Tell me about your home town

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
You live there?
I don't go back much; can't stand the sight of the old neighborhood..what were once farm fields all filled up with $750,000 oversized homes.

Planning to ride up to the Lisbon firehouse soon though,,just passed the 30th anniversary of the rescue squad saving my life in '81 and I want to drop off a donation.

I live in Waldorf now. I went to school up in Westminster though and lived in Woodbine.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I live in Waldorf now. I went to school up in Westminster though and lived in Woodbine.

Woodbine was always our mailing address..even though the farm was actually on the "other side" of Lisbon from Woodbine.

The old man sold the Lisbon farm in '70 though and we moved to a larger one in Glenelg...but at that time Glenelg was exactly the same size as Lisbon so not much changed.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
My older brother answered a question in a thread on facebook about ONE of the towns we grew up in Seymour, CT..

The question was asked if you had moved away, where did you go?

My brother started when he was born and ended basically in 1972 when we got to Steilacoom WA. We left him there in 1976 and my sister in Utah the same time.. as my mom, dad and little Bobby moved back East to NH.

Anyways, my brothers list went from the time he was born in Hawaii, to 1972 when we moved to WA..

I continued his list with all the places I had moved to since 1972

My Brother's List:

Oahu, Hawaii
Fort Lewis, WA
Fort Bragg, NC This is where I come into the picture.
Seymour..62-63 They had to wait until I was 1 to go overseas
Kitzingen, Germany. 63-May 66 story is 1st brithday on the boat
Fort Irwin, CA May 66 - Sept 66
Seymour Sept 66 - Oct 67
Portsmouth, NH. Oct 67 - Sept 69
Seymour Sept 69 - Dec 23, 1970
Hanau, Germany. Dec 24 1970- Oct 1973
Tacoma, WA Oct 73 - march 82
Boise, ID March 83 -

I'll just continue from where we left my brother..
73-76 Ft Lewis/Steilacom WA
76-80 Derry, NH
80-83 Fulda Germany
83-86 Ft Knox, KY
86-90 Schweinfurt Germany
90-93 Manchester, NH
93-96 Rochester,NH
96-2003 Oil City,PA
2003-2006 Solomons, MD
2006-now Dameron, MD
I'm slowing down, think I'm selling down.
10 July at 17:43 via Mobile · LikeUnlike

Pick a place... I really do consider any and all of them "home"..

And You see Seymour, CT on the list a few times.. that's fairly significant for our family.. That's when we were "dadless".. When my dad was in Vietnam, or Korea and my mom was a single mom of three kids. We always went back to her home town to be near her family, and my Uncle's became our surrogate dad during our dad's absence. Luckily the surrogate dad job was only temporary as we were the lucky kids whose dad always made it back.

Last edited:

luvmygdaughters

Born in DC in 1955, lived there for little while, but Clinton will always be my hometown. Went to Surrattsville Elem, Surrattsville Jr. High and graduated from Surrattsville Sr. High. That was when CLinton was considered rural. When we moved there, they didnt even have a 7-11. We used to ride our bikes all over the place in summer. After our chores were done on Saturday morning we'd be gone all day until Mom called you in for dinner. Our neighbors were our "other parents" because if they saw you doing something you should'nt , they either wacked your butt or made sure they told your parents, who would then wack your butt. I can remember on many an occasion riding over to Lanes Store. It was a Mom & Pop place that sold everything from food to sewing supplies. They had penny candy and a dime soda machine. My father would send me over to buy him a pack of cigarettes, yes kids could buy them then. He would give 50 cents, cigarettes cost 30 cents, I had a whole 20 cents to spend on candy and soda. Life was good.

SoMDGirl42

Hollywood in the house!

"the Park" was st. mary's square with no crime

we didn't lock our doors

I spent as much time at "Dorsey Park" as kids do now, but it was nothing but a huge corn field that we played hide and seek in all summer

The "gulf" station was the only gas station

TJs and early bird had the best icecream cones

My grandparents owned the greenhouse that used to be at the corner of 235/245 before they tore it down to build the dual lanes

The railroad tracks went across the intersection at 235/245 and if you went fast enough over them, you could get air :killingme

The hollywood carnival was the highlight of the whole summer

and some things never change, Toots, Hole in the Wall, The Moose Lodge were all dives where the drunks hung out and started all the trouble. Back in the day, the drunks would start fights with the drunks from the neighboring watering hole. If you went to one, you weren't welcome in the others. :roflmao: McCoys and Hatfields they were.

Cow tipping and "borrowing" horses was always fun

I attended three schools, Hollywood Elementary, Leon. Middle and Leon. High.

My mom still lives in the same house I grew up in. When I got married, I moved two houses down the street :lol:

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Laurel, born and raised. Great little town. Great location. I graduated in 1982 and death to me was a few classmates and some horrible car crash. One guy got electrocuted messing with the hi tension lines. I remember exactly ZERO murders, of any kind, growing up.

Fast forward to 2007; guy wired my farm house for cable. Turns out he was LHS class of 1992. 10 years. One decade. He lost TEN CLASSMATES to murder. Not car wrecks. Not a failure to understand Ohms law. HOMICIDE. Not 10 kids in school; 10 classmates.

