The immigration problem

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Not you, but there are ways for companies like yours to hire legal aliens in such a way as to cost American jobs, ones bought and paid for by the highest bidder. Say Disney. While not the point of that article, paid for bypasses that allow companies to hire in Sanjay for 25K a year and boot Bob, those need to be looked at.

Again, still LEGAL immigration.. something nobody has come out against..

In fact what you are talking about are people we WANT to migrate to the US. People with a needed skill or education.. not a criminal.. can actually serve a purpose, be employed, and pay taxes.

Restitution

So instead of discussing the topic you point out a typo i made? Very juvenile.

Everyone else is doing a phenomenal job of pointing out your flaws with regards to the topic discussion. I didn't want to jump on the bandwagon and pile on so I chose grammar :yay:

Sapidus

The simple point of my post is that it is very difficult for any legitimate company, corporation, LLC etc to get away with employing illegals. Those that have done so are quickly and brutally made examples of too, when caught.

Again. You must not have read or understood the article. This is a huge company. They have done this for decades. They have faced minor fines in comparison to their profits. They had trouble finding g Americans willing to do the work so They specifically sought out Illegal immigrants and in some cases gave them fake documents. The law punishes the workers and not the company. Obama tried to change that but it looks like Donny Moscow is going to rescind that.

You can't be naive enough to think they are the only company doing this. You can't be naive enough to think because it doesn't happen in your industry it doesn't happen.

Sapidus

Everyone else is doing a phenomenal job of pointing out your flaws with regards to the topic discussion. I didn't want to jump on the bandwagon and pile on so I chose grammar :yay:

Please point them out to me. All i've seen are dumb jokes, insults and commentary that has nothing to do with the point of the post save one intelligent post that i responded to.

Do you reply to all of Trump's misspelled tweets with such arrogance?

black dog

Free America
Ah yes...dear Uncle Frank. *sniff*...he even helped me get accepted in to the university named after him. I owe him big time.

Oh my a boilermaker.... I should have known.. my last business, I drilled holes for hydraulic elevator cylinders. I did the hole for Perdues Black Culture Center 19+- years ago.
I'll tell a story about the Perdue Engineer that checked the finished hole and didn't believe me that my drill rig, a Bucyrus percussion drill with a 36 ft Derrick with a 2600 lb drill bit hanging on a 1 1/4" cable was the biggest plumb bob he saw or used.
I showed him the levels on my drill rig and set the bit inside of the casing and showed him the bit was in the middle ot the casing.
I dropped the bit about every 5 ft and showed him tbe centered bit each time untill I reached the bottom of the 72 ft hole. He didn't believe me that it was plumb.
He checked my hole for being plump with a level across the hole casing and a flashlight on a string and looked at the halo ring from the light in the bottom of a 70' deep 24" diameter hole. Lol.. I told my wife to never bid another job on Perdue campus again..
I'm hopeful that's where my kid will spend his last two years to finish his degree.
That or Md College Park if he can get into either.

black dog

Free America
LOL. yep..no matter how you want to spell it, I is one.

Great school though. I was both a student and employee.

Indiana is lacking alot of things, but we do have a few great Engineering Colleges.
I shoot with a kid that graduated last year from Rose Hulman.. smart kid, he made me go home and read up on Electric cars so I was better prepared for our next conversation.

glhs837

Power with Control
Again, still LEGAL immigration.. something nobody has come out against..

In fact what you are talking about are people we WANT to migrate to the US. People with a needed skill or education.. not a criminal.. can actually serve a purpose, be employed, and pay taxes.

Well, not if you are firing employed Americans to make room for them. Love me some hardworking immigrants, but not a company that fires 80K a year Bob soley because they can get a work visa for Sanjay to come in at 30K.

Clem72

Indiana is lacking alot of things, but we do have a few great Engineering Colleges.
I shoot with a kid that graduated last year from Rose Hulman.. smart kid, he made me go home and read up on Electric cars so I was better prepared for our next conversation.

I thought it really doesn't matter how good they are, until they make one you can use to smoke out a cyclist as you pass then it won't fit your needs.

black dog

Free America
I thought it really doesn't matter how good they are, until they make one you can use to smoke out a cyclist as you pass then it won't fit your needs.

You don't know me well enough, my daily hooptie is a Lexus sedan.
The diesel is for date night, real trucks don't have spark plugs.

Clem72

The simple point of my post is that it is very difficult for any legitimate company, corporation, LLC etc to get away with employing illegals. Those that have done so are quickly and brutally made examples of too, when caught.

While we don't always agree, I know you usually have some research or logical reasoning supporting your positions. How can you honestly say this with a straight face? I have personally worked with at least a dozen companies, large and small, that employ tons and tons of illegals. To the best of my knowledge none of them have ever had any significant issues doing so.

black dog

Free America
I worked around a bunch myself for about 10 years.
I would say that some companies can look at a Social Security card that was printed out on Avery business card stock with a bubble jet printer and not hire that person and some could care less.
The same goes for fake green cards.
The fines should be brutal for Companys that hire illegals.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Large corporations rely on this cheap labor to provide their product at low costs

But they didn't used to. So what changed?

If we stop immigration these jobs willl have to offer more money and workplace protections

So you're saying that underpaying immigrants and denying them workplace protections is okay?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The fines should be brutal for Companys that hire illegals.

The only company I know of personally that hires illegals (or used to, anyway) has a lot of government pull and raises a great deal of money for political campaigns of lawmakers. I do not believe he is an isolated case. So I'm guessing that the reason companies who hire illegals don't get punished is because....they've bought themselves some protection.

Clem72

But they didn't used to. So what changed?

As mentioned before, living off the dole is too damn kush. Why bother risking your benefits for the legitimate low wage job, and why bust your ass doing menial labor for under the table pay when you can sit on your ass playing video games or watching Judge Judy in your section 8 house with all the air conditioning you could want and steak on the state?

When I was young, the "welfare" folk lived in #### housing, sat on the porch all day because they had no AC, and ate government cheese.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
While we don't always agree, I know you usually have some research or logical reasoning supporting your positions. How can you honestly say this with a straight face?

How recently though? The document verification and reporting requirements we have to abide these days are nothing like they were in days gone by.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/06/30/doj-increasing-penalty-for-hiring-illegal-immigrants.html

https://www.businessblogshub.com/2016/01/what-are-the-penalties-for-hiring-illegal-workers/

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
Small Companys certainly can't afford to pay off anyone. I worked one summer at Kenwood Country Club on the golf course, at least twice that summer immigration made raids on the clubs kitchen and housekeeping staff. You would see them​ running across the golf course like the Benny Hill show. And that would be over 15 to 30 people, you just didn't see that for the last 30 years until recently.
I ran a division of Denison Landscaping, I had 80 to 100 employees under me, never once did INS come in and check paperwork, and he had over 500 employees from South of the border.
The new HNIC is making changes, it will take some time, but he will make it happen.

Clem72

How recently though? The document verification and reporting requirements we have to abide these days are nothing like they were in days gone by.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/06/30/doj-increasing-penalty-for-hiring-illegal-immigrants.html

https://www.businessblogshub.com/2016/01/what-are-the-penalties-for-hiring-illegal-workers/

Interesting links. The last time I know for a fact that the workers were illegal was probably around 2013. Given that the link says that for multiple violations the fine is capped around $23k (and it's a pittance on a per violation basis) I figure the companies will likely continue to take the risk. If there isn't a union for the work, and the workers aren't customer facing, who is going to report on the company?

And you may also have a skewed perspective working with companies that do contract work with the government, since you do have to report on your employees (and unlike the IRS they actually care).