is on the west bank of the Connecticut River across from the city of Springfield) is the home to the Eastern States Exposition, the "state fair" for all six New England states.

It is also the birth place of the first Morgan horse. The Morgan family still has a farm on the property they've had since the 1750's.

Along one line, I'm 12th generation of my family born in Massachusetts. My 1st European ancestor to come to America was Matthias Farnsworth, born in Eccles, England during 1612. He was part of the resupply cargo on the ships that came to Plymouth in the summer of 1622. He was an apprentice weaver and bond servant who did not receive his freedom until he was 59 years old. He died a well respected and well-to-do member of the Groton, MA citizenry.

Lincoln, NE - pop. 262,341

Smack dab in the middle of the US, Lincoln boasts a major university and several smaller ones, a pretty darn good college football program, and several incredible performing arts venues. There are numerous opportunities for entertainment and restaurants for every taste.

Lincoln has a proper downtown, with offices, shopping, bars and restaurants, and apartments all within walking distance. In fact, that's what we used to do when I was a teen - go downtown and hang out. You feel safe at night roaming the downtown streets because there are always a bunch of other people doing the same - going to movies, dinner, or just walking around.

In the summer, they close off a section of downtown to traffic for a weekend and have a huge street party with bands, crafts and food. Throughout the year there are a bunch of other festivals, including a BBQ cookoff and (I kid you not) a Zombiefest.

Lincoln is a city, with city amenities, but has small town charm and friendliness. It's laid out in neighborhoods - Capitol Beach, University Place, Belmont, etc - each of which have their own unique personality and mini-downtown commercial area.

It has four television stations with real reporters and new anchors, plus a zillion radio stations.

There is also a municipal airport right in the city that I usually fly into when I go back, and a larger airport 50 miles away in Omaha.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Lincoln, NE - pop. 262,341

Smack dab in the middle of the US, Lincoln boasts a major university and several smaller ones, a pretty darn good college football program, and several incredible performing arts venues. There are numerous opportunities for entertainment and restaurants for every taste.

Lincoln has a proper downtown, with offices, shopping, bars and restaurants, and apartments all within walking distance. In fact, that's what we used to do when I was a teen - go downtown and hang out. You feel safe at night roaming the downtown streets because there are always a bunch of other people doing the same - going to movies, dinner, or just walking around.

In the summer, they close off a section of downtown to traffic for a weekend and have a huge street party with bands, crafts and food. Throughout the year there are a bunch of other festivals, including a BBQ cookoff and (I kid you not) a Zombiefest.

Lincoln is a city, with city amenities, but has small town charm and friendliness. It's laid out in neighborhoods - Capitol Beach, University Place, Belmont, etc - each of which have their own unique personality and mini-downtown commercial area.

It has four television stations with real reporters and new anchors, plus a zillion radio stations.

There is also a municipal airport right in the city that I usually fly into when I go back, and a larger airport 50 miles away in Omaha.

:lol: :high5:

Toxick

Splat
Baltimore:

Not generally considered one of America's Great Cities, however once was a great town of beauty and culture. Now it's an unfortunate toilet bowl filled to the rim with blight and decay.

Still home to one of America's notable dialects, and majestic accents, hon. I have family there, visit often, and I still love the goddam dump, and I root for all teams homed in Baltimore, and there are still a few remaining safe places where you can take your family to without fear of being jumped robbed and raped. Before dark.

Edit: Holy crap. I didn't realize this was such an old thread, and I don't remember writing a little essay a couple years ago earlier in this thread. Not much different since then.

Last edited: