The debate...

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
vraiblonde said:
Bush hit Kerry hard when he brought up Kerry's Gulf War vote. Is that true? Did Kerry really vote against kicking Saddam out of Kuwait? Must look that up...
yep... it's true!

oldman

Lobster Land
BuddyLee said:
I guess that is where we disagree oldman. I don't believe anyone should fight a war they don't believe in but like you said you gotta do what you gotta do. Was it un-American for John Kerry to come back and express his first amendment rights? The VVAW's ideals?

OK, in my time we did have the draft so I can understand why ?some? fled to Canada. But the fact is we no longer have a draft, it's an all volunteer force. What does it mean to you to be a volunteer in our armed forces? If you didn't/don"t want to fight for your country then just don't volunteer. At the same time in this day and age, I also understand why ?some? opt out in their own way. As I said war is He!! and to be honest I just saw bombs exploding in Nam and I was scared as sh!t, but at the same time if I were told to go ashore I would have followed orders. My viewpoint is entirely different from Kerry's who went there and then came back and did what he did. Needless to day he and Jane Fonda are not amoung my list of favorite people to assiciate with.

Bogart

BuddyLee said:
How can I possibly make an assumption on the paper as a whole if I don't read the paper? I have read this one article in particular and that is where my assumption lies. Perhaps they are uber-liberal, I don't know. Just revealing what I was able to get from your source.
BoyLove is never wrong lol:burning:

BuddyLee

Football addict
oldman said:
OK, in my time we did have the draft so I can understand why ?some? fled to Canada. But the fact is we no longer have a draft, it's an all volunteer force. What does it mean to you to be a volunteer in our armed forces? If you didn't/don"t want to fight for your country then just don't volunteer. At the same time in this day and age, I also understand why ?some? opt out in their own way. As I said war is He!! and to be honest I just saw bombs exploding in Nam and I was scared as sh!t, but at the same time if I were told to go ashore I would have followed orders. My viewpoint is entirely different from Kerry's who went there and then came back and did what he did. Needless to day he and Jane Fonda are not amoung my list of favorite people to assiciate with.
I think I got the bulk of what you are saying. Then we had a draft, now we don't. Now if you don't want to fight in our armed forces you don't have to. Then you could be drafted. However, I do believe Kerry volunteered. Perhaps he changed his mind after seeing the horrors of war.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Now Jesse Jackson is on Fox. :rolleyes: I can never understand a word that guy says. They should subtitle him.

BuddyLee

Football addict
vraiblonde said:
Now Jesse Jackson is on Fox. :rolleyes: I can never understand a word that guy says. They should subtitle him.
:lmao: It doesn't get much better on MSNBC with Ron Reagan.

BuddyLee

Football addict
vraiblonde said:
"Afn wopple dep sudosecon ebbidents wuh de wimmah if. Ritta pippo goh conshitumal menamet widder tippahl."

:confused:
Did he play Buckwheat in the original cast of The Little Rascals?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
BuddyLee said:
Did he play Buckwheat in the original cast of The Little Rascals?
I could understand every word Buckwheat said. And it's not because he's black because I've never heard a black person talk like that in my life.

oldman

Lobster Land
BuddyLee said:
I think I got the bulk of what you are saying. Then we had a draft, now we don't. Now if you don't want to fight in our armed forces you don't have to. Then you could be drafted. However, I do believe Kerry volunteered. Perhaps he changed his mind after seeing the horrors of war.

I understand what you're getting at, but I also think you've lost some sight on what volunteerism is. Granted at a younger age a lot do not understand what it may entail other than getting a free education or whatever. We will continue to be at some type of war for as long as I'm alive and probably longer and I really do believe that if someone volunteers to be involved they should be. I'm old schooled so I can only speak from what I feel and believe(d). Today is different than in my day and I understand that, but......

BuddyLee

Football addict
oldman said:
I understand what you're getting at, but I also think you've lost some sight on what volunteerism is. Granted at a younger age a lot do not understand what it may entail other than getting a free education or whatever. We will continue to be at some type of war for as long as I'm alive and probably longer and I really do believe that if someone volunteers to be involved they should be. I'm old schooled so I can only speak from what I feel and believe(d). Today is different than in my day and I understand that, but......
Yes he volunteered and did his duty according to the U.S. military. My question is, is it alright to have an opinion after your duty has been served?

oldman

Lobster Land
BuddyLee said:
Yes he volunteered and did his duty according to the U.S. military. My question is, is it alright to have an opinion after your duty has been served?

Yes I do have to agree with you it's OK to have an opinion after your duty has been served. The fact that he only served in Nam in 4 months nothstanding. I might tell my immediate friends my opinions, but I certainly wouldn't take them to the level he did. How would you feel if you were serving overseas and heard one of your ex-mates was telling everyone you were on a mission not worth the effort? I know you "may not" be able to understand that because you've never been put in that situation, but believe me it would not make you feel warm and fuzzy. I am not against free speech, but I do have "my own" limits on what is right or wrong to speak about.

BuddyLee

Football addict
oldman said:
Yes I do have to agree with you it's OK to have an opinion after your duty has been served. The fact that he only served in Nam in 4 months nothstanding.
Only after getting wounded four times.

I might tell my immediate friends my opinions, but I certainly wouldn't take them to the level he did.
And this shows exceptional value as to how strongly he stands for his beliefs and politics.

How would you feel if you were serving overseas and heard one of your ex-mates was telling everyone you were on a mission not worth the effort? I know you "may not" be able to understand that because you've never been put in that situation, but believe me it would not make you feel warm and fuzzy. I am not against free speech, but I do have "my own" limits on what is right or wrong to speak about
Not sure what I'd feel. Depends on where I heard the news from and what particular spin was put on it. From what I read of Kerry's statement to the Congress I saw nothing to consider every and all soldiers took part in the acts he mentions.

...I don't want to get into the game of saying I represent everybody over there
http://www.richmond.edu/~ebolt/history398/JohnKerryTestimony.html

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I like what Kerrry had to say about health care.
My program (run by civil servents, funded by taxpayers) is not a government program.