Laurel went downhill hard and fast in the late 80's and I don't even recognize it anymore. I avoid it like the plague. My grandmother got robbed and beaten by some nasty white trash chick at the mall. Last time I was there, I was sitting at Contee Rd and Route 1 which was the boon docks when I was a kid. There were so many stores and lights and buildings and just stuff, I literally got disorientated and thought I might be at Cherry lane and Rt 1, which had started to grow commercially before I left.

I nearly cried. My home town became HELL. It is every horrible thing we were taught in civics about the megalopolis. It's horrible.

:bawl:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I nearly cried. My home town became HELL. It is every horrible thing we were taught in civics about the megalopolis. It's horrible.

I know what you mean; my gf for my last year of HS (75/76) lived in Laurel so I spent a lot of time there. Heiser (Heyser?) Cycles was where I bought nearly all my MX bikes and parts for them too (Montesa's)

Only "driven through" a couple times in any recent years and I don't know anyone there any more.

bcp

In My Opinion
Laurel, born and raised. Great little town. Great location. I graduated in 1982 and death to me was a few classmates and some horrible car crash. One guy got electrocuted messing with the hi tension lines. I remember exactly ZERO murders, of any kind, growing up.

Fast forward to 2007; guy wired my farm house for cable. Turns out he was LHS class of 1992. 10 years. One decade. He lost TEN CLASSMATES to murder. Not car wrecks. Not a failure to understand Ohms law. HOMICIDE. Not 10 kids in school; 10 classmates.

Laurel went downhill hard and fast in the late 80's and I don't even recognize it anymore. I avoid it like the plague. My grandmother got robbed and beaten by some nasty white trash chick at the mall. Last time I was there, I was sitting at Contee Rd and Route 1 which was the boon docks when I was a kid. There were so many stores and lights and buildings and just stuff, I literally got disorientated and thought I might be at Cherry lane and Rt 1, which had started to grow commercially before I left.

hate to tell you but, your hometown started going to hell in the mid to late 70s.

Wenchy

Hot Flash

I feel your pain. :huggy:

Buzzlightyear3

Moorestown, NJ

I grew up in NJ (southern) in a pretty town called Moorestown. It was a typical small town with a Main Street full of shops and a great bakery.
You could walk anywhere safely even late at night on sidewalks with real street lights! We had lots of parades - Halloween, Christmas, and Memorial Day. Also when our football team won a home game, the band would lead an impromptu parade up to Main Street. Thanksgiving day always included a football game against our rivals.

Unfortunately, in the late 70's the property taxes became so high that my parents moved to Delaware to escape them. Now a lot of the Eagles and Phillies players live in Moorestown in huge homes costing in the millions.

One thing that was neat about my town is that it was founded by Quakers. There is still a Quaker school there and church. Because of the Quaker influence, the town was "dry". To this day there are no bars or liquor stores within the town limits. This is common in NJ - dry or wet towns. The nicer towns are dry.

Anyway! I'd love to move back there but simply can't afford to.

~mellabella~

Norfolk, VA.

I feel safer in my little home in Waldorf than I ever did living in Norfolk. But I do like all the history that's in Norfolk. That and the family that still live there are the only reasons I return "home".

itsbob

I bowl overhand

My hometown is still a fairly small town/city, but they're famous for PAMELA Smart (Don't get a divorce, do it the Smart way)... and Jay Brooks...

E

EmptyTimCup

My older brother answered a question in a thread on facebook about ONE of the towns we grew up in Seymour, CT..

90-93 Manchester, NH
93-96 Rochester,NH
96-2003 Oil City,PA

we have armored divisions in NH ?

E

EmptyTimCup

Anybody remember this variety store ?

G.C. Murphy Memories

I notice they're all over Pennsylvania, among other places. The one in Oxon Hill/ Eastover, MD is still in business.

in the 1970s mom did the grocery shopping @ Acme in Oxon Hill, I was in the GC Murphy every Friday .... and the Dart Drug ....

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
I grew up in NJ (southern) in a pretty town called Moorestown. It was a typical small town with a Main Street full of shops and a great bakery.
You could walk anywhere safely even late at night on sidewalks with real street lights! We had lots of parades - Halloween, Christmas, and Memorial Day. Also when our football team won a home game, the band would lead an impromptu parade up to Main Street. Thanksgiving day always included a football game against our rivals.

Unfortunately, in the late 70's the property taxes became so high that my parents moved to Delaware to escape them. Now a lot of the Eagles and Phillies players live in Moorestown in huge homes costing in the millions.

One thing that was neat about my town is that it was founded by Quakers. There is still a Quaker school there and church. Because of the Quaker influence, the town was "dry". To this day there are no bars or liquor stores within the town limits. This is common in NJ - dry or wet towns. The nicer towns are dry.

Anyway! I'd love to move back there but simply can't afford to.

Moorestown is also nicer than most of the towns nearby (Browns Mills, Cherry Hill, Pennsauken)